Behind the rear seat storage options

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
I have some family coming into town for the holidays, and they want me to take them out on some trails. Unfortunately, that means that I need to put in the rear seat which I have not done since I bought the Jeep three years ago. I keep all of my recovery gear, extra parts, and fluids in a plastic tub. However, there is no way that tub will fit in the area behind the back seat.

So my search for alternative storage has begun, and I first turned to ammo cans/boxes because I'm familiar with them. At first I looked at the 81mm mortar box, but it appears to be too deep at 25" Long x 13" Wide x 7-1/2" High. Now I'm looking at a couple 120mm cans that are 12"x6"x32" tall.

What inexpensive options am I missing? What have you all used?

Reactions: blacksun43
Thanks Dave! I actually have one of those for road trips. I'm specifically looking for behind the seat storage.

The instatrunk is nice, but it's not really a storage option is it? I mean, parts and gear would just kind of roll around back there?

Honestly I don't think there's room behind the seat to store much of anything at all unless you have an LJ. I just store stuff back there in a duffle bag.

Reactions: Luke
Seriously...it would make my life so much easier when we load up the dogs and our gear.

I ended up ordering two 40mm cans. I have one at the house already, and together they will hold a bunch of gear. I think the 120mm cans are just too deep,it would be difficult to get to any items at the bottom.

I think there's a lot of us (myself included) who bought a TJ and now wish we may have went with an LJ.

The extra space in the rear would indeed be nice. When we go on trips I have no choice but to use that Harbor Freight receiver mount carrier to carry out stuff.

If we could have found an LJ in great shape within our budget we would have snapped it up. That was always our wish, but when this TJ came along we just couldn't pass it up.

For TJ owners looking for more space, I found these saddle bags. I'm going to buy just one to see if it's worth it. I'm not sure if they will work with the netting from Dirty Dog 4x4, but I think it's with a shot.

123-04.jpg

Reactions: inkedrose and Chris
That looks like a decent option. For a long time I considered a Safari rack until I found my cargo hitch carrier.

Reactions: 2003TJ
The 40mm ammo cans arrived today. They are much larger than I estimated, but hot damn they are perfect!

Last edited:
You'll have to take a picture when you get a chance. Sounds like you found your solution! A cheap one too, I assume.