Benefits of mounting the spare tire inside?

dan lee

TJ Addiction
Supporting Member
So I installed one of the smitty built storage box's a few months ago, I have to say I really like it, I've been pondering mounting my 33" spare on top and strapping down. the box came with 4 tie down points
This will
A. Keep my spare secured inside from weather & potential thief's
B. Keep the weight off my tailgate
C. Maybe give me a little more clearance in the back when I am wheeling

Any reasons why I shouldn't

Thanks

2761-oncar-05.jpg

I'd like the look of that..and yeah it would deter thieves and the weather would be having a go at your tyre either...almost reminds me of the Trophy trucks.
baja.jpg

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
I actually don't think Jeeps look good from the rear, just too square. The spare really makes it all look good and very proportional.

Reactions: Starrs
So I installed one of the smitty built storage box's a few months ago, I have to say I really like it, I've been pondering mounting my 33" spare on top and strapping down. the box came with 4 tie down points
This will
A. Keep my spare secured inside from weather & potential thief's
B. Keep the weight off my tailgate
C. Maybe give me a little more clearance in the back when I am wheeling

Any reasons why I shouldn't

Thanks

A -True
B - Also true
C - Meh.. won't change the departure angle

Any reason why I shouldn't - Nope, but where will you store beer?

Does anyone strap their spare inside just for off road, and then remount on the back for DD? I have a 33" spare and even with the exo-gate I cringe on the big bumps.

Does anyone strap their spare inside just for off road, and then remount on the back for DD? I have a 33" spare and even with the exo-gate I cringe on the big bumps.
I am not sure about anybody else, but I have a swing out carrier on my bumper and it seems pretty solid. I haven't had any issues. That said I am only running 31's. I used to run a 33 on my old YJ and it had a swing out tire carrier too and I never had any issues with that either. If I did go up to 33's I would probably still trust my swing out carrier on my TJ.

I am removing my spare and installing it in the backseat. I removed the backseat and gave it away when I purchased the TJ in 2012. The benefit to me is a more stable platform. Keeping my front end tighter to the ground on steep ascents is more important than how it looks. And right now as it sits it is a very attractive rear end, but performance over aesthetics right?

DSCF0840 (1).JPG

I am removing my spare and installing it in the backseat. I removed the backseat and gave it away when I purchased the TJ in 2012. The benefit to me is a more stable platform. Keeping my front end tighter to the ground on steep ascents is more important than how it looks. And right now as it sits it is a very attractive rear end, but performance over aesthetics right?
I am not sure moving the spare into the passenger compartment will be very noticeable one way or the other since you can't move it past the center line (front to rear). If you really want to see a difference install a pull down winch in the front.

I think it’s personal preference what you want to run. Something like this set up would be ideal for me and the places I wheel because of tight turns, rear visibility, and securing my tools. Duster cover over the rear to keep weather out since I’m in the PNW.

Reactions: StG58
I'm sure you will mount it properly, but always remember everything "loose" inside a vehicle becomes a projectile in a crash. An old myth is a tissue box killed a driver; Myth Busters did the test and found the tissue box created 50lbs of force; keep that in mind when putting things inside a vehicle.
That's my contribution to derailing this thread.

View attachment 94077

I think it’s personal preference what you want to run. Something like this set up would be ideal for me and the places I wheel because of tight turns, rear visibility, and securing my tools. Duster cover over the rear to keep weather out since I’m in the PNW.
Another rear rack guy from the PNW!

I left the spare tire on the tailgate. It looks and works better for my uses. Looking at adding a chain saw mount next to the offset spare right now.
20190318_083110.jpg

Last edited: