Before the TJ...

What else do you have that you should move out to get more real estate at your place?
1956 Ford Victoria, 1979 Cadillac Seville, and a 1966 Rambler Classic 770 convertible, as well as a 1960 9' long Lil' Loafer travel trailer. The trailer and the Vicky are staying, only because I'm stubborn!

You have an 1970 AMX Javelin parked in your yard anywhere?
I used to own a Big Bad Green '70 Javelin (not an AMX, though). However, my buddy who's getting the Gremlin has a '70 AMX. Has owned three of them, actually. A '70 is definitely the most prized year for the AMX crowd. Gorgeous cars!

I used to own a Big Bad Green '70 Javelin (not an AMX, though). However, my buddy who's getting the Gremlin has a '70 AMX. Has owned three of them, actually. A '70 is definitely the most prized year for the AMX crowd. Gorgeous cars!
When I was in Vietnam (69-70) we would talk about what kind of car we wanted to get when we got back home. I really really liked the 1970 AMX Javelin. It really took our minds off things. I thought about that car a lot.! When I got back to the States (Home), couldn't afford one, even though I was sending money home. Really liked that car. No telling what they are worth now.

Reactions: Squatch
When I was in Vietnam (69-70) we would talk about what kind of car we wanted to get when we got back home. I really really liked the 1970 AMX Javelin. It really took our minds off things. I thought about that car a lot.! When I got back to the States (Home), couldn't afford one, even though I was sending money home. Really liked that car. No telling what they are worth now.
Well, anything that kept your mind busy at a time like that was priceless, as far as I'm concerned (thank you for your service, LR). I've seen bargain ones for around $13,000 to $15,000, and top-tier cars going for $25,000 to $40,000. You definitely picked a winner to appreciate, my friend.

Well, anything that kept your mind busy at a time like that was priceless, as far as I'm concerned (thank you for your service, LR). I've seen bargain ones for around $13,000 to $15,000, and top-tier cars going for $25,000 to $40,000. You definitely picked a winner to appreciate, my friend.
Thanks for the kind words Squatch. Think I will poke around a little and see what I can see on the 1970 AMX Javelin. Wouldn't that be something, if I finally found my 1970 AMX after 48 years.

Reactions: Squatch and tquig01
Squatch said:
What makes you say everyone hated them?

AMC went bankrupt . . . ?

FYI - AMC never went bankrupt.

In the mid-1980's Renault was the largest shareholder of AMC. Renault was suffering severe financial difficulty in France and was facing the possibility of bankruptcy. Some on Renault's board of directors advocated liquidating or bankrupting AMC to shore up the company's finances in Europe. Renault's president believed in Jeep's profit potential and was opposed to the move.. Shortly after Renault's president was murdered by terrorists in 1986 the board of directors chose to divest its holdings in AMC and negotiated a deal with Chrysler to purchase all of Renault's stock in AMC plus all other outstanding shares for $1.5 billion, and in 1987 AMC became Chrysler's Jeep-Eagle division.

FYI - AMC never went bankrupt.

In the mid-1980's Renault was the largest shareholder of AMC. Renault was suffering severe financial difficulty in France and was facing the possibility of bankruptcy. Some on Renault's board of directors advocated liquidating or bankrupting AMC to shore up the company's finances in Europe. Renault's president believed in Jeep's profit potential and was opposed to the move.. Shortly after Renault's president was murdered by terrorists in 1986 the board of directors chose to divest its holdings in AMC and negotiated a deal with Chrysler to purchase all of Renault's stock in AMC plus all other outstanding shares for $1.5 billion, and in 1987 AMC became Chrysler's Jeep-Eagle division.
And it was all fabulous for 20 years.... until marketing thought the Wrangler needed 4 doors.... and more electronics than I have at home.

Which of course drove sales thru the roof and suddenly the Wrangler is no longer a niche vehicle doing what niche vehicles do so well.... serving those of us who live for niche activities. Now any tom, dick head or harry can pretend to be an off road guru. While we look for a good rust free 4x4 to actually test our skills.

Bet they crossed the power steering hoses while working on the steering box and/or power steering pump. When I was 18, I made that mistake when working on a mid-70s Vette. Damn good thing I hadn't reached through the steering wheel spokes to start it. I cannot imagine the amount of damage I would've done to my arm! So, what is the story behind this YJs problem?

true, somewhat off base, but I still remember kids at school cringing when picked up by parents driving an Azteck, Eagle or Econoline.
In high school I parked my Eagle near where the buses pulled out. That year at the homecoming dance I met a girl and we hit it off, come Monday we walk out to the parking lot towards my beautiful shit brown eagle sedan and she stops and says, “is that your car?”
Turns out she had told her friends she would never date a guy who drove a car like mine.
Her loss. Haha

Cool thread! A pal of mine had an Eagle wagon, he was a member of our fishing/hunting camp up in northcentral PA. I remember thinking it was a little goofy (I was driving a '61 International Travelall at the time!) but we used to pile into that thing and carve up the backwoods forest roads and trails. In relative comfort too, unlike the IH.

Going back a little further, I once owned a '70 GSX, yellow and black. Bought it during the second oil embargo in '79. This was before muscle cars went into their second ascendancy, they were just gas guzzlers at that point, and not too attractive when you had to line up at the gas station around 5 am to get your 5 gallons. But I had a company vehicle as a DD and access to gas! The original owner was selling the Buick and a Super Bee, both cherry. Me being from a GM family, I picked the Buick. Made a little money on resale but not even a fraction of what they became worth later on. Live and learn!

Dude , that's awesome , my uncle still has a saturn yellow 70 GSX...theY only made 678 that year .. and you had to buy them the way they were built they were factory production only ... There was no special order until 71.

Reactions: Squatch and Rapidan