Been recommended to use 20W-60 oil in my TJ

There seems to be a design philosophy common in Europe that results in recommendations of higher viscosity grades like 20W50. I don't know whether the difference lies in oil pump design, volume flow demands, bearing clearances, or all of the above, but despite being an inline 6 and briefly being owned by Daimler, the Jeep 4.0 isn't the exact same thing as a BMW and it shouldn't be assumed that they have anything in common beyond their cylinder orientation.

I love a good oil thread, and try to pick up little tid- bits of information. Your comment about 20W50 for European cars reminded me of a car I once owned. I had a 2000 VW Jetta with the 4 cylinder gas engine. The owners manual called for some low viscosity oil, but the local VW mechanic said to use 20W50. Supposedly, this 4 cylinder engine had been in production for decades, and originally called for 20W50, but in later years reduced the viscosity requirement to improve MPG.

My experience was 250K miles using 20W50 and no mechanical problems, only routine maintenance.

It makes me wonder, is 20W60 that much different than 20W50?

These oil threads are absolutely hilarious

Run the 20w 60 and fuhgetaboutit

It won't do one damn bit of harm to your engine!

Not one iota!!!!

Oil...
Guns...
Ford vs. Chevy

The he said or heard of someone who heard of someone who seen something ....oh and throw in the neighbor guy who acts like Tom Hanks who heard brand X will sludge up...

Good lord. 🙄

I live in the tropics, hot weather all year round and would not even consider running 60w oil. That weight is just to thick, I've seen 40w with high mileage engine, but at 60w it might not even lubricate the engine propperly. In an earlier post you mentioned that 100K is when most cars will go to the junkyard. It is a known fact that the tj can make it to 200-300k. If they are all using 60w oil for the Tj's there might be some correlation to the time the engine blows and the kind of oil you are using over there.
This is why I asked on here, we have a minute amount of jeep 4.0,s compared to US and perhaps the thicker oil is killing them quicker or the thinner recommended oil is killing them quicker in high temps?
High mileage oils here all seem to be 15w 50 and now its been explained added Zink cant make a 40 viscosity a 60 as I was previously told I wont use it as I have never considered a 60 weight oil before plus after reading up on viscosity from 4am this morning (yes sad I know) a higher viscosity could make my start up lifter rattle worse.

OP, be honest, have you tried this mystical 20w-60 ?
If so, this will explain your previous posts about reliability of 4.0, engine noise and opda ... 😁

This is why I asked on here, we have a minute amount of jeep 4.0,s compared to US and perhaps the thicker oil is killing them quicker or the thinner recommended oil is killing them quicker in high temps?
High mileage oils here all seem to be 15w 50 and now its been explained added Zink cant make a 40 viscosity a 60 as I was previously told I wont use it as I have never considered a 60 weight oil before plus after reading up on viscosity from 4am this morning (yes sad I know) a higher viscosity could make my start up lifter rattle worse.
The start up issue would only be an issue if you're running conventional oil in super cold temps.

Hey man you do what you want but I wouldn't hesitate one bit to run that oil...especially in a Jeep.

Think it's crazy....???

Ask yourself this...
Why does General Motors specifically state in a corvette owners manual state...switch to Mobil 1 15w50 for track driving and then go back to Mobil 1 5w30 for the street...

Now that's a pretty damn expensive engine...no? That's warranted from the factory...no?

Yet if you're running the track they recommend using a 50w on their beloved. They won't suggest 50w all the time due to cold climates people might be in....

Oh my dear lord how in the hell can people not have a heart attack over that. Seriously. Some on this forum just got chest pains.

Worried about 50w and 60w....
in a Jeep engine to boot....which came off the car carrier loosey goosey..
Absolutely positively richly hilarious.

You know what ruins engines more than OH MY GOD I RAN 50W OIL...😱

N
E
G
L
E
C
T

If you want your engine to last..maintain it. That's it.

Period, end of story

Reactions: Fishtaco
OP, be honest, have you tried this mystical 20w-60 ?
If so, this will explain your previous posts about reliability of 4.0, engine noise and opda ... 😁
So its my fault my 06 made a one time presumed squeal from my OPDA and immediately changed it when every man and his dog shits themselves about possible OPDA problems?
Is It my fault the PO may or may not have maintained the TJ correctly and I am concerned?
Is it my fault 20w 60 was suggested to me?
Heres the "mystical" 20w 60

Last edited:
Lots of piss taking here! how many mechanics here or oil experts? the Penright HPR 20w 60 is a mineral oil for high mileage engines commonly use in Australia the 60 rating is upped from 40 to adjust for the high zinc content in the oil.
Just because somebody has never varied beyond recommended 10w-30 doesn't mean anything other than they stick to manufacturers recommendations! Anyone would think 20w-60 was as thick as Molasses or treacle judging some comments but difference couldnt even be told by a layman visual or touch test.
the mechanics I speak to shake their heads just as much at the forum concerns I bring up over using a heavier oil and that I must stick to 10w-30.
Why are you on the forum asking what to do if you are just going to go with a mechanic or whatever you want anyway?

Reactions: Head Lice and 5632
Why are you on the forum asking what to do if you are just going to go with a mechanic or whatever you want anyway?
If you read the whole thread the hair on the back of your neck may settle a bit? lol
Where did I say I had decided ? I posted on here for opinions after advise was given. staunchly sticking to10w 30 may just a be a little bit of Cognitive dissonance! lol

Last edited:
If you read the whole thread the hair on the back of your neck may settle a bit? lol
Where did I say I had decided ? I posted on here for opinions after advise was given. staunchly sticking to10w 30 may just a be a little bit of Cognitive dissonance! lol
I read the rest quickly. I wouldn't worry too much about what oil, but perhaps something less radical a jump between 10w-30 and 20w-60. I have no user experience other than 10w-30

Extra zinc is good for the flat tappets. In the US, you have to get a High Mileage or 40 weight or higher oil to get the higher zinc levels. And even then you have to check the oil specs to see what the level is.

They lowered the zinc levels to prolong catalytic converter life.

In your situation I would run what Penrite's site suggests, 5w-40 or 10w-40.

They all meet the SL standard, which was the best one for flat tappet engines.

I read the rest quickly. I wouldn't worry too much about what oil, but perhaps something less radical a jump between 10w-30 and 20w-60. I have no user experience other than 10w-30
10w 30 is not a common oil in Australia and my last change to 10w 30 I had to buy a more expensive oil for high performance engines and when you can find it its either fully or partial synthetic..

10w 30 is not a common oil in Australia and my last change to 10w 30 I had to buy a more expensive oil for high performance engines and when you can find it its either fully or partial synthetic..
How about 10w40?

The 4.0 does not need synthetic. If you can get conventional 10w-30 it will work just fine.