Before the TJ...

talking about cars that people hated when they came out but took off years later.... How about the first electric car, honda insite, and toyota echo.
electric-car-history-2.jpg
a.jpg
download.jpg

download.jpg

a.jpg

AMC went bankrupt ?
Sort of like the Edsel.... way before its time.
Was kinda like buying an Aztek. My kids would cringe.
LOL Well, an entire company going bankrupt is definitely different than a poor selling model. Remember, AMC also had Jeep. As for the Eagle, AMC sold something like 45,000 units their first year.
There's an entire history to AMC's downfall. As the last independent U.S. automaker (of any real size), it was truly a David vs. Goliath battle against the Big 3.

AMC sold something like 45,000 units their first year
And 37,000 the next 2 years, then 25,000, year 6, they sold a whopping 5,000 Eagles. Year 7, Jeep was a Chrysler product. The Edsel sold well in its first year too.

Don't get me wrong, I loved AMC, including the Gremlin and the AMX, but they sure struggled.
If I found the AMX version of the SX4... I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Remember the Machine, tach on the hood?

DSC_0352.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley and Squatch
And 37,000 the next 2 years, then 25,000, year 6, they sold a whopping 5,000 Eagles. Year 7, Jeep was a Chrysler product. The Edsel sold well in its first year too.
Still doesn't equate to hating them, my friend. It was a recycled body style ('71 Hornet Sportabout wagon). Subaru had their 4WD/AWD out, so there was that competition, as well. It's all subjective, I guess. As an AMC club member for fifteen years, I'm bound to have a different perspective than most. If you're ever really interested in the subject, I'd highly recommend Patrick R. Foster's book "The Last Independent". It answers lots of questions, and lays to rest some of the myths and misinformation about American Motors.

I never said I hated them.
I said if you showed up in one to pick up yer kids at school, they cringed.
And that is a fact. Edsel, Aztek, Eagle... not the kinda thing to win a popularity contest/

Don't get me wrong, I loved AMC, including the Gremlin and the AMX, but they sure struggled.
If I found the AMX version of the SX4... I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Remember the Machine, tach on the hood?

View attachment 57849
Yep. Not sure they did an AMX version of the SX4. The SX4 was the AWD version of the Spirit, as I recall. Wish I knew you wanted an SX4, as I've come across two of them for sale in the past six months, and I have a friend who also owned three of them, but has since sold them within the past year (the Big "D"...). As for "The Machine", I'd rather have that than an AMX. Also love the S/C Rambler (Scrambler)!

Last edited:
I never said I hated them.
I said if you showed up in one to pick up yer kids at school, they cringed.
And that is a fact. Edsel, Aztek, Eagle... not the kinda thing to win a popularity contest/
Not implying you hated them. I took it as you were insinuating the general buying public did, for which I just don't particularly agree. As for cringing kids, what do they know, right? Look at what they drive nowadays! :rolleyes:

Reactions: lowranger
Remembering all the old station wagons from the 80s makes me kinda want to see a TJ with that fake wood paneling.

Does that make me a bad person?

Reactions: Chris and Squatch
Remembering all the old station wagons from the 80s makes me kinda want to see a TJ with that fake wood paneling.

Does that make me a bad person?

That doesn't make you a bad person bro. I love the old jeep styles too.

Now the casual plundering and pillaging you do... that's a different story.

Reactions: Equilibrium31