Bessy the Rock Rod - A Crawler Built in Stages

I also got a little wild at a recent local swap meet and purchased these:
100.jpg

101.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They are some very worn-in (and honestly pretty clapped out) 39/13.50/17 BFG Krawler Red Label stickies. I know it's probably a bad idea but I got an awesome deal and I think I'm going to try my luck with them! Fricken YOLO bud, don'tcha know!? I know these are completely pushing the limits of the Dana 44s but I want to try them. After watching BleepinJeep on Youtube wheel the heck out of his Scorpion Cherokee on Dana 44s and 40" sticky Treps for years I have some faith that I might be able to keep my axles alive. We'll see.

My grand plan is to lower the suspension a little bit (down to stock height plus the existing 1" body lift), do a pretty high cut on the hood and the rear fenders, stretch it a little more (from 100" to probably 102" or 103"), and test my luck with these 39s. If I immediately break catastrophically I'll admit my wrongs and go back to a 38" or 37" non-sticky.

This is my desired future look and stance with the 39s:
Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 9.46.43 PM.png

Hopefully this dude I follow on Instagram doesn't mind me sharing his sweet TJ as inspiration.

Last edited:
Is this at Trollhagen? I have very clear memories is parking and camping in a clearing just like this with my dad when I was a kid.

View attachment 334948

That's awesome! It is is actually from the parking area at Frontenac Farms in Lake City MN but the video and most of the other pictures were taken at Trollhaugen in Dresser! Both fields look very similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
That's awesome! It is is actually from the parking area at Frontenac Farms in Lake City MN but the video and most of the other pictures were taken at Trollhaugen in Dresser! Both fields look very similar.
This might interest you. My dad found this in a drawer not too long ago and sent it to me.
20220604_221415~2.jpg

Long time no update---It's time for an update! I managed to get the Jeep out wheeling a few times this past summer and had a blast pushing it to it's limits.

102.jpg

102.1.jpg

102.2.jpg

103.jpg

In late October I was wheeling at Frontenac Farms and came across a very gnarly, tall, undercut rock ledge that I had conquered previously in the season with very tactful driving, a couple of wheel stands to get positioned correctly, and a generous bump. After watching several buggies attempt this ledge and struggle (one flopped completely), it was my turn. This time the obstacle looked different than before---The ledge was very dug out from bigger rigs spinning their tires before me. A smarter version of me would have known when to quit. I gave the ledge bump after bump after bump until finally giving up. Once off of the obstacle and parked, I noticed I had damaged my frame (and more) from all of the attempts made.

Several attempts at the impossible rock ledge caved in my leaf spring hanger which dented, cracked, and bent the frame of my Jeep. This caused my leaf shackle to invert which further bent the left framerail downward and buckled my tub. In addition, two of the attempts put the side of my Jeep into a huge rock, banging up my passenger rear quarter panel.. With a damaged frame and tub I limped onto the trailer.

104.jpg

105.jpg

Last edited:
Now the tear down has begun. I cut the frame in half right behind the transfer case skid and started back halfing it. I am still planning on running the trusty ole leaf springs. They will live on the inside of the frame rail with nothing hanging down to hang up on. I have also mocked up my fuel cell. That will either mount on the floor behind the back seat or sunk into the tub behind the back seat. I am also working on high lining the inner fenders both front and rear to make room for my bigger tires. I got some new corner blanks and a new CJ tailgate to replace my banged up body panels. It's going to be clean and straight again!

The goal is a lower ride height (roughly stock height + 1" body lift), a little longer wheelbase, and 39" tires. I picked up some Corbeau suspension seats and PRP harnesses---and I'm planning on building a half way legit roll cage. I made a sketch of what it may look like for my own inspiration. Plenty of work ahead! Stay tuned.

107.jpg

106.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

Last edited:
I made a little more progress on the Jeep this past week. I got both quarter panels hammered straight again. They had both gotten into some big rocks and needed some massaging. Both highline inner fenders are now in. These Motobilt inner fenders weren't exactly a perfect fit but with enough trimming they fit fine. If I had designed them, I would have made them go right up to the body line rather than stopping shy of it. They will allow 2.25" more up travel though so that is a win!

I drew some fish plates and leaf hangers for the rear bumper and cut them out. The leaf hangers may change depending on final ride height. I was able to start mocking up the springs. If the leaf springs weren't weird enough for you, I'm going to run spring sliders (rather than shackles). The spring sliders use a UHMW puck (not pictured) that slides along the rail. These sliders will hang alongside the inner frame rail so there won't be any brackets hanging below the frame whatsoever...Just flat and smooth.

The wheelbase is currently mocked up to sit at 104.5".

I got good deal on a new CJ tailgate to replace the old tailgate that was dented. Pay no mind to the crude corner cuts. I will clean those up and I have new corner blanks to go over them. The new corner blanks will get a round radius cut all the way up to the inner fender and wrapping down around the back of the corner. More to come, stay tuned.

