FAFO
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner

MVIMG_20200622_132203.jpg

IMG_20200622_132213.jpg

IMG_20200622_134520.jpg

IMG_20200622_134536.jpg

Last edited:
When I can drop the rear seat (e.g. I buy a daily or my kids grow up) - I want to do something similar to this.

i'd like to find an old rear seat frame and see if i could make a spare tire perch that would latch in to the floor brackets and be removable when needed.

Reactions: rasband
So are spacer/bumpers not needed for this application? I would think you still want to reduce vibration and shaking as much as possible but that also looks pretty sturdy. Great job either way, looks great OP.

Reactions: hosejockey61
I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out. Moving the spare off the rear is a great move to make.

@hosejockey61 im curious if you’ve noticed a difference in balance since mounting your spare in the tub.
I have very little time on it since being tub mounted. It's not my daily driver and I only had it on a couple of trails before I broke my front axle ending my season.

With that being said, the two trips were definitely noticable mainly because I shed a ton of weight. Also, my departure angle is awesome now as I'm not getting hung up on the bumper or tire when on a steep incline or when coming off a ledge.

One thing I will do as time allows us to raise it just a little bit to create more room under it for tools etc. I thought I would have enough but not quite.

Reactions: starkey480
I have very little time on it since being tub mounted. It's not my daily driver and I only had it on a couple of trails before I broke my front axle ending my season.

With that being said, the two trips were definitely noticable mainly because I shed a ton of weight. Also, my departure angle is awesome now as I'm not getting hung up on the bumper or tire when on a steep incline or when coming off a ledge.

One thing I will do as time allows us to raise it just a little bit to create more room under it for tools etc. I thought I would have enough but not quite.
Report back as you get more time with it. I’m interested in increasing climbing ability but would only give up cargo space if it makes a big difference.

Reactions: hosejockey61
Probably not one of my better ideas, but for a while this worked. I welded two grade 8 bolts together, one side for the rear seatbelt bolt hole and the other was 1/2" and used a lug nut. It held the tire tight, but in hindsight, probably wouldn't have stayed put in a bad accident.
IMG_20180119_151011.jpg

I leave the rear most back seat brackets in place. This creates an anchor for a strap. I throw the tire in the back face down. I have a specific cut to length cargo strap that straps over the tire. I use the back side of the wheel to hold my recovery bag that the strap runs over. I have yet to find that tire to come loose over a full weekend of wheeling. No added weight and nothing to bolt or unbolt. It also creates a flat surface to throw your tool bags onto or something small. If I throw the tool bags on top of the tire, I use a secondary small strap, run the strap through the handle loops and tighten down across the tire.