Belt Squeal

cpwolf

Texan
Supporting Member
My 05 4.0 I've gone through everything. Changed tensioner and other main pulley, put un needed new power steering, and it's the belt, I changed, went away, and it's slowly coming back on a 2nd new one. Racking my brain, water squirt completely gone. It get's louder with RPM, rythmic.

I know it's probably just keep at it, keep looking, but I'm not sure what's up. I'm not seeing a coolant leak onto it that may cause it, I'm in deep checking mode still though.

Anything someone knows of? I've looked, and seems like the belt is farther out on the water pump pulley than the tensioner...maybe, but I might be over looking it. Was thinking maybe the part is not in line orsomething. Very frustrating.

Ive had good luck stopping belt squeal by changing over to a gatorback belt on my truck which didnt care which belt was on it, it just liked to squeal otherwise. I believe continental bought gatorback rights and call it something else now.

i think your probably looking at the right problem though, i believe most dry belt noise is due to some sort of misalignment or worn tensioner.

Reactions: CharlesHS
Ive had good luck stopping belt squeal by changing over to a gatorback belt on my truck which didnt care which belt was on it, it just liked to squeal otherwise. I believe continental bought gatorback rights and call it something else now.

i think your probably looking at the right problem though, i believe most dry belt noise is due to some sort of misalignment or worn tensioner.

YES.... Continental bought out the Gatorback line of parts almost 2 years ago...
I have a Continental belt waiting to replace the Mopar OEM belt when it comes due...

If you aren't sure exactly where the noise is coming from one of those cheap automotive stethoscopes they have at parts stores can really help. Just be careful where you stick the rod. It really has helped me find those noises, especially near the front with the fan noise.

You will not believe it, but try it. I learned the hard way and by a big surprise I was taught to spray some WD-40 on the belt and if the sound goes away and returns in a minute. Change the belt. I forget the best make belt name. I have personally experience this two times.

I’m gonna grab a stethoscope. The harmonic balancer a great idea, fan and clutch replaced in 2018 not sure that would have been replaced, should have done it myself, ha.

Last edited:
Here’s a quick video , the tensioner has belt over the edge if you can see that. It’s not squeaking at that second I had sprayed water

Did you end up fixing this? I've got the same issue.

Yes. I had to replace the Harmonic Balancer on the front of the engine. The rubber seam was separating and the pulley was moving out, thus the belt was “off when hitting the other pulleys (I can’t remember if the main squeal was at the tensioner.

Get a water spray bottle, spray the belt, if it quiets, this could be your issue.

I’d get under and see if the Harmonic Balancer looks like it’s a problem.

Yes. I had to replace the Harmonic Balancer on the front of the engine. The rubber seam was separating and the pulley was moving out, thus the belt was “off when hitting the other pulleys (I can’t remember if the main squeal was at the tensioner.

Get a water spray bottle, spray the belt, if it quiets, this could be your issue.

I’d get under and see if the Harmonic Balancer looks like it’s a problem.
Thanks for the tip! Spraying water on the belt stops the squealing too.
I had a look under and the Harmonic Balancer looks reasonably flush. I'm not sure how close it's supposed to be to the front engine surface but there's a 5-10mm gap. The belt was replaced the other day (2240mm Gates) and the tensioner and idler pulley were replaced within the last year.
Video of belt squeal:

PXL_20221203_000052976.jpg

If you replace the crank pulley/harmonic balancer consider doing a timing chain, water pump and check the fan clutch...all of those are in the general area.

-Mac