Beginning my 06 TJ build as a daily driver (06-29-2022)

3-Tj's

So, we are now kind of a TJ Wrangler family.
We have three now, long story. (2) 2003 & 2006

I'm starting to make our third TJ road worthy. I bought a 2006 TJ automatic w/ 100,000 miles for $11,000, 4.0L, to use as my daily driver. I bought both of the 2003 TJ's for $9,000 3 years ago. The frame and floor pan is in pretty good shape for being 17 years old, almost rust free & spending time in Chicago IL & Springfield Mo. The control arms, calipers, and most of the important stuff are pretty rusty, crusty, and needs replacing. Oh boy does this TJ need love, she wobbles, bobbles, and is kind of unpredictable, however the dam thing idles smooth, accelerates well and has a lot of potential. I'm doing this TJ in three phases, 1st suspension & steering, 2nd going and stopping, 3rd, bodywork, interior / exterior upgrades you know the cool factor. There is rust in the usual body areas that will need addressed, and since I just retired from the police department and I have watched 100's of hours of "SprayWay Customs' body & paint on youtube, I am now convinced this body work thing is right up my alley. (FML) Side note, the sprayway custom guy is one of the best internet instructors I've seen, amazing work, he is in Alabama, wish he was in Illinois.

So I just joined the Forum as a member, I've been getting tips, guidance and questions answered for years from all of you, so today I became a member of the forum. Now before everyone tosses me out, both of our 2003 TJ's have teraflex suspensions, 2" lift, upgraded wheels, headlights, bumpers, stereos, speakers and a list of crap. Had to treat both kids equally. But I'm only 5'10" & 54 years old, and these fuckers are hard to get into........ so I'm keeping my TJ kind of stock height.

So I am going to do this fantastic ZJ / TJ upgrade to my suspension that I learned about on this forum. I am also going to repair / replace everything from the Front hub wheel bearings to the rear of the suspension. I will try to document the entire process, post costs, part numbers, ect. I am using Moog parts and have ordered them from Moog Steering & suspension web site.

I have already ordered my parts, I'm under $1,800 in parts, but I have not purchased my Power Stop Extreme brake kit yet. My thought process is this, I want to pull the band aid off once, do it all now, since its all coming apart. This TJ will run & drive like the day it was built, and it will basically be a new functioning wrangler, all in for under $15,000. This seemed like the better option than finding a newer model used anything. Cant find anything here in the suburbs for less than $15,000.

So the TJ project starts as soon as the parts get delivered. Updates coming soon.

If anyone has done the TJ to ZJ conversion I would like to know what you think of it after driving for a while.
-Any issues
-Pros vs Cons
-Anything you wished that you also did with the upgrade?

If anyone has done the TJ to ZJ conversion I would like to know what you think of it after driving for a while.

No difference really.
Basically it's just a heavier (solid) tie rod.
Lasts longer offroad and helps control larger tires.

No difference really.
Basically it's just a heavier (solid) tie rod.
Lasts longer offroad and helps control larger tires.

LongGP2, how long have you had it?
Did you notice a stability difference / increase on the highway?
I'm driving back a nd forth from Chicago to Branson Mo monthly, the wind gets moving on 55 & 44

LongGP2, how long have you had it?
Did you notice a stability difference / increase on the highway?
I'm driving back a nd forth from Chicago to Branson Mo monthly, the wind gets moving on 55 & 44

Probably since I bought it, 10 years ago.
Pretty common upgrade (if you're replacing parts anyway); but like I said, it doesn't really change the ride.

The ZJ upgrade is to prevent trail damage, bending when you hit rocks. It will make no difference on the road or feel driving down the road like @LONGJP2 says. Rockauto.com is a good source of parts. I always suggest learning how to tell if things are worn out and replace as needed. It's a valuable skill, throwing parts at it just for fun is rarely a good idea. Rubber bushings are the one exception to this, they are almost always shot but things like hubs or ball joints shouldn't be touched unless they are bad in my opinion. Another thing people often overlook is the brakes, not the pads and rotors but all the flex lines and flushing the system. I think that has value on an older Jeep.

Reactions: LONGJP2
I would suggest you consider a transmission cooler.
Mine always starts to run hot when I hit the hills on 44.
Maybe yours won't be so bad on stock tires.

Reactions: Irun
The ZJ steering conversion is good, if you're not going to be wheeling it in rocks. If you are, spend the extra money on a Currie Correctlync. My ZJ conversion bent on the very first wheeling trip. To be fair, I wasn't gentle on it, but have definitely learned its limitations.

As @LONGJP2 said, do a transmission cooler, but couple that with a steering cooler. Especially, if you're towing and driving fast!

The ZJ upgrade is to prevent trail damage, bending when you hit rocks. It will make no difference on the road or feel driving down the road like @LONGJP2 says. Rockauto.com is a good source of parts. I always suggest learning how to tell if things are worn out and replace as needed. It's a valuable skill, throwing parts at it just for fun is rarely a good idea. Rubber bushings are the one exception to this, they are almost always shot but things like hubs or ball joints shouldn't be touched unless they are bad in my opinion. Another thing people often overlook is the brakes, not the pads and rotors but all the flex lines and flushing the system. I think that has value on an older Jeep.

Thanks for the advice

Great idea, I’ll find out after the 1st trip down near Branson how the trans handles it. Its a new to me TJ so I’m sure I’ll run into numerous issues

Great idea, I’ll find out after the 1st trip down near Branson how the trans handles it. Its a new to me TJ so I’m sure I’ll run into numerous issues

Without a gauge, you won't really know.
Other than everyone will be passing you. ;)

My '06 is my daily, the stock linkage will bend quickly when the first rain of the season flings you over the curb on a roundabout so mine is wearing a Currie Correctlink now, why bother going to "the next step" to see if it holds up? Of course I already had the parts sitting in the corner of the garage because I found a killer deal when I bought the jeep
Mine has 33x12.5s and the stock brakes are iffy in most situations (I have BMB's and Centric rotors waiting to go in) and wouldn't be very helpful in a Kamikaze deer attack
Never skimp on brakes on a daily

I agree with everyone here. BMB for brakes is the only choice for a TJ. The ZJ steering upgrade is simple and a good upgrade from the stock pencil.