BC Fires

update.... in the past 24 hours we have had 26 new fires... all lightning strikes. Just in the Kootenays.

Good news, Bad news.

Temperatures are due to drop this weekend and bring some rain.
Unfortunately that cold "front" will bring thunderstorms and more lightning.

To make a difference, reverse the rapid fire expansion, we need 2 weeks of solid rain. Or snow.

Reactions: StG58
Thanks for the updates @billiebob, this is going to be a mess. I don't know how it works up in your neck of the woods, but down here the burned over land starts moving and sliding when the rain sets in. Crazy stuff, where a whole hill side comes down in a sheet off the slick rock underneath. I hope it doesn't work that way up there.

Reactions: LTTJ
I don't think the sliding land thing really applies here. Sure the timber is useless but the dead trees are still standing and everything below the surface is still intact. Once a fire rolls thru the regeneration is pretty spectacular for the next 5-10 years. But yeah it takes 40 years to grow another forest. I think we have more issues with land slides in mature stands than in freshly burnt stands.

I'm on the board of our community owned logging company and I'm always amazed at how many trees we plant every year. 170,000 so far this year.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
update.... in the past 24 hours we have had 26 new fires... all lightning strikes. Just in the Kootenays.

Good news, Bad news.

Temperatures are due to drop this weekend and bring some rain.
Unfortunately that cold "front" will bring thunderstorms and more lightning.

To make a difference, reverse the rapid fire expansion, we need 2 weeks of solid rain. Or snow.

I can't imagine what it's like up there. Down here in Salem, Oregon, the sky is so hazy you can't see the sun. For the past week and a half anytime I go outside, it looks like a nuclear fallout or something. My daughter (who is 4), commented today and said, "Dad, why are the skies so smokey?".

So I'm just thinking, if it's this smokey down here, it must be worse up there.

Are they making any progress at all on any of the fires? I have to assume it's become a national emergency (or whatever they call it in Canada)?

More local than national.

BC declared a state of emergency about July 15th. Mostly that brings in a lot of outside aid and gives the government and provincial agencies the power to regulate and protect both people and resources. I know some Americans hate regulation but it really is required to minimize damages and level the playing field for all the resource companies trying to remain profitable and competitive.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
anyone else see the face and hand...

facehand inclouds.jpg

Reactions: Chris and LTTJ
The fire which is 30 miles from home is jumping a half mile at a time. And the fire by Salmo, BC jumped the Salmo River last night. Rain forecast for today is now forecast for tomorrow. Heres a photo from northern BC.

GBC150629BF2_tnb_3.jpg

The fire which is 30 miles from home is jumping a half mile at a time. And the fire by Salmo, BC jumped the Salmo River last night. Rain forecast for today is now forecast for tomorrow. Heres a photo from northern BC.

View attachment 20323

Stay safe up there. Being only 30 miles from your home, you must be engulfed in smoke!

@biliebob and @Chris: Finally, our AQI is 23 - Green! Haven't seen that for a couple of weeks. We have the doors open to let in fresh air. Hoping that the Oregon range fires smoke doesn't come up here. We have SW prevailing winds. But for now, breathable.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
@biliebob and @Chris: Finally, our AQI is 23 - Green! Haven't seen that for a couple of weeks. We have the doors open to let in fresh air. Hoping that the Oregon range fires smoke doesn't come up here. We have SW prevailing winds. But for now, breathable.

It's raining down here in Oregon for the first time in a while (thank goodness), and the air quality (for the meantime) is great. I wonder how long it will last?

Reactions: TomT509