Best aftermarket axle companies?

Orobertsimons

I'm looking to upgrade my axles and can't seem to get clear answers. every company, of course, claims theirs are the best. what is a good brand that's not $10,000.00 per axle?
I have a Ford 8.8 in the rear with a Detroit Locker that I absolutely hate! and model 30 in front w/ an ARB.
I'm leaning toward built 44's with ARB's in both.
I'm running 35" tires but want to go 37 next. Should I go bigger than 44's? It's not too much more for a built 60 but one of the things I don't like about the 8.8 is the huge pumpkin/ anchor.
Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Thanks

Dynatrac, Currie, and Crane are three of the top brands that build complete aftermarket housings.
Dynatracs Pro Rock housings have great ground clearance and are 100% made in the USA. Their Pro Rock 60 has more ground clearance than a Dana/Spicer OEM Dana 44.
Currie Rock Jock centers re cast in China or overseas, if that matters to you. their rotated high pinion housings are great for low CG builds. I'm looking at getting one of their Rock Jock 70's for a rear axle in my YJ.
Crane builds all their stuff in the USA, pretty sure they have all their casting work done by Branik Motorsports. All they support housing wise is 14 bolts.

If you didn't have a tight budget and ground clearance was an issue, Spidertrax Axles have 5+- inches of ground clearance at 15 degrees of pinion angle, which is comparable to a Dana 35. They are the lightest axles that can be had to support the most demanding horsepower and tire size.

But finding an axle that supports 37's on a budget? Good luck. Lead times are crazy right now too.

You will want something a little wider in the WMS measurement.

Last edited:
Gosh there are a lot of options and they're all expensive!! I've been window shopping for 2 years and there's not one that stands out IMO, at least from $/capability. The thing that i'm interested in for the next level axles above 44s is high gear ratio > 5.38 and high pinion front and rear. This is to allow the 42RLE + 37s to be bareable without an engine swap. The two options there seem to fabricated axles or DSTRAC Dana 70 capable center sections. With a fab housing gearworks third member you can go to 6.20 ratio!

Fusion - use new Dana 60 centers and make their own kingpin knuckles they also make their own third member now. I'm actually interested in their fabricate axles most to get axle ratio over 6 would be RAD for making my Overdrive act like an actual gear on teh highway. Fusion finally started a 44 housing option also. I've ordered their aluminum steering for my jk44 and they were good to work with.
Carbon - uses rockjock housing. If i was going 5.38 ratio the currie housing is what I'd run. You can get high or low pinion rear too.
G2 - their crate JK axle is probably the best bang for buck (on the rear at least) the front is still cost of a kidney.
ECGS - I got my JK44s from them. They were a little sloppy in their attention to details but gave a HELL of a warranty and no questions asked got me a new gearset installed when my pinion bearing got smoked. They now make a rear fabricated housing for semis reasonable price.
Dynatrac - seems top notch but everything is proprietary, not even sure who's C/knuckle they use if thats standard or not.
Currie - def a big fan of currie. They use 99-04 ford parts for 60s and they make a JK rubi housing. As the proprietor of the rockjock housing got to give them credit and at least get a quote from them.
DSTRAC - new to USA brand with presence on social media. THey are from brazil and make almost everything in house supposedly. Good prices compared to the big US suppliers. Haven't heard anything negative. They use Dana 70 gearsets so you can go at least lik 5.83 or something on ratio.

I think thats all the big players??

Another company worth mentioning is East Coast Gear Supply. They can build a Dana 44 or Dana 489 or a 60 as mild or as wild as you want.

I have nothing but good things to say having worked with them more than a few times.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRE3TOP
Dynatrac and Currie are two of the top brands that build complete aftermarket housings.
Dynatracs Pro Rock housings have great ground clearance and are 100% made in the USA. Their Pro Rock 60 has more ground clearance than a Dana/Spicer OEM Dana 44.
Currie Rock Jock centers re cast in China or overseas, if that matters to you. their rotated high pinion housings are great for low CG builds. I'm looking at getting one of their Rock Jock 70's for a rear axle in my YJ.

If you didn't have a tight budget and ground clearance was an issue, Spidertrax Axles have 5+- inches of ground clearance at 15 degrees of pinion angle, which is comparable to a Dana 35. They are the lightest axles that can be had to support the most demanding horsepower and tire size.

But finding an axle that supports 37's on a budget? good luck. Lead times are crazy right now too.

You will want something a little wider in the WMS measurement.
Do you know anyone that has run one of these:
https://www.jegs.com/i/Trail+Gear/5...MIwK_cgri-9gIVxBd9Ch1uuQoxEAQYAiABEgICBfD_BwE
Does it fit a gearworks third member?
WHos third member did you use on your spider axle?

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Curries are sweet, they’re also high as giraffe pussy. If I were buying axles they would most likely be from ECGS.

• Haha
Reactions: suicideking
Reactions: B00mb00m
If I get another TJ/LJ, my first swap is a gonna be a trail gear 9 in the rear. I don't personally know anyone who runs one, but I want one.

The rock assault 9 is machined to accommodate a 9' or 10' gear. So yes, a GearWorks third would fit without issue.
The trail 9 is the direction im leaning for a front axle build. I already have Currie 60 outers I think it would make a pretty rad LJ axle.

The best ? Aint those 4400 KOH buggies using Spidertrax axles ?

I'm looking to upgrade my axles and can't seem to get clear answers. every company, of course, claims theirs are the best. what is a good brand that's not $10,000.00 per axle?
I have a Ford 8.8 in the rear with a Detroit Locker that I absolutely hate! and model 30 in front w/ an ARB.
I'm leaning toward built 44's with ARB's in both.
I'm running 35" tires but want to go 37 next. Should I go bigger than 44's? It's not too much more for a built 60 but one of the things I don't like about the 8.8 is the huge pumpkin/ anchor.
Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Thanks

OK, I went back to reread your post before I hit send. Disregard.
200.gif

Aint those 4400 KOH buggies using Spidertrax axles

Sure is, their strength to weight ratio is kind of hard to ignore. A few rock bouncers guys are using their 4 inch stuff too, as they are prob the hardest on them. More than a handful of rec wheelers are using them. But they are pretty rare IMO.

• Love
Reactions: RINC
Sure is, their strength to weight ratio is kind of hard to ignore. A few rock bouncers guys are using their 4 inch stuff too, as they are prob the hardest on them. More than a handful of rec wheelers are using them. But they are pretty rare IMO.

LOL. I just noticed the link in your signature.