Been recommended to use 20W-60 oil in my TJ

@Fishtaco No, their consensus is wrong.10w-30 is not to thin of an oil, it doesn't matter the country you are at, heat is heat for Australia or for Texas. Ask yourself why most engines blow at 100k over there. It might not harm it right away but maybe in the long run it might. 60 its just to heavy, the fsm clearly states 10w-30 for a reason.

If your rig starts to burn oil putting 20w-60 is not a fix either.
They dont blow at 100,000 miles lol modern vehicles are just considered ready for the junk yard, mine has just over 100,000 miles and the reason I want a high mileage oil.

I wish I had "Australian conditions" dry heat. You should try 90-100 degree summer temps with 100% humidity. You'll see what your wife really looks like (dripping makeup) before she ever makes it to the car.:oops: I took a vacation years ago with 102 degree temps and 40% humidity. I never even broke a sweat all day long in the sun.
1000 miles north of me and you would possibly die in the humidity in the wet season!
I should have said Perth is dry Heat The further north you go in West Australia the closer you get to the equator, Get to Darwin in the Northern Territory and you can swim to Indonesia if the crocs dont get ya. We are closer to Indonesia than we are to Sydney NSW

Last edited:
1000 miles north of me and you would possibly die in the humidity in the wet season!
I should have said Perth is dry Heat The further north you go in West Australia the closer you get to the equator, Get to Darwin in the Northern Territory and you can swim to Indonesia if the crocs dont get ya.
Crikey!

(not sure if I have used that term correctly...)

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I'm still trying to figure out what's special about "Australian conditions".

View attachment 251320

There's nothing there that isn't true of the entire southwest quarter of the US below 5,000' elevation. Seems to me that the conditions in Perth are roughly similar to living in west-central Kansas.

View attachment 251329

Oklahoma City (Norman is a suburb)
View attachment 251330

Amarillo, TX
View attachment 251325

Phoenix
View attachment 251324

Las Vegas
View attachment 251326

Los Angeles
View attachment 251327

Even parts of Colorado aren't far off.
View attachment 251322
Like I said before I presume vehicle manufacturers recommend an oil that covers their ass without considering high mileage vehicles at all, in fact they don't want high mileage vehicles they want to sell new vehicles!
Reality is recorded temperature is taken in the shade and there aint no shade on asphalt.

Last edited:
I have run straight 60wt in a beat up gremlin that I got for free.
That 232 ran for over a year in So Cal at the beach before it got sideswiped.

That said I run 10-40wt high mileage nice cool day today just 92, but it will be 120 for days on end in a few weeks.

Penrite HPR5 5w-40 Full synthetic. On the label it states:

Mine has just over 200 000km on it, I use the above (and have done for as long as I can remember) if I can't get that I use the Penrite Full Synthetic 10w-40. Hunt down the 6L container.

You also need to get with the plan, when Supercheap has the 50% off sale you stock up on oil/oil filters. Makes oil changes very cheap.

For filters use the Ryco Black series - part #

Z89AST​

They are of better quality than the standard Ryco filters.

I also run an oil flush through the system before dropping the oil but that's a personal choice.
So the

Z89AST is a synthetic oil filter.​

Another can of worms lol

Personally I dont believe in oil flushes but each to his own, last flush I did was 4 litres of Kero! (Paraffin/ Kerosene) which does the same as any off the shelf flush.
I cant believe you run 5W30? Do you live in Threadbo?

You're really overthinking all of this lol.

Go have a look at the Penrite oil application chart. They are an Australian manufacturer and recommendations are for Australian conditions. They recommend the HPR5 5-40W and that's what I've been using for years. No issues whatsoever.

You're really overthinking all of this lol.

Go have a look at the Penrite oil application chart. They are an Australian manufacturer and recommendations are for Australian conditions. They recommend the HPR5 5-40W and that's what I've been using for years. No issues whatsoever.
So I am looking out for your advised filter and oil specials, Supercheap in WA doesn't have such a big supply as NSW. I have to get my oil/air filters from REPCO as Supercheap have to order them in and that's a $5 order premium with no special price! Maybe I need to use online rather than in shop purchase?

Happy now, Fishtaco? ;)
can-of-worms.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: williambmac
Penrite HPR5 5w-40 Full synthetic. On the label it states:

Mine has just over 200 000km on it, I use the above (and have done for as long as I can remember) if I can't get that I use the Penrite Full Synthetic 10w-40. Hunt down the 6L container.

You also need to get with the plan, when Supercheap has the 50% off sale you stock up on oil/oil filters. Makes oil changes very cheap.

For filters use the Ryco Black series - part #

Z89AST​

They are of better quality than the standard Ryco filters.

I also run an oil flush through the system before dropping the oil but that's a personal choice.
Went with the 10W40 semi synthetic and the Ryco Synthetic filter, all on special at Repco with club price.
The Castrol was the only 10w 40 recommended for the TJ all the others were not recommended?
Dont need to change yet but have it on hand cheap, pity I have to buy 2x 5L as the 1L was almost as expensive as the 5L that was on special.
Shit out on the thicker oil in the end but sure I will get flamed for going semi synth and 10w 40 not 10w 30 conventional !