Before and after pictures

In days long past, before we had Jeep forums, we had a Jeep Newsgroup. It was internet based but it was pretty crude by today's standards. rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys was how we got to it.

I was looking for an old photo yesterday and ran across my old information from 1998 from that Newsgroup. At least the photo was taken in a cool wheeling area, just outside of Calico Ghost Town in SoCal.

Capture.JPG

http://www.off-road.com/aimages/articlestandard/jeep/512005/260947/article.html 32" tires, stock gearing, open axles, etc. Fun days, I was envious of everyone else who had Dana 44 axles and deep gearing.

My inexperience with the TJ was showing in 1998, I was even saying plans were to install a Detroit Gearless Locker into its rear Dana 35 and install 4.11 gears for future 33" tires. Both were huge mistakes. The Detroit Gearless Locker, now discontinued, came apart within 2 weeks of installing. Detroit even paid to repair my rear differential which exploded, a problem they soon discovered existed with the Detroit Locker. They even paid to replace it with a Detroit Truetrac LSD for my trouble. The 4.11 gears for the 33" tires absolutely sucked, which is why I keep stressing not to install that ratio for 33's lol. I was even carrying a Hi-Lift in those early days of wheeling a TJ. Fun days, I was envious of everyone else who had a rear Dana 44 axle and deep gearing.