Has anyone used Bedliner on the interior of your TJ?

TheFrenchMan

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone else remove the carpets and bedliner their interior for easy cleanup? I did mine only because the carpets in my jeep were nasty and moldy. The original owner never had the hardtop on it from the day he bought it. (It was brand new in his garage taken off the day he bought it!). I didn't want to spend the money on new carpets so I removed everything and used a drywall texture gun and hopper and sprayed hurculiner on the entire tub. Came out pretty good!
da761e44796c2b1f0c18b975fda186ca.jpg
72602149c6e54088dc26a26581fc3d6f.jpg
002ae57f8c61ec7ce680ad1a13352709.jpg
277b4b0cefb858da188c9ab1b0893d87.jpg
cb5820d546b02a9134f20ce8f851c31f.jpg
067a6b39e6d250451863725e0f247b23.jpg
e8cfe07a5fa10c9b43e190d2a20c43e3.jpg
286a3d95f35c31d93548d4559d5397f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else remove the carpets and bedliner their interior for easy cleanup? I did mine only because the carpets in my jeep were nasty and moldy. The original owner never had the hardtop on it from the day he bought it. (It was brand new in his garage taken off the day he bought it!). I didn't want to spend the money on new carpets so I removed everything and used a drywall texture gun and hopper and sprayed hurculiner on the entire tub. Came out pretty good! View attachment 815View attachment 816View attachment 817View attachment 818View attachment 819View attachment 820View attachment 821View attachment 822

That looks real good. Should help with road noise a little I would think.

Reactions: D M
That looks quite good! I wonder if it would help with road noise? I've been wanting to find a way to make mine a little quieter on the road.

Looks good. I bedlined mine with Monstaliner, didn't have a gun so I just rolled it on.

That looks real good. Should help with road noise a little I would think.
That looks quite good! I wonder if it would help with road noise? I've been wanting to find a way to make mine a little quieter on the road.
Hate to burst y'alls bubbles… but I can tell you that it definitely didn't make the road noise go down. If it did anything, it would increased because the soft carpet absorbs sound. But the noise isn't noticeable in my opinion, especially on the highway. The soft top is louder than anything else could wish to be.

My only complaint with it is in the summer time, when it's raining and I've gotta have the whole top up, it gets kinda warm in the cab because of the heat bleeding through from the trans tunnel and right above the exhaust. It's nice in the winter though:D

I'll probably try some of that dynamat stuff to quiet the noise down. It would be nice for road trips.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
Definitely would. And you could always just buy cheap carpet and line just the trans tunnel with it. That's where a majority of the sound comes from anyway. These truck style transmissions definitely weren't built to be silent.

Reactions: Chris
Definitely would. And you could always just buy cheap carpet and line just the trans tunnel with it. That's where a majority of the sound comes from anyway. These truck style transmissions definitely weren't built to be silent.

Yep, that's my plan. It will be easy to remove should I ever need to. But when we go on road trips it will make it quieter and more pleasant to drive.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
My complaints are that it did make road noise go up and it does radiate a lot of heat from the tunnel in the summer. I'm going to insulate the underside soon, I just haven't figured out what to use.

My complaints are that it did make road noise go up and it does radiate a lot of heat from the tunnel in the summer. I'm going to insulate the underside soon, I just haven't figured out what to use.

That's a good idea. Let me know what you end up using because I would love to do that myself.

I just have metal floors as carpet has been removed cause PO left it nasty. I thought about doing this just for the looks but does it add weight? I never care about noise and wind drowns it out or turn up the radio and you won't hear it. At my house we call it OJN - old jeep noise

Reactions: _swede
I mean technically, yes. The bedliner is a substance so it does have weight and density. But you add more weight to the Jeep when you put groceries in it.

It's smart to be weight conscious, but don't sweat the 3lbs this will add. It'll protect your tub.

Thank you. Every time I mentioned it people say it weighs down your jeep and I was wondering how heavy it could possibly be. LOL I never let groceries in my jeep - I have a Honda for that

I mean technically, yes. The bedliner is a substance so it does have weight and density. But you add more weight to the Jeep when you put groceries in it.

It's smart to be weight conscious, but don't sweat the 3lbs this will add. It'll protect your tub.

Reactions: Brad W and _swede
Thank you. Every time I mentioned it people say it weighs down your jeep and I was wondering how heavy it could possibly be. LOL I never let groceries in my jeep - I have a Honda for that
No problem. If you painted the entire exterior of the Jeep…maybe the weight would be 15-20 lbs. But just the tub, anyone who says it adds significant weight is either being too anal or is parroting something they read from someone else. The heaviest liner is probably Hurculiner if I had to guess do to them using rubber bits in their mix (not sure if they still do this though).

And you can swap the groceries for a 12 pack of beer:D about the same weight, but more fun

I've thought about doing this. I have mixed feelings about it. I've seen bedliners like this and its almost impossible to clean because of the texture. As is now I pulled the carpet and just spray wash it out. I have a feeling if you spray washed this stuff all the water wouldnt drain :/ I'm still up in air

Monstaliner is much smoother, kinda like a heavy duty paint. Easy to get stuff off of it. And water will still drain out of the tub. The drain holes are like a full inch in diameter.

It was a 1 gallon paint can. And I didn't even use 3/4 of it so you can imagine how much total weight it added... Maybe 2 pounds...maybe. If you add in the weight of the carpet I removed it might have shaved a pound or two.

Monstaliner is much smoother, kinda like a heavy duty paint. Easy to get stuff off of it. And water will still drain out of the tub. The drain holes are like a full inch in diameter.

Is it pretty durable?

Is it pretty durable?
I'm very happy with it so far. My dog hasn't been able to scratch it up any. And I haven't noticed any damage from tools. The key is proper prep. Take your time and do it right. I did it all in one day and in my opinion, that was too much. Prep one day. Final touches of prep and paint the next.