With so many unfinished projects it was time to start another! I started working on my rockers/body mounts/boat sides/(mini boat sides?).
I picked up some 3/16" x 3" plate and some 1.75" x 3/16" DOM (that stuff ain't cheap!)
This Jeep had some rust. So I cut it all out!
I drilled holes and bolted the plate to the body to mark my cut line.
View attachment 414309
Then I got to cutting.
View attachment 414310
View attachment 414311
I counter sunk all the holes in the plate.
View attachment 414312
View attachment 414313
Starting to get a feel for how it will all look and line up.
View attachment 414314
There was not much left of the middle body mount. I left the frontmost body mount in place on each side to locate the body fore/aft and side to side.
View attachment 414315
I cut out the entire channel from back to front that runs under the tub and locates the body mounts. It was rusty and in the way. I took it out in a few chunks.
View attachment 414316
I decided to have a little fun with the name of the Jeep on the computer and then the plasma table.
View attachment 414321
My buddy tacked the tube in place at the bottom of the rocker plate. It will get longer stitch welds but we ran out of gas.
View attachment 414322
I will run 5 tubes perpendicular to the rocker tubing at a slight angle down to the frame and that will be a two-in-one rocker protection and body mount. The body will bolt to the plate and still be removable. I'd also like to locate the perpendicular tubes in a way that I can tie A and B pillars off of for a legit roll cage in the future.
I may or may not skin the underside with steel and or UHMW plastic. I am on the fence. I think aesthetically that would look best but I'm also trying to be conscious of cost and weight. It may come later.
View attachment 414323
I am planning on capping the end of the tube front and back for a clean look.
View attachment 414325
More to come! Stay tuned.