Before you replace O2 sensors

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
O2 sensors get talked about a lot on here.

What doesn't get a lot of mention is loose exhaust at the pre cats - those 4 bolts you access from below that hold the exhaust together between the upstream and downstream sensors.

Any leak there confuses the sensors and they will code.

I have fixed 2 TJ's with sensor codes by tightening the bolts- they will feel frozen at first and to some extent are....but can still be quite loose.... They tend to work loose a little bit and then a little bit of corrosion sets in around the bolt and it locks a little.

This isn't the answer to everyone's oxygen sensor problems but it needs to be pretty high on the list.

Good suggestion. Before trying to tighten those particular bolts it'd be wise to hit them with a couple healthy sprays of Liquid Wrench, Kroil, or Break Free first and give it some time to work before applying the wrench.

Reactions: twistedlv
02? You mean O2?

Haha, I fixed it for you. Not sure what a ZERO 2 sensor it ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist :ROFLMAO:

Great suggestion though!

• Haha
Reactions: mots
Good suggestion. Before trying to tighten those particular bolts it'd be wise to hit them with a couple healthy sprays of Liquid Wrench, Kroil, or Break Free first and give it some time to work before applying the wrench.
Excellent addition Jerry....I think one thing to consider is if the vehicle codes on initial startup that's a pretty good indicator that it just pulled in some cold air...

Just for the general knowledge base if I understand it correctly the upstream and the downstream work together to monitor the job the cats are doing.... I would think whatever parameters that they are set for would be fooled by the intake of cold air at startup.

Please don't take my word as gospel that's just what I think happens .