Been on Vacation

Fonz54

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi All,

Been on vacation for the last two weeks. The whole family went to Maui. The weather was amazing as was the food, the ocean and the whole experience. It seems like that rental car companies have invested heavily in JKs. Most of them were either Sport or Sahara models. Unfortunately due to a boat load of luggage I rented a Dodge minivan - but it was a GT baby! Too funny. My wife and kids were capping me on the entire trip about the dad van. As far as TJs go I saw quite a few but none that were built up. Most of them were bare bones stock and look like they had done some hard duty during their life time. I did see one CJ that was immaculate and really done up quite nicely. However, it looked like it was just for cruisin' and not for bruisin'. There were allot of YJs and quite of few of them had modifications (lifts and larger tires). Did not have a chance to speak any owners as most jeeps were noticed while driving here and there. It would be cool to hear from any members in Hawaii about there jeep builds. If you have not been to Hawaii you have to put a trip there on your bucket list and if you don't haul tons of luggage with you you can rent a jeep!

Aloha,

Lou

My sister just got back from Maui and they had a JKU Rubicon rental. She was telling me that the JKUs are absolutely everywhere, and they're mostly all rentals. She wanted to take the top off, but it was a hard top, and she had nowhere to store it, haha!

My guess is that most TJs there wouldn't last long (without looking rough as hell) due to the salt in the air. As far as wheeling goes, I'm not sure if there's any spots to wheel in Maui or not.

We're planning on going back soon, since Maui is our favorite destination. As for the minivan, well, we have to have one with our big family, but there's nothing wrong with that!

Reactions: ac_
When I bought my '06 LJ the Carfax showed that it had been a rental unit in Hawaii. No rust anywhere, which was mildly surprising.

I have been to Hawaii many times during my stint in the Navy, and twice with my wife. Never gets old.

My sister just got back from Maui and they had a JKU Rubicon rental. She was telling me that the JKUs are absolutely everywhere, and they're mostly all rentals. She wanted to take the top off, but it was a hard top, and she had nowhere to store it, haha!

My guess is that most TJs there wouldn't last long (without looking rough as hell) due to the salt in the air. As far as wheeling goes, I'm not sure if there's any spots to wheel in Maui or not.

We're planning on going back soon, since Maui is our favorite destination. As for the minivan, well, we have to have one with our big family, but there's nothing wrong with that!

So when the ocean condensates it leaves the salt, so as long as they don't salt the roads for snow, or you don't drive in the ocean, there isn't any significant salt in the air. TJ's can live fine in Maui. Just a little tidbit, if you ever decide to move there.

So when the ocean condensates it leaves the salt, so as long as they don't salt the roads for snow, or you don't drive in the ocean, there isn't any significant salt in the air. TJ's can live fine in Maui. Just a little tidbit, if you ever decide to move there.

Seriously? I was always under the impression that living near the ocean meant lots of rust on vehicles. I noticed when we go to the coastal beach towns here in Oregon, a lot of the older vehicles are rusted to hell as well. You're telling me it's not from the ocean air?

If so, that's assuring to know.

I noticed when we go to the coastal beach towns here in Oregon, a lot of the older vehicles are rusted to hell as well. You're telling me it's not from the ocean air?

I believe its mostly from salty sand being kicked up while driving.

Reactions: Chris
Seriously? I was always under the impression that living near the ocean meant lots of rust on vehicles. I noticed when we go to the coastal beach towns here in Oregon, a lot of the older vehicles are rusted to hell as well. You're telling me it's not from the ocean air?

yep no salty air.

I would think if there was salty air, there would be some major health problems on people that breathed that day in and day out on the coast. If you have rusty vehicles, I would guess you have beaches that you can drive on up there. You can kick up salty sand and water from the beach as @EJD stated. Or you they put salt down on the roads during snow

Reactions: Chris
I've lived by the sea all my life (never lived more than 20 mins drive from the ocean) including England and never had any issues with rust unless you drive it IN the water or wet sand....(then your just asking for trouble) lol

I've lived by the sea all my life (never lived more than 20 mins drive from the ocean) including England and never had any issues with rust unless you drive it IN the water or wet sand....(then your just asking for trouble) lol

I grew up in the greater Seattle Area, and one of my favorite places to wheel was Ocean Shores. At the end of the weekend we would spend 20 bucks at the car wash rinsing the rig inside and out every time. I never had any rust issues.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I grew up in the greater Seattle Area, and one of my favorite places to wheel was Ocean Shores. At the end of the weekend we would spend 20 bucks at the car wash rinsing the rig inside and out every time. I never had any rust issues.
I wash mine whenever we hit the beach too....

yep no salty air.

I would think if there was salty air, there would be some major health problems on people that breathed that day in and day out on the coast. If you have rusty vehicles, I would guess you have beaches that you can drive on up there. You can kick up salty sand and water from the beach as @EJD stated. Or you they put salt down on the roads during snow

Yes, we have beaches you can drive on, so that could be some of it. But maybe some of it is also that the sand is so far inland that it's even on a lot of people's properties (i.e. in their garden beds), which means that they've got sand all over the outside of their house (and therefore salt).

Either way, I always clean my Jeep thoroughly after having been at the beach!

I live about five miles inland from Monterey bay. We get a hell of allot of fog and mist generated from the bay and ocean. Any metal that ain't stainless gets corroded pretty fast due to the salt content in the fog and mist. My dad used to live on Sandy Hook Bay in NJ. I used to live in Aberdeen, NJ about a mile inland from Raritan Bay. Any outdoor metal in either location would get destroyed in no time from the salt air. I had one f those crappy metal sheds that rusted out in short order.

Lou

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
I live about five miles inland from Monterey bay. We get a hell of allot of fog and mist generated from the bay and ocean. Any metal that ain't stainless gets corroded pretty fast due to the salt content in the fog and mist. My dad used to live on Sandy Hook Bay in NJ. I used to live in Aberdeen, NJ about a mile inland from Raritan Bay. Any outdoor metal in either location would get destroyed in no time from the salt air. I had one f those crappy metal sheds that rusted out in short order.

Lou

Agree. This is my currectlync after 3 months of SF Fog. No other exposure to salt/water. Granted it’s just surface rust.

ABDD3C9A-069A-4F4B-96AB-8BD7B925760E.jpeg