Bent an axle, looking at Revolution Gear

TJScott

TJ Enthusiast
I have a 2003 TJ Sport, 4.0, NV3550 trans (I think), Dana 44 with disc brakes in the rear with an ARB locker, 33 x 12.5" tires and a 4" lift. I came off the freeway a couple of weeks ago into one of those long winding 90 degree off-ramps. It was wet out and I was not going very fast due to that. But, the rear let loose anyways. I came around and the passenger rear tire made contact with the curb. It hit the tire right at the rim and de-beaded the tire temporarily, long enough to allow half the air out before resealing. I can see damage to the rim at that point. I ended up in a field facing the road I just came of of. I popped it into first and drove back onto the road and back home, which was quite close. I jacked up the Jeep when I got home, removed the wheel but didn't see anything obviously damaged.
When driving my Jeep later I could hear what sounded like a rubbing sound coming from back there at low speeds. I removed the wheels again and put a dial indicator on both axles. The driver side shows 0.005 runout and the side I hit shows 0.040 runout. I looked carefully and can't see any physical rubbing of anything. Am I being over cautious here? I will have to wait until after winter to replace the axles as I will be doing this outside in the driveway (snow). So, I will keep my Jeep just around town until the end of the season. With what I've stated, am I going to damage anything by using it until I can fix it?
I'm looking at these Revolution Gear axles which are about 2 months out for shipping. My Jeep is a United States Jeep which I imported into Ontario Canada when we moved.
A Dana 44 is a Dana 44 is my guess, Canadian made Jeep or U.S. Jeep. Since I would be buying the parts here.
Are Dana 44's generally 30 spline?
Does knowing the exact model of transmission have anything to do with the fitment of these axles? They ask on their site.
I live in a rental house with a tiny garage, no vice. Can anyone think of a way to torque the lug bolts that come with the axles with limited tools, 95lbs? Pretty much hand tools only. I can't see a way to get a torque wrench behind that axle when mounted.

Thank you for your thoughts.

IMG_9194.jpeg

It’s conceivable that you could have bent the axle shaft, and your measurements may indicate that. However, a better way to check is to put everything back together, put the rear axle hosing up on jack stands, put it in gear and let it idle. If the axle shaft is bent you will easily see it - the tire will wobble a bit side to side.

I used to run a semi float rear axle and bent shafts a few times. One of the indicators was I would hear the brake caliper squeak a bit as it moved back and forth at low speed - due to the rotor moving out of true because of the bent shaft.

0.040" at the flange will be over 1/4" at the tire. You might feel that. You could also measure it on the rim with the tire on. See how much it is there.

Yes Dana 44 axles are all 30 spline and the transmission type doesn't affect anything inside the axle. Revolution Gear would be a great choice for your new axle shafts.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
It seems from the replies here that I'm pretty safe getting through the winter on the bent axle. I may try lifting the Jeep and let it idle to see how things look. Or have my wife drive it and I can follow her to see if it looks grossly out of whack on the road. It's not an expense we take lightly at the moment but I really like my TJ and want to keep it for years to come, I have it sprayed every year for the salt. It will at least slow its demise.
It hasn't seen off-road since the move. The closest place to play near our city is 5 hours away. Not exactly convenient. In the high desert where we moved from, it was around the block. But, I'm still going to keep it in its current configuration except I will go more narrow with the tires when these are worn. Narrower works better in the snow I understand. I'll go down to 10.5", that should work without looking too odd.
I think to torque the bolts, I will put them into the axle, then the axle into the tire/rim and hold that down on the ground and torque them down. You guys are the best.

I have a 2003 TJ Sport, 4.0, NV3550 trans (I think), Dana 44 with disc brakes in the rear with an ARB locker, 33 x 12.5" tires and a 4" lift. I came off the freeway a couple of weeks ago into one of those long winding 90 degree off-ramps. It was wet out and I was not going very fast due to that. But, the rear let loose anyways. I came around and the passenger rear tire made contact with the curb. It hit the tire right at the rim and de-beaded the tire temporarily, long enough to allow half the air out before resealing. I can see damage to the rim at that point. I ended up in a field facing the road I just came of of. I popped it into first and drove back onto the road and back home, which was quite close. I jacked up the Jeep when I got home, removed the wheel but didn't see anything obviously damaged.
When driving my Jeep later I could hear what sounded like a rubbing sound coming from back there at low speeds. I removed the wheels again and put a dial indicator on both axles. The driver side shows 0.005 runout and the side I hit shows 0.040 runout. I looked carefully and can't see any physical rubbing of anything. Am I being over cautious here? I will have to wait until after winter to replace the axles as I will be doing this outside in the driveway (snow). So, I will keep my Jeep just around town until the end of the season. With what I've stated, am I going to damage anything by using it until I can fix it?
I'm looking at these Revolution Gear axles which are about 2 months out for shipping. My Jeep is a United States Jeep which I imported into Ontario Canada when we moved.
A Dana 44 is a Dana 44 is my guess, Canadian made Jeep or U.S. Jeep. Since I would be buying the parts here.
Are Dana 44's generally 30 spline?
Does knowing the exact model of transmission have anything to do with the fitment of these axles? They ask on their site.
I live in a rental house with a tiny garage, no vice. Can anyone think of a way to torque the lug bolts that come with the axles with limited tools, 95lbs? Pretty much hand tools only. I can't see a way to get a torque wrench behind that axle when mounted.

Thank you for your thoughts.

View attachment 381389

When I installed the lugs into my Revolution shafts, I used the lugs as a leverage point while I torque one at a time. Thread all 5 lugs in and tighten snugly. Slip a piece of hose over 2 lugs opposite the one you're ready to torque. The hoses are to protect the threads. Put a pry bar or beefy screw driver between the lugs with the hoses over them as an anchor point. Use the bar to hold the axle in place while you torque one lug. Then rotate your way around, switching which lugs you use as anchors. I used a vice to steady the axle but you could use a helper instead.