Bent frame???

VallenMaes

TJ Enthusiast
Unfortunately i have been in two different car accidents this month. The first was pretty minor and im still doing my own repairs. (it was cheaper and i needed the extra cash to buy my lady a ring) I had the frame inspected and everything checked out. Then three days ago i was in an accident that was a bit of a hard hitter. Im ok but Jerry the jeep is a hurting unit. he idles rougher, wobbles from 60-65 mph(not death wobble but just a shimmy, however i dont want it turning into dw), my drivers seat is reclined back but not in the good way as it doesnt lean any farther forward, and my rear end has seen some prettier days. My question is with how hard she hit, (i was almost fully stopped and was hit by her at probably 50-60mph) should i expect frame damage? If the frame is damaged, is it still a "safe" vehicle for minor trails and such?

I would bet that the frame is damaged. That is why you are getting the wobbles, something is now out of line. You will want to get that pulled back into line.

You see Jeeps all the time with salvage or rebuilt titles. So you shouldn't be afraid of using it as a Jeep was intended after the proper repairs are made.

Reactions: VallenMaes
I'm not sure how it works in NE but here in GA if you get hit in the rear it is typically the other drivers fault. Was there a police report made? You can contact your insurance agent and let them know you were hit and that you will be needing to have your Jeep repaired. Then you will either file it under your insurance for repair and let them go after the other drives insurance to cover the cost or you can file it against the other drives insurance. The police report should have their info on it.

Right. I called and made a claim through her provider and the police report says she was at fault. I guess what im asking is what all do i need to tell the shop and insurance to make sure they do a good job and to actually get everything. The lady i was talking to on the phone said that there isnt anything showing my vehicle in perfect running condition and that "they would see" about looking into the shimmy, seat and rough idle.

Take it to the Jeep dealership body shop and let them look it over. Then take it to a local body shop that you know does top notch work. They can tell you what is wrong and needs fixed. Also, whoever does the work may run into something once the start taking things apart. It's hard to say what may be wrong hiding underneath.

They might total the jeep if damage costs are beyond a certain limit. Find a good body shop that has state of the art frame equipment and get it measured.

When I got rear ended in 2007, I developed a problem with my throughout bearing on my clutch. Like you I was stopped and got hit by a girl texting doing 35 mph. The price to fix it was $9,000 at the time. And like you my drivers side seat was reclined (and not in a good way). If you have a manual transmission make sure you listen to your bearing. Mine started off as an occaisional whine and worked its way up to a shimmy when driving. And my jeep only had 35,000 miles on it at the time I was hit so it wasn't going bad on its own. The other thing to check is the goose neck filler on your gas line. Mine was cracked and I didn't know it was bad until I put my first tank of gas into it after getting it back from the shop.

When I got rear ended in 2007, I developed a problem with my throughout bearing on my clutch. Like you I was stopped and got hit by a girl texting doing 35 mph. The price to fix it was $9,000 at the time. And like you my drivers side seat was reclined (and not in a good way). If you have a manual transmission make sure you listen to your bearing. Mine started off as an occaisional whine and worked its way up to a shimmy when driving. And my jeep only had 35,000 miles on it at the time I was hit so it wasn't going bad on its own. The other thing to check is the goose neck filler on your gas line. Mine was cracked and I didn't know it was bad until I put my first tank of gas into it after getting it back from the shop.

Thank you for the information! did you have the clutch pedal pushed in? Also i think im good on the tank cause i just filled up this morning with no problem but i will definitely check to make sure. ill take it to my tranny shop. I seriously just put in a new clutch 3 months ago.

Thank you for the information! did you have the clutch pedal pushed in? Also i think im good on the tank cause i just filled up this morning with no problem but i will definitely check to make sure. ill take it to my tranny shop. I seriously just put in a new clutch 3 months ago.

I had the clutch depressed when I got hit. I was not in neutral. I was in first gear with the clutch depressed waiting for a car to make a let turn in front of me. Also my frame was not bent. Just some tub damage to the drivers side rear.

1st check the laws in NE. Here in AZ you choose who repairs your rig not the insurance co. As Bobthetj and JP98 states, find a good shop with a solid rep. to get the estimate for ALL of the repairs; you do not have to take what the Ins Co is offering necessarily. 2nd if it is totaled you can buy it back as salvage from the Ins Co and get a salvaged title for it, as JP states salvaged jeeps are not uncommon and if fixed properly are fine.

Reactions: JP98 and VallenMaes