113.jpg

113.5.jpg

115.jpg

114.jpg

Last edited:
I like it, it’s different at least. Interested to see how it performs.

I spent a little time in the shop yesterday. My wife and I both work and we have a baby so free time is limited but I sneak away when I can to fiddle on the Jeep.
I built a "tramp stamp" for the tailgate hinges to attach to and mounted the Motobilt corner blanks. I'm just waiting on new hinges to arrive for the CJ tailgate. Tomorrow I'm going to try to figure out how to mount the leaf sliders to the inside of the frame rails so I can get the axle back under the Jeep.

116.jpg

117.jpg

I like it, it’s different at least. Interested to see how it performs.

Thanks. It may be different, but I think it will work pretty well. We did a similar back half to my buddys Jeep last summer and it works great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Therbytj
I did some putzing on the jeep over the past week. I dismounted my 37s. Sanded all the gouges out of the beadlock rings, polished the wheels, and mounted the sticky tires.

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

I also modified some CJ hinges to get my tailgate mounted.
118.jpg

Lastly, I lowered the grill 1.25" which added a subtle rake to the hood. Then I started mocking up Cavfab firewall/battery mounts and some Poison Spyder highline inner fenders. I'm pretty impressed with the build quality on both of these items. The wheel opening will be 3-4" larger in all directions! The blue tape is where I'm planning on cutting the hood. I'm going to need a new battery for the angled mount.

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

Love your build. It's cool to see another 4-banger going full crawler. Any thoughts on a V8 swap? My build followed a similar path and now I'm going 1 ton's and an LS swap. Keep up the great work!!

Love your build. It's cool to see another 4-banger going full crawler. Any thoughts on a V8 swap? My build followed a similar path and now I'm going 1 ton's and an LS swap. Keep up the great work!!

Thank you for the complement and encouragement regarding my build! I haven't put much consideration into an engine swap. A healthy 5.3 or 6.0 would be awesome but It just isn't on the priority list at this point. I could however see going to Dana 60s eventually for deeper gearing and strength if my driving style/mechanical failures deem it necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sj's TJ

Thank you for the complement and encouragement regarding my build! I haven't put much consideration into an engine swap. A healthy 5.3 or 6.0 would be awesome but It just isn't on the priority list at this point. I could however see going to Dana 60s eventually for deeper gearing and strength if my driving style/mechanical failures deem it necessary.

Oh man, you guys and your LS’s. Sometimes I think @Apparition and @toximus are slipping something into your coffee…

🙂

Your build is looking great, Kyle.

Last edited:
Oh man, you guys and your LS’s. Sometimes I think @Apparition and @toximus are slipping something into your coffee…

🙂

Your build is looking great, Kyle.

It honestly just shows a total lack of creative thinking. Anyone can swap in a LS but you have to really enjoy what you do to swap in a Magnum or Hemi... Of course we ALL know which is the better options.

It honestly just shows a total lack of creative thinking. Anyone can swap in a LS but you have to really enjoy what you do to swap in a Magnum or Hemi... Of course we ALL know which is the better options.

Yeah, the one that has been done a million times and has all kinds of support for..

I made a little more progress today---Redesigned and tacked on the rear bumper leaf hangers to sit about 1.5" higher. I didn't like the way they looked hanging down on version 1 of the bracket. They are tucked in nice and tight against the bumper now. I also got my axle brackets set in place so I was finally able to sit the Jeep on all four wheels and see how it all looks.

The rear end is sitting about 1.25" lower than it was before this entire back half project which puts me at an estimated .75"~1" of rear suspension lift-—-this is a hair higher than I wanted so I might take a leaf out or I might leave it. I was aiming for stock suspension height for cool factor.

I'm going to play around with removing the 2" spacer that sits atop the OEM front coils or swap it for a .75" coil spacer.

Right now it is 1.25" higher in front vs rear with the existing 2" coil spacers on the OEM front coils.

Wheelbase is currently 103.5". Belly height is 19". Frame height is 19.5". 12psi in the worn 39s. 1" body lift (excluding the grill).

126.jpg

127.jpg

The new departure angle is going to be great.

128.jpg

129.jpg

I can't wait to cut out the wheel openings on my corner armor blanks and my hood!

Last edited:
Small update after working on the Jeep a bit today. I pulled the smallest leaf out of each rear leaf pack which lowered the rear about an inch. I also removed the 2" coil spacer from the OEM front coils.

The Jeep is sitting level with stock front springs!

No suspension lift, 103.5" wheelbase, 39" tires. The 1" body lift remains (except under the grill).

SHE'S LOW! ...but I like it!

131.jpg

130.jpg

132.jpg

I also cut the corner armor. I did a 20" radius with a marker and some scrap metal on a swivel.

133.jpg

I will need to open it up a bit toward the front of the opening as the tire makes contact there before full stuff (hence the marker line).

134.jpg

Last edited: