Best Adjustable Control Arms?

Patrick P.

I'm in the market for a set of adjustable control arms for my 2004 Wrangler TJ. The vehicle is mostly used for daily driving, but it sees the occasional off-road use (I'd say about 15% of the time). The two manufacturers that I'm mostly looking at are Metalcloak and Currie. I know that both of these brands are very reputable, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any reason why one might be better than the other?

For instance, I have heard that the Currie Johnny Joint is very easy to build, but it's much harsher on the street versus the Duroflex joint that Metalcloak uses (which comparably is more expensive to rebuild).

As far as I know both joints offer the same amount of maximum misalignment, so I am on the fence about which one I should go with. One plus side to the Metalcloak is that they are around $1000 for a complete set of adjustable control arms versus $1300+ for the complete set of Curries.

I'm in the market for a set of adjustable control arms for my 2004 Wrangler TJ. The vehicle is mostly used for daily driving, but it sees the occasional off-road use (I'd say about 15% of the time). The two manufacturers that I'm mostly looking at are Metalcloak and Currie. I know that both of these brands are very reputable, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any reason why one might be better than the other?

For instance, I have heard that the Currie Johnny Joint is very easy to build, but it's much harsher on the street versus the Duroflex joint that Metalcloak uses (which comparably is more expensive to rebuild).

As far as I know both joints offer the same amount of maximum misalignment, so I am on the fence about which one I should go with. One plus side to the Metalcloak is that they are around $1000 for a complete set of adjustable control arms versus $1300+ for the complete set of Curries.

When it comes to selecting certain things like suspension links, it pays to read between the lines a bit to find out what is going on. Take note of the complete philosophy of the company and compare that philosophy to the products they offer to gain some insight as to what they are "selling" versus what you should be buying.

MC has built an entire cult around this so called soft ride bushing and why you need it as a suspension link. In fact they use a rod end (heim joint) in their test table to illustrate the harshest ride "possible" on one end of the spectrum and their joint on the other end to show the "least" amount of transfer of NVH.

To understand the rest of what I'm going to say, you need to understand the definition of a suspension link and that is a locating arm or link that is use to laterally or longitudinally locate the axle under the chassis. Each TJ axle has 5 links locating it, 4 control arms and a trackbar. Now that you know what a link is and how it would be impossible to have a soft ride by using a rod end due to the rude amounts of NVH it would transmit, why would you then build a trackbar with a rod end on one end of it if that was in fact what your philosophy was?

I'll fend off a fair bit of the BS right now and say I don't really know the answer. I have a lot of supposition and theory that I won't go into here, but it does have to give one pause to wonder.

To understand the rest of what I'm going to say, you need to understand the definition of a suspension link and that is a locating arm or link that is use to laterally or longitudinally locate the axle under the chassis. Each TJ axle has 5 links locating it, 4 control arms and a trackbar. Now that you know what a link is and how it would be impossible to have a soft ride by using a rod end due to the rude amounts of NVH it would transmit, why would you then build a trackbar with a rod end on one end of it if that was in fact what your philosophy was?

Every time you open your mouth I learn something new. I didn't even think about the fact that the Metalcloak track bars are a Duroflex joint on one end and a heim joint on the other. Pretty ironic (if that is even the right word) since that doesn't seem to fit with their philosophy.

It seems like everyone I talk to both locally and online is pretty enamored over Metalcloak and their products. I haven't yet found anyone that's actually said anything bad about them. I personally don't own any of their stuff, but I'm actually in a very similar situation as the OP myself. I need to find some good adjustable control arms in order to do my tummy tuck. It's a really hard decision since there are SOOOO many options out there. Savvy, IRO, Metalcloak, Currie... The list goes on.

I'm not sure what the "best" control arms are since that's probably a relative thing. I can however tell you that I personally run the Currie control arms and love the way they perform both on-road and off-road.

Reactions: Jon Wildes
I'm not sure what the "best" control arms are since that's probably a relative thing. I can however tell you that I personally run the Currie control arms and love the way they perform both on-road and off-road.
X2 on all of that. And I know of no one who ever bought Currie arms who later regretted that decision.

X2 on all of that. And I know of no one who ever bought Currie arms who later regretted that decision.

I don't think Currie could make anything bad if they tried. I have the Currie Currectlync and Antirock and both of them are fantastic in terms of build quality.

Hopefully they are made in the US.

For my 99% street use, I could have probably been fine just using Rough Country. Even the trails that I do see are nothing more than glorified forest roads. Even though I don't do anything in my Jeep that requires top of the line gear, my philosophy is to overbuild. My choice was narrowed down to what my research considered the two top companies, Currie and Metalcloak. I'm being completely honest here, I chose Metalcloak because I got a great deal on them and I liked the look of the zinc chromate finish. I thought it played well with the Sienna Pearl of my Jeep. :p

I'll probably get flamed for saying that but really, my needs did not require me to put anymore thought into it than that. Based on my use, and what sounds like yours, I don't know that I would ever be able to tell the difference.

Every time you open your mouth I learn something new. I didn't even think about the fact that the Metalcloak track bars are a Duroflex joint on one end and a heim joint on the other. Pretty ironic (if that is even the right word) since that doesn't seem to fit with their philosophy.

It seems like everyone I talk to both locally and online is pretty enamored over Metalcloak and their products. I haven't yet found anyone that's actually said anything bad about them.

They are very aggressive in their marketing and hunting down folks who speak ill of their products on the internet. There are several folks who wouldn't take another MC product if you gave it to them and installed it for free.

Some of the rest of it is marketing that again appeals to the ignorance of the average owner. If I tell you that I'm using Chromemoly to build you a trackbar, most oooh and aaah over it because they think it's something super special. What I've left out is the grade and how it was heat treated and if you don't know that, you know very little. They said at one point it was 4130 which does little to add strength unless you heat treat it and if you go through that mess to build a product, you're certainly going to let someone know that so it's safe to assume it isn't and obviously the cost of it also reflects that it hasn't been.

There are several grades and alloys of steels that are better choices for use in a trackbar but if I tell you I'm building you a whiz bang bar out of 1035, your eyes glaze over a bit and you tend to never recall what I said. Not to mention that unless you heat treat 4130 or any of the 4000 series steels, (yes, they are all just a steel alloy of some kind) you're just spending money for no reason.

Dig around on the net and educate yourself on the various properties of steel alloys. Look up 1035 and 4130 and see which one you would want a trackbar made from. An easy benchmark is to use the yield strength as a base comparison.

One of the reasons I'm so familiar is I built Gerald at Savvy several tie rods for one of his rigs. Sleeved 4130 lasted a trip, solid 4130 the same, solid 4340 (used for high strength axles) the same. I finally built him one out of 4340 and had it heat treated and he was never able to tear it up and now it is the standard for their tie rods they sell. Material AND condition are what matters, nothing else.

They are very aggressive in their marketing and hunting down folks who speak ill of their products on the internet. There are several folks who wouldn't take another MC product if you gave it to them and installed it for free.

Some of the rest of it is marketing that again appeals to the ignorance of the average owner. If I tell you that I'm using Chromemoly to build you a trackbar, most oooh and aaah over it because they think it's something super special. What I've left out is the grade and how it was heat treated and if you don't know that, you know very little. They said at one point it was 4130 which does little to add strength unless you heat treat it and if you go through that mess to build a product, you're certainly going to let someone know that so it's safe to assume it isn't and obviously the cost of it also reflects that it hasn't been.

There are several grades and alloys of steels that are better choices for use in a trackbar but if I tell you I'm building you a whiz bang bar out of 1035, your eyes glaze over a bit and you tend to never recall what I said. Not to mention that unless you heat treat 4130 or any of the 4000 series steels, (yes, they are all just a steel alloy of some kind) you're just spending money for no reason.

Dig around on the net and educate yourself on the various properties of steel alloys. Look up 1035 and 4130 and see which one you would want a trackbar made from. An easy benchmark is to use the yield strength as a base comparison.

One of the reasons I'm so familiar is I built Gerald at Savvy several tie rods for one of his rigs. Sleeved 4130 lasted a trip, solid 4130 the same, solid 4340 (used for high strength axles) the same. I finally built him one out of 4340 and had it heat treated and he was never able to tear it up and now it is the standard for their tie rods they sell. Material AND condition are what matters, nothing else.

I knew Metalcloak was pretty good with their marketing. I didn't realize they were so aggressive with hunting people down. I know that they seem to have caught on like wild fire. It seems like anyone you talk to these days is always talking about how great Metalcloak is.

I really enjoy reading your responses. You're one of the very few people who I feel is not actually biased towards any particular brand or product, and you also have a wealth of knowledge that we can all learn from.

I agree that the chromoly thing is completely overhyped. I am not a metallurgist, but I've researched enough to know some of what you speak of. This begs the question though, how do you feel about the aluminum control arms in terms of how they compare to steel / chromoly control arms? I've noticed that Savvy, Metalcloak and maybe a few others, offer an aluminum version. Now I know the aluminum would be lighter obviously, but is it weaker or not as durable?

I'm actually in a similar situation as the OP since I'll be needing control arms sometime as well.

Reactions: Ron505
I really enjoy reading your responses. You're one of the very few people who I feel is not actually biased towards any particular brand or product, and you also have a wealth of knowledge that we can all learn from.

I agree. There are a few people on various forums that I consider subject matter experts, and when I find their responses I know that I can more than likely stop researching. We are lucky to have two of them here, Blaine and Jerry.

Reactions: Ron505 and Chris
I agree. I don't like to just blindly buy things. I like to try and research my options as much as possible before buying since I know that a lot of the stuff you read on the Internet is just marketing hype.

I knew Metalcloak was pretty good with their marketing. I didn't realize they were so aggressive with hunting people down. I know that they seem to have caught on like wild fire. It seems like anyone you talk to these days is always talking about how great Metalcloak is.

I agree that the chromoly thing is completely overhyped. I am not a metallurgist, but I've researched enough to know some of what you speak of. This begs the question though, how do you feel about the aluminum control arms in terms of how they compare to steel / chromoly control arms? I've noticed that Savvy, Metalcloak and maybe a few others, offer an aluminum version. Now I know the aluminum would be lighter obviously, but is it weaker or not as durable?

I'm actually in a similar situation as the OP since I'll be needing control arms sometime as well.

Do not for a second believe that I am not biased and not connected. I'm highly connected and or biased to Savvy, Currie, Revolution Axle and Gear, Tactical Recovery Equipment, PSC, et al due to my associations, friendships, business relationships, and just plain ole I happen to like what the products do. My biggest advantage when it comes to discussions is I don't care what you run or how you spend your money. If you want a fairly accurate perspective on something, I can usually do it. If I can't, I tend to keep my mouth shut.

If the average person reads what I said above, they will come away thinking I said something bad about MC and I didn't. I merely posted up some stuff to get folks to think so they walk into a purchase with their eyes open and not blinded by marketing. That said, I tend to look at something as a whole and base my evaluation on that. When MC first introduced their joint on JF, they were very insistent on it being ONLY a choice for folks who tended to spend most of their time on the street and at no point was it to be considered a replacement for the JJ nor were they going after the JJ market. Then when you went to their site to view their comparison video, the first thing they did was compare the misalignment angle of their joint to the JJ. (they got the JJ wrong because they didn't turn it until the body bottomed out on the control arm tabs).

Angular misalignment is a marketing ploy. Almost all joints are limited by three things. Width between the tabs, diameter of the joint barrel, and width of the joint barrel. To increase misalignment, you have to change one or more of the three. Since most won't re-weld on new tabs, that leaves the other two. If the diameter of the barrel is the same, to increase misalignment you have to narrow up the barrel. If you narrow the barrel, you are decreasing bearing surface area so it's all a trade off.

You can't hold up a joint and say it has more misalignment in one breath while not mentioning that you had to make it narrower or smaller diameter if you want me to believe you are being honest. Along with that honesty, you should also mention that less than 1% of us will ever have enough travel to use all the misalignment found on just one end of most control arms. It takes roughly 16" of travel to max out the M/A in a single JJ. Having a degree or two more doesn't mean anything if you can't utilize it and we can't.

Then we have the overall question of suspension design and what works in general. We've found through lots of trial and error that more than about 11" of travel in a shock for the front axle keeps the extreme end of the droop tolerable so the tire will still climb stuff and NOT tear stuff up. It's about 12" for the rear and that's dependent upon wheelbase, belly height etc. so you don't wind up eating up the CV in the rear driveshaft. CV rear driveshafts won't support much more than that on a TJ or you have to move to a Super Short SYE or high dollar high misalignment shaft.

As for aluminum, it all has to do with the application. What is missed is how long is the arm? 16" arms can typically handle being smaller diameter in steel or aluminum and as the arm length increases, so does the diameter have to. You also have to factor in terrain. Look at the obvious fragility of a stock arm and figure that almost any aftermarket arm will be a lot stronger simply due to brute force engineering. We aren't smart enough as designers to do the same things with the same amounts of material, so we just throw lots of metal at it to solve the problems. The alloy is critical. 7075 T-6 is the lowest strength I would use for lowers, 6061 T-6 for uppers. My preference would be 7068 for lowers but it is hard to find and very expensive.

I run both, I don't have a preference. I tend to really appreciate the convenience of a double adjustable arm, but I don't always build them that way.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
I hear what you're saying Blaine. So I guess the next question is how do you feel the Johnny Joint performs for street use? Is it as harsh and rough as some people claim it is? In other words, would you run Johnny Joint control arms on a rig that sees a lot of around town driving or is the NVH quite harsh?

Have you ever had a chance to actually compare the Johnny Joint to a Duroflex joint in a real world application? I'm only curious since it would be interesting to know.

In my personal search for control arms I was considering the following:
Savvy Aluminum Control Arms
Currie Control Arms

The Savvys are aluminum and the Curries are not. Other than that they both use Johnny Joints, but the Savvys are considerably cheaper. Now I personally run the Currie Currectlync and Antirock and I can tell you that the quality of those parts are nothing short of amazing. That being said, I'm not sure which one to go with since ultimately they appear pretty much identical other than the fact that the Savvys are aluminum.

In addition to that the only thing I am curious about is how much NVH the Johnny Joint control arms will give me on the street. I would just hope it's not mind numbing amounts of NVH is all.

Well, you guys definitely have me re-thinking the control arms thing. There's so many choices which make it difficult to decide. Not to mention that all the marketing they push at you really leads you to believe one product (i.e. Metalcloak) is really that much better than the others.

decisions, decisions.....

EDIT: I hadn't seen the Savvys before @Chris, those might be worth looking into for myself also. Thanks!

I hear what you're saying Blaine. So I guess the next question is how do you feel the Johnny Joint performs for street use? Is it as harsh and rough as some people claim it is? In other words, would you run Johnny Joint control arms on a rig that sees a lot of around town driving or is the NVH quite harsh?

Have you ever had a chance to actually compare the Johnny Joint to a Duroflex joint in a real world application? I'm only curious since it would be interesting to know.

In my personal search for control arms I was considering the following:
Savvy Aluminum Control Arms
Currie Control Arms

The Savvys are aluminum and the Curries are not. Other than that they both use Johnny Joints, but the Savvys are considerably cheaper. Now I personally run the Currie Currectlync and Antirock and I can tell you that the quality of those parts are nothing short of amazing. That being said, I'm not sure which one to go with since ultimately they appear pretty much identical other than the fact that the Savvys are aluminum.

In addition to that the only thing I am curious about is how much NVH the Johnny Joint control arms will give me on the street. I would just hope it's not mind numbing amounts of NVH is all.

Lots of folks would benefit from longer time on the internet. For a very long time there was a huge contingent that had never run the JJ and therefore did not understand how it performed on the street. As such, they tended to believe that the only good ride came from OEM Clevite bushings and nothing else could be good. Finally a lot of us with experience with both who have done AB comparisons stepped in and explained over and over that very it is very difficult to tell the difference between the JJ and OEM arms.

Nothing rides better than OEM arms, period, the end. So with that said, we have 4 rigs we drive on the street and I've built so many for folks I can't keep track. 2 of mine have OEM arms on them, the Cherokee that is bone stock and the TJ Unlimited that is bone stock. Neither are any better than the 2 on JJ's.

Gerald at Savvy did a little test with a potential customer on JF. He told him he would send him both sets of arms, run both and send back and pay for the ones he liked the least. He kept the Savvy arms.

Savvy and Currie collaborate a bunch and are still undefeated in racing KOH EMC. You won't go wrong with either if you decide to go that direction.

Lots of folks would benefit from longer time on the internet. For a very long time there was a huge contingent that had never run the JJ and therefore did not understand how it performed on the street. As such, they tended to believe that the only good ride came from OEM Clevite bushings and nothing else could be good. Finally a lot of us with experience with both who have done AB comparisons stepped in and explained over and over that very it is very difficult to tell the difference between the JJ and OEM arms.

Nothing rides better than OEM arms, period, the end. So with that said, we have 4 rigs we drive on the street and I've built so many for folks I can't keep track. 2 of mine have OEM arms on them, the Cherokee that is bone stock and the TJ Unlimited that is bone stock. Neither are any better than the 2 on JJ's.

Gerald at Savvy did a little test with a potential customer on JF. He told him he would send him both sets of arms, run both and send back and pay for the ones he liked the least. He kept the Savvy arms.

Savvy and Currie collaborate a bunch and are still undefeated in racing KOH EMC. You won't go wrong with either if you decide to go that direction.

Good to know. As I said, I think that the Savvy and Currie arms are so identical that it simply boils down to whether you want steel or aluminum. Do you personally know how much weight is saved (roughly) with the aluminum control arms?

It's good to hear that about the JJ. I read to much on the Internet, and a lot of people (probably people who have never even run them) talk about how bad the JJs are on the street. That's the problem with Internet forums. I think you get a lot of guys who like to bash things that they personally have never even tried. They're just repeating what they hear other people say, so then it's completely unsubstantiated claims.

Either way, I'm going to ultimately go with the Savvy or Currie arms for my rig. I think the fact that I own numerous other Currie products and love them is a testament to the quality of their products.

Reactions: Ron505
Good to know. As I said, I think that the Savvy and Currie arms are so identical that it simply boils down to whether you want steel or aluminum. Do you personally know how much weight is saved (roughly) with the aluminum control arms?

That is very much like the M/A marketing. With a short arm, there is no discernible performance difference between the heaviest and lightest arms on the market when it comes to weight so it is a question with an answer that is not a solution to anything. It just doesn't matter but if it did, the aluminum arms are heavier.

It's good to hear that about the JJ. I read to much on the Internet, and a lot of people (probably people who have never even run them) talk about how bad the JJs are on the street. That's the problem with Internet forums. I think you get a lot of guys who like to bash things that they personally have never even tried. They're just repeating what they hear other people say, so then it's completely unsubstantiated claims.

Some of that goes on but there is also a large contingent that loves to bash anything that is good simply because they won't ever see the value or performance differences.

Either way, I'm going to ultimately go with the Savvy or Currie arms for my rig. I think the fact that I own numerous other Currie products and love them is a testament to the quality of their products.

You seem to be fairly astute when it comes to noticing the differences in how stuff feels and works so I'm looking forward to your review of the experience and if you notice all the "bad" stuff that is supposed to happen. I suspect it will be fairly enlightening for a whole bunch of folks.

That is very much like the M/A marketing. With a short arm, there is no discernible performance difference between the heaviest and lightest arms on the market when it comes to weight so it is a question with an answer that is not a solution to anything. It just doesn't matter but if it did, the aluminum arms are heavier.

Good point, one I overlooked!

Some of that goes on but there is also a large contingent that loves to bash anything that is good simply because they won't ever see the value or performance differences.

Ah yes... This happens all to often. Check out the Jeep Wrangler TJ Group on Facebook and probably 90% of the people on there are heavily in favor of Rough Country lifts (uhhhhh) because they'll tell you that they are cheap, affordable and all the performance you'll ever need. Something like Currie (as an example) would be a huge waste of money according to these guys.

You seem to be fairly astute when it comes to noticing the differences in how stuff feels and works so I'm looking forward to your review of the experience and if you notice all the "bad" stuff that is supposed to happen. I suspect it will be fairly enlightening for a whole bunch of folks.

When I install the Johnny Joint arms I'll post a review on them. My TJ isn't a daily driver (we have a CR-V for that), but we drive it on the weekend and on long trips. In other words, we drive it enough on the road that I'll instantly be able to tell if there is any adverse NVH from the JJ arms.

The nice thing about the JJ arms is that it will compliment all of the other Currie parts on my Rubicon.

Are these Rear Upper Control Arms stock? 1998 TJ
Rear upper control arms.jpg