Bedliner recommendation

BobK

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Some if you may be following my build thread on my TJ as I"m getting ready to plan out the bedlining of the interior of my TJ, I'm wondering what specific product to use and would like to get some opinions (and photos if you have them).

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to spray it versus roll it on. I've seen products on Amazon that come with cans of bedliner, a can of hardener that gets mixed in and a spray gun that attaches to each can to spray it out.

I've also seen rattle cans of bedliner, which while less expensive and less messy from a mixing point of view cause me some concern on the quality of the products.

So I'm looking for some input on brands and methods, also one coat or two, and how much of the vehicle did you mask off before spraying?

Thanks

Bob

Nothing compares, or stands up to Line-X.

fac12922b459e3961d078a169f7f206d.jpg

46a0bec085f77f443f1972f3710f0690.jpg

32a161c53379dfc40054788cdd57e8b4.jpg

I agree. Line-X or Speedliner... high quality urethane bedliners. It sounds like you're doing the work yourself but you'd have to take it to one of these dealers to have it done but they're the best. A lot of store bought liners just look good but don't have the protection these higher end ones have. All depends on exactly what you're wanting tho and what you'll be satisfied with.

Proper surface preparation is the key to good application. I’ve never seen a do it yourself compare to professional, good luck!

Reactions: TJ_2000
Biggest problem but at the same time best characteristic. Is Jeep people like to do things in their own. There is the rare occasion letting a professional do the work is a good idea. Bedliner would be one of those rare occasions. Having worked for Line-X. I’ve seen and removed my fair share of low end bedliners and DYI liners.

I've called my local Linex shop and if I remove all the interior (already done) they said $800 to shoot the interior. How does this compare to what you've seen (or paid)?

I've called my local Linex shop and if I remove all the interior (already done) they said $800 to shoot the interior. How does this compare to what you've seen (or paid)?

That’s not bad. Considering that’s full prep and spray. Personally, I would go for the premium. It’s a glossy black and is easier to clean.

I used the raptor liner product off amazon. It's been about a year now and it still looks new. From my experience the rattle cans are inconsistent and junk.

It's all about the prep. Take your time and it will look great years later.

U-Pol Raptor Black Urethane Spray-On Truck Bed Liner Kit w/Free Spray Gun, 4 Liters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CKE7B1E/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I used the raptor liner product off amazon. It's been about a year now and it still looks new. From my experience the rattle cans are inconsistent and junk.

It's all about the prep. Take your time and it will look great years later.

U-Pol Raptor Black Urethane Spray-On Truck Bed Liner Kit w/Free Spray Gun, 4 Liters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CKE7B1E/?tag=wranglerorg-20

How many gallons did you use for the interior.

I used all the product in the kit I linked. (4 Liters). If memory serves me right I could have been done on the 3rd liter but wanted the extra thickness / protection so I sprayed the 4th.
81042A1A-4A35-4204-BCF2-5A2767DEED7F.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jess and BugoutJeep
I've also seen rattle cans of bedliner, which while less expensive and less messy from a mixing point of view cause me some concern on the quality of the products.

Bob
You are right to be concerned with the quality of rattle can be liners. I wanted to do a quick & dirty job and went through about ten cans of Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner. Pure crap that was more like paint. Half the cans sprayed mostly paint, several cans wouldn't spray more than a few seconds before blocking completely, and only 2 cans barely-kinda-sorta sprayed the liner out as expected. Yep I shook all of those cans like there was no tomorrow and continued shaking them throughout the process. I'd go with a rolled-in lining or one that gets sprayed with a proper sprayer set up properly for something that thick.

You are right to be concerned with the quality of rattle can be liners. I wanted to do a quick & dirty job and went through about ten cans of Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner. Pure crap that was more like paint. Half the cans sprayed mostly paint, several cans wouldn't spray more than a few seconds before blocking completely, and only 2 cans barely-kinda-sorta sprayed the liner out as expected. Yep I shook all of those cans like there was no tomorrow and continued shaking them throughout the process. I'd go with a rolled-in lining or one that gets sprayed with a proper sprayer set up properly for something that thick.

I have experienced the exact same problem with the Rustoleum rattle can truck bed liner. Most of the cans only spray half the can and all of them are very inconsistent. You can shake them all day and it still will not mix up right. The Rustoleum roll on truck bed liner works well though, I have only used one quart of it but so far it mixed up well and has adhered well. But time will tell on how it lasts.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I used the Rustoleum Spray and Roll-on and it's not very good. I used Raptor on my truck and it's a great bang for the buck kind of finish. It gets stuff thrown on it and scooted on it and it has held up. Line X and similar stuff looks great and likely performs great too, but for a TJ, unless you're routinely dumping and hauling loose rock or something I wouldn't hesitate to use it and then spray something on it for a flat finish and preferably a light color.

I used the Rustoleum Spray and Roll-on and it's not very good. I used Raptor on my truck and it's a great bang for the buck kind of finish. It gets stuff thrown on it and scooted on it and it has held up. Line X and similar stuff looks great and likely performs great too, but for a TJ, unless you're routinely dumping and hauling loose rock or something I wouldn't hesitate to use it and then spray something on it for a flat finish and preferably a light color.
View attachment 92291

That looks very very thin.
Thickness of Line-X is more beneficial than for hauling rocks. Line-X is great for sound deadening.

That looks very very thin.
Thickness of Line-X is more beneficial than for hauling rocks. Line-X is great for sound deadening.
I didn't think of the sound deadening aspect. I was just thinking as a finish to protect the interior. I don't care about my bed being loud. I do care about my Jeep being loud though, so good point. For as much as that stuff costs, I'd check that cost and weigh it vs using sound deadening mat though. Obviously the Line-X stuff will be nicer.

I used raptor liner on the tub of my TJ and it turned out beautifully. I don't need to post a pic, because it turned out exactly like alex01's. 6 years later, it has held up ok. A few places have chipped, but overall it has held up fine. The problem areas are around the body seams where the jeep has- for lack of a better term- caulking to seal it. The Raptor liner did not adhere well to that stuff and has chipped off. My biggest complaint with Raptor liner, is it is more like a hard plastic coating and very slick. toolboxes slide around even driving carefully and the puppies don't like it at all. My second biggest complaint is that it is very hard to keep clean. I had dreams of grabbing the garden hose and making it look new again. Sand and mud get caught in every little nook and cranny and it always looks dirty. It does absolutely nothing for sound and heat dampening. It was cost effective, protects the metal. Maybe if you ran full time with a top, it wouldn't get as dirty. I would not do it again if I could go back.

Dang that seems high, but prep can take some time and it seems like everyone is charging like $100/hr and quite a bit for the top of the line liners. IMO I would try to go with a lighter color, but hey if $800 is doable, it's better to do it right than twice.

I looked into various DIY products. Many of them seemed pretty good … it was the DIY part I didn't like. For the additional cost I went with Linex for my Comanche and am very happy with the results. I paid $500 CDN plus an additional $100 for UV protection (so about $450 US). The basic Linex coating goes a bit gray over time. With my MJ being black I figured the UV protection would help it stay closer to the body colour in the years ahead. I haven't asked what it would cost to do my LJ but I know it would be more, basically due to the added masking.

Every time I go to the shop nearest to me I see them doing something interesting (car parts, trailers, industrial applications, etc.). I've seen a few tear drop trailers coated for the water sealing advantages (plus looks). They have a Linex coated apple on their sales counter and they encourage you to drop in on the floor. It's as solid as a rock.

19-04-15 5.JPG