Best aftermarket axle companies?

After much back and forth the fabricated axle will be my future 60 axle build. Just ordered a trail gear rock assault 9 housing to build my future front axle with. They dropped their prices surprisingly. Got 3” x 3/8” tubes for $800 shipped from Jegs.

It looks like the perfect 37s axle, it’s not as common as a Dana, looks racery, and can be bought in bits and built at home.

If I ever get to a point where a new rear is needed, building a 9" is at the top of my list. It's nice to see this housig option available!

• USA Proud
Reactions: Wildman and RINC
That’s a great price, I just checked and their website has them for $900 before shipping.

Those are just a few points that drove me to my Spidertrax axles.
For some reason trail-gear keeps the price high on their site, but allows for lower from distributors even though it still ships from TG.

Jegs has list price now at $774, $20 over size charge, free ship, and -$50 for recurring coupon. The other nice part is that $800 includes 2x of the inner axle seals.

What can you offer for guidance on third members? Does anyone still use High-9? Seems like the 10" option from Gear works pretty much makes the gear set invincible (hold my beer). Seems like all the high pinions are going to be $4K ish.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
For some reason trail-gear keeps the price high on their site, but allows for lower from distributors even though it still ships from TG.

Jegs has list price now at $774, $20 over size charge, free ship, and -$50 for recurring coupon. The other nice part is that $800 includes 2x of the inner axle seals.

What can you offer for guidance on third members? Does anyone still use High-9? Seems like the 10" option from Gear works pretty much makes the gear set invincible (hold my beer). Seems like all the high pinions are going to be $4K ish.

here's the 1 i mentioned.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4890425714396098/?ref=saved&referral_code=null

Says the ad doesnt exist anymore. Just showed up today. Now how does one go about pressing on Cs? Though it’s a long way off for me, time wise.

0BAC326C-FF8D-4B17-9C3E-069D10E14A58.jpeg

Last edited:
still comes up from my end. that's in the "rock crawler flea market" page it's a private group that just does 4x4 parts and pieces, lots of cool stuff. it's free to join but you have to send a request.

says the HP runs 8.8 gears

hi 9.PNG

I installed an UD44 spicer in my girls jeep last year with a factory e locker. Solid unit Mae by spicer. If mine 44 blows that’s my go too.

still comes up from my end. that's in the "rock crawler flea market" page it's a private group that just does 4x4 parts and pieces, lots of cool stuff. it's free to join but you have to send a request.

says the HP runs 8.8 gears

View attachment 350290

Rehehehehaaaaally…. This is exactly what I’m looking for (I think).

Oh yea the true hi9 is still around but I know getting them shipped is taking longer than normal.

I went with GearWorks high pinion thirds but have put the build on hold while I focus on work.

GearWorks seems to be the go-to for all the KoH rigs/teams.

Although….a somewhat newcomer joined the party and had been making a pretty big impact in the ultra4/offroad racing world.
TUBEWORKS has a billet machined third member that is STOUT. They can be had in high or low pinion and run a true 10 inch gear.

The winner of last years KoH ran TubeWorks high pinion thirds front and rear and beat them to death, taking the win and the top spot at KOH.

Ken Block’s trophy truck runs them, along with a handful of other baja teams who’s won with them under their rigs. Tim Cameron runs them in his current 4” Spidertrax axles under his rock bouncer.

473A6B1C-7447-4571-99B6-09AD993C6CFF.jpeg

Using the third member stuff allows for US made gears which adds to the quality and life of the gears IMO.

If I ever get to a point where a new rear is needed, building a 9" is at the top of my list. It's nice to see this housig option available!

It’s what I would run for a small tire build all the way up to a big tire. They are dead simple and can be built any number of ways.

Plus they are light as hell and offer more ground clearance than a Dana 44.
At 15° of pinion angle, the Spider 9 measures 5” from axle center tube to lowest hanging portion of the diff.

i think what i gather for replacement C's is they are basically a tight slip on fit onto the tube and the socket is supposed to true it. IDK how pressed on would work having to be pushed perfect and then not easily movable for adjustment to match the other.

i thought SpiderT also makes those rear unit bearing cups and those fit similar, the cup is machined to true everything up once fit to a good tube with a proper square cut end.

Last edited:
i think what i gather for replacement C's is they are basically a tight slip on fit onto the tube and the socket is supposed to true it. IDK how pressed on would work having to be pushed perfect and then not easily movable for adjustment to match the other.

i thought SpiderT also makes those rear unit bearing cups and those fit similar, the cup is machined to true everything up once fit to a good tube with a proper square cut end.

Depends on the inner knuckle but most are designed to be pressed and designed to be pressed with a specific machined tolerance between the tube OD and the inner knuckle ID.

Heat allows you move them around to exact spec degree.

Spidertrax unit bearing full floater cups are designed to be pressed onto the tube and then welded.

Oh yea the true hi9 is still around but I know getting them shipped is taking longer than normal.

I went with GearWorks high pinion thirds but have put the build on hold while I focus on work.

GearWorks seems to be the go-to for all the KoH rigs/teams.

Although….a somewhat newcomer joined the party and had been making a pretty big impact in the ultra4/offroad racing world.
TUBEWORKS has a billet machined third member that is STOUT. They can be had in high or low pinion and run a true 10 inch gear.

The winner of last years KoH ran TubeWorks high pinion thirds front and rear and beat them to death, taking the win and the top spot at KOH.

Ken Block’s trophy truck runs them, along with a handful of other baja teams who’s won with them under their rigs. Tim Cameron runs them in his current 4” Spidertrax axles under his rock bouncer.

View attachment 350329

Using the third member stuff allows for US made gears which adds to the quality and life of the gears IMO.

Probably more third member than I need for a trail gear housing, but damn that is a nice piece of kit.

Quick Performance for a 9 inch rear

Light and strong

20220812_154106.jpg

20220812_154116.jpg

20220812_154139.jpg

Yeah its sitting in the great room .......

If you have a 10 inch third member hope you pushing over 800 hp

Theres not many options for the high pinion, doesn’t seem wildly more costly to from a 9 to a 10 there. I don’t think gear works even sells a 9.

Theres not many options for the high pinion, doesn’t seem wildly more costly to from a 9 to a 10 there. I don’t think gear works even sells a 9.
I talked to them before i got my center section . Since I want to drive mine all over I went low pinion in the rear for reliablity. Anyone running a High pinion ( inch I highly recommend doing your homework if you are going to drive the jeep alot on the road at highway speeds. I didnt not want to have any issues if I was 1500 miles from the house and only in the jeep.

I talked to them before i got my center section . Since I want to drive mine all over I went low pinion in the rear for reliablity. Anyone running a High pinion ( inch I highly recommend doing your homework if you are going to drive the jeep alot on the road at highway speeds. I didnt not want to have any issues if I was 1500 miles from the house and only in the jeep.

Lots of guys run the fab 9’s with high pinions in the rear.

I’m sure lots of guys have no issues and I’m sure lots of guys have lots of issues.

With a gear mesh that’s right and a good pinion support setup, you wont have any issues. Again, there are plenty of guys in KOH running 800hp and beating on their rigs with a high pinion rear.

The ultimate adventure camp Jeep ran a high pinion gear works/spider 9 in the rear and never had had any issues with it. Thousands of street and highway miles.

But I get it, running a pinion high in the rear is a bigger risk.

Reactions: Wildman

And I’m pretty sure a low pinion 9 is still out of the rocks more than a 44, 60, or 14 rear.