Beach sand tire pressure on stock wranglers.

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
Did a dummy road trip in the TJ to my favourite car camping beach today and Q is what tire pressure should I deflate to for very fine boggy soft beach sand on stock wheels with stock wranglers?
ps I have only ever walked this lol

Cheers

dunes.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve driven on the beach over here a few times and only ever aired down once when I planned on being there all day and was traveling a decent distance. I’ve done plenty of trip on the beach without airing down. I’m a stick TJ 15-20psi is totally safe and should help out.

I’ve driven on the beach over here a few times and only ever aired down once when I planned on being there all day and was traveling a decent distance. I’ve done plenty of trip on the beach without airing down. I’m a stick TJ 15-20psi is totally safe and should help out.
Same here. I started out airing down on the Jersey beaches but after a few trips I realized it wasn't needed. Maybe it's just the type of sand we have here because I was probably the only one on the beach who aired down.

Same here. I started out airing down on the Jersey beaches but after a few trips I realized it wasn't needed. Maybe it's just the type of sand we have here because I was probably the only one on the beach who aired down.
Sand here In West oz is like Talcum powder and goes deep!

@TWiG01 @Gasman It really depends on what beach you go on. I surf fish off LBI. Last fall I pulled a Chevy 1500 off the beach. He didn't air down enough and dug down to the frame. I air my F150 down to 15-18psi. It's very very soft sand on parts of the island from replenishment.

I hear ya. But big difference in height, weight, and wheelbase from a lifted TJ to a 1/2 ton pickup. I don’t bother even trying my Silverado on the beach but if I did I would definitely air down.

I mostly drive on Brigantine but I may pick up a pass for Island Beach state park for striper season next fall. Just an aside, how did you do fishing the LBI beach last year? Hopefully you did well. I didn’t see one striper at all last fall at island beach park or seaside hts.

Reactions: TWiG01
I hear ya. But big difference in height, weight, and wheelbase from a lifted TJ to a 1/2 ton pickup. I don’t bother even trying my Silverado on the beach but if I did I would definitely air down.

I mostly drive on Brigantine but I may pick up a pass for Island Beach state park for striper season next fall. Just an aside, how did you do fishing the LBI beach last year? Hopefully you did well. I didn’t see one striper at all last fall at island beach park or seaside hts.

LBI is usually a bust. We go there because my in-laws have a house in Beach Haven West. I only went the one weekend with my family. My kids play youth hockey so it dominates our time from Sept to St Patricks Day.

It doesn't really matter because sand can be the worst condition to wheel in.
It doesn't matter because you don't have a big enough tire to matter nor the high horsepower needed for dune running.

You might make it unscathed but don't be surprised if the abominable sand monster nabs you and you're buried. It happens with littie to no warning.

Good luck.

Reactions: Kevin Q