Best aftermarket radiator now that OEM are all gone (2004 4.0)

I verified the auto trans radiator would work in a manual transmission equipped rig prior to suggesting the OEM radiator from wermopar. Didn’t want to contribute to you buying the wrong part.

im sure itll fit. im curious if there is a chance that the unused connections for the auto trans will leak.

gotcha. makes sense now that i think about it. silly question but can the unused auto cooling circuit be adapted to be a power steering cooler?

I can't see why you couldn't but I'd wait for a more knowledgeable member to chime in on that.

Wermopar has one available for your 2004 rig for $366.
Knowing Wermopar it'll likely say it's out of stock if you dig a little deeper. Everything I have looked up there for my TJ in the last several years showed in stock until I dug deeper or tried to order it.

any increased potential for leaks due to unused fittings?
Not in the least, the transmission cooler and radiator are completely separate from each other. You can cap or leave the cooler fittings open. An unused transmission cooler could be used for something else like a power steering cooler.

I have a theory (obviously no hard evidence to support it though) that the biggest reason that the aftermarket “performance” radiators fail is not because of coolant pressures or temperatures, but more simply just flex in the body.

If you look at the radiator and the A/C condenser, they have very different mounting systems. The A/C condenser is mounted with the use of rubber isolation mounts which allow a small amount of movement between the grille and the condenser. However, the radiator is directly bolted to the grille.

The OEM radiator is probably designed for a certain amount of flex, or at least happened to pass testing. The aftermarket designers may not be aware of this, and simply adapted their other (otherwise successful) designs to the TJ.

If this is true, I would suspect that adding flexible mounts to an aftermarket radiator would significantly increase the lifespan of that radiator.

Another (similar) idea could be that the aftermarket radiators do not have adequate flexibility to accommodate the thermal expansion and contraction from routine use, and simply develop cracks and eventually fail instead. Essentially, as the radiator heats up, it expands, but the grille it is bolted to is the same size. Thus, the two end up imparting a lot of stress on one another, and the radiator, being made in part or wholly with aluminum, fatigues and eventually pops.

If I had to choose an aftermarket radiator, I actually would try one of the name brands like Mishimoto. But I would 3D print some flexible rubber mounts rather than mount it using the OEM bolts. More generally, I would make sure that it is free to flex in any direction, be it caused by thermal expansion, body flex, or even just vibration.

Not in the least, the transmission cooler and radiator are completely separate from each other. You can cap or leave the cooler fittings open. An unused transmission cooler could be used for something else like a power steering cooler.

Awesome. Sounds good. it seems a no brainer to try making use of an unused system

Last edited:
Awesome. Sounds good. it seems a no brainer to try making use of an unused system

Don’t forget that the heat exchanger also acts a heater. So it will heat whatever fluid moving through it to the coolant temperature, which might be a bit higher than ideal for a power steering system.

Overlanders often use it as a domestic water heater.

Don’t forget that the heat exchanger also acts a heater. So it will heat whatever fluid moving through it to the coolant temperature, which might be a bit higher than ideal for a power steering system.

Overlanders often use it as a domestic water heater.

That kinda makes sense. Normally atf would be hotter than the coolant temp so running it through the radiator would cool it but power steering fluid ( which is still atf in this case) might not be that hot so the radiator could end up making it hotter?

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
I have a theory (obviously no hard evidence to support it though) that the biggest reason that the aftermarket “performance” radiators fail is not because of coolant pressures or temperatures, but more simply just flex in the body.

If you look at the radiator and the A/C condenser, they have very different mounting systems. The A/C condenser is mounted with the use of rubber isolation mounts which allow a small amount of movement between the grille and the condenser. However, the radiator is directly bolted to the grille.

The OEM radiator is probably designed for a certain amount of flex, or at least happened to pass testing. The aftermarket designers may not be aware of this, and simply adapted their other (otherwise successful) designs to the TJ.

If this is true, I would suspect that adding flexible mounts to an aftermarket radiator would significantly increase the lifespan of that radiator.

Another (similar) idea could be that the aftermarket radiators do not have adequate flexibility to accommodate the thermal expansion and contraction from routine use, and simply develop cracks and eventually fail instead. Essentially, as the radiator heats up, it expands, but the grille it is bolted to is the same size. Thus, the two end up imparting a lot of stress on one another, and the radiator, being made in part or wholly with aluminum, fatigues and eventually pops.

If I had to choose an aftermarket radiator, I actually would try one of the name brands like Mishimoto. But I would 3D print some flexible rubber mounts rather than mount it using the OEM bolts. More generally, I would make sure that it is free to flex in any direction, be it caused by thermal expansion, body flex, or even just vibration.

Mishimoto did actually address the hard mounts a while back and they now have rubber isolated bolt sleeves, I'll be 8 years on my Mishimoto next month with the original hard mount.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Mishimoto did actually address the hard mounts a while back and they now have rubber isolated bolt sleeves, I'll be 8 years on my Mishimoto next month with the original hard mount.

Interesting…

Might actually be worth a try then. I’d be curious to see how well they are isolated.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Knowing Wermopar it'll likely say it's out of stock if you dig a little deeper. Everything I have looked up there for my TJ in the last several years showed in stock until I dug deeper or tried to order it.

Well i guess this was not the case because it is now sitting in my living room. Also have a oem thermostat and fan clutch from them on the way said they were in stock and shipped this morning

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford

Where did you buy it? How many rows? How much?