Best Android GPS software for off-road use that does not need WiFi or cell service?

I'm a bit new to this area overall, but I will add that I found Avenza to be pretty awesome. The DNR here in Minnesota actually recommends it on its pages that list trails while also providing a download for the trial maps themselves.

Admittedly, I used this on my iPhone, but I would imagine that the Android equivalent should be pretty similar.

I do a lot of route finding and navigation on my mountain bike, and looked at using Avenza for off-road navigation with the Jeep. I didn't like that it doesn't have very good support for GPS file import/export.

So far, I like ViewRanger better. The map coverage seemed to be pretty good, and it seems to do better with data capture and import/export. That's important if you like to download GPX or KML files from sites like Trails Offroad, share routes with friends, or plan your own routes.

Seems like a few people like Gaia, and I haven't spent much time with it yet. I'll have to take a look to see if I like it better.

I am having a tough time finding an app with maps that I want. Maybe it's different for different regions, but so far each map only has half of what I want. They either have roads, half of the maps, or the other half of the maps. Aside from finding GPX files for the areas (and unless I'm already familiar I don't know if they're complete) and loading them in it just doesn't seem "plug and play".

I'd like to have good navigation because some places near my have the worst maps you've ever dealt with.

For example, here is a map that is provided by a visitor center: http://www.papinsresort.com/images/motomap.pdf

Now, compare it to this map which shows how the previous map has way too little data and the lines are nowhere near accurate: http://www.trxtrailhead.com/@46.010555,-83.753242,12 Having "too much" data in this case can be nice since there's so many turns that end up bringing you in the wrong direction.

The Magellan unit (above link maps) looks like it already combines all of the maps from good sources (it might include a little too much since it shows snowmobile trails which are typically closed in the summer). It also fills in other areas such as CO, Moab, and Johnson Valley which would be nice to have so I could view a general map of the trail and how it connects. What I don't want is to have another thing mounted in my Jeep if I could use an Android double din unit instead.

Has anyone found a mapping app as good as Magellan? Does anyone have the Magellan units? Are they that good?

Buy another GPS. I have had my Montana for 6 years. In that same time period I have had 3 phones and 2 tablets. FWIW, I have a Tab A too. I carry it for entertainment. I have been unwilling to spend money on a GPS app, especially since many of them are by subscription now. I have a free version of Locus on my Tab A. The maps are very good. The route/trails I load as needed.

Reactions: astjp2
I haven't traveling off-road besides the family farm for awhile, but while I'm trying to find the time, I've been reading up on this stuff a bit. I've got some sort of Samsung 10" tablet. I have Backcountry Navigator Pro and I'll probably be adding Gaia (not sure how to spell it). I've run into many that run multiple systems to fine tune their needs. Some explore at home with one and on the trail with another one for example. There may be some details of why that I'm not aware of. I'm not exactly sure how much regional stuff matters either.

Most of the trails I do are on foot and I've typically been lucky to find someone sharing tracks, so I'm excited to learn something new and maybe I'll be able to return the favor. I did try to use Backcountry Nav to help with a family member's dispute on a property line on their farm and it was hard to use compared to what I was used to from Garmin devices.

I am having a tough time finding an app with maps that I want. Maybe it's different for different regions, but so far each map only has half of what I want. They either have roads, half of the maps, or the other half of the maps. Aside from finding GPX files for the areas (and unless I'm already familiar I don't know if they're complete) and loading them in it just doesn't seem "plug and play".

For all the trip planning, route finding, and navigation I've done, I don't think I've ever seen a perfect solution.

The closest might be the Ordnance Survey maps in the UK, which have amazing levels of detail. Even then, just because there's a trail on the map doesn't mean there's a trail on the ground. And there are lots of trails on the ground that are not on the maps.

For places I'm not familiar with, I use a combination of official maps, published GPS tracks, which are usually something someone recorded, and satellite imagery. And then I spend a lot of time editing and merging tracks in Google Earth, Garmin MapSource, and other GPS editors and tools.

Even then, there's no substitute for good orienteering skills so you can figure out where you are and where you want to get to.

If the maps for your area aren't so good, keep searching. Maybe Magellan has some good data for your area. I took a quick look at what they have around San Diego, and they're missing a lot of trails around Corral Canyon, Anza Borrego, and a couple other key off-road spots. But that doesn't mean their data isn't good for you.

This is such a fascinating subject imo. I feel like a Toby Keith song when it comes to maps about being good at something years ago.

I like the idea of exploring and love running long distance in remote areas when possible. So the idea of driving out into remote areas and then running to a cool place to explore seems like a lot of fun to me, but man the mapping sounds rather difficult from going highways, old roads, trails that may or may not be there/closed, and then going to handheld for finishing up on foot, but hopefully returning with enough daylight to get into a nice place to camp for the night.

When I used to climb a lot we had to find places based on verbal or written descriptions and that could certainly turn into a PITA, but typically just meant fighting local fauna with a heavy pack up steep terrain or river crossings. Looking back not finding a place was still pretty cool, but when you were trying to check off stuff on lists it seemed like a waste.

Looking back not finding a place was still pretty cool, but when you were trying to check off stuff on lists it seemed like a waste.

So is finding new trails that lead you in circles and keep turning around every time you hit another highway.

The apps that I found that have the best base maps available offline that allow for GPX overlay seem to be subscription based. I'd rather not have another subscription to pay for if it's not great and I have to do the work of finding the GPX maps myself. Magellan seems to offer the most complete ORV trail database so far.

Reactions: MikeM
So is finding new trails that lead you in circles and keep turning around every time you hit another highway.

The apps that I found that have the best base maps available offline that allow for GPX overlay seem to be subscription based. I'd rather not have another subscription to pay for if it's not great and I have to do the work of finding the GPX maps myself. Magellan seems to offer the most complete ORV trail database so far.
One thing about the GPX viewer Pro for the Android is a one time reasonable fee and it includes all states here and other countries for a total off line map setup. Yes you need to down load them and then you get free updates in your one time fee for the app. You can also use online maps for a specific area if you prefer. I have used the maps in 7 states with no issues but as you said above areas change bridges wash out landslides and closures will be there no matter what you use. So far every GPX I have downloaded from Trails off road have been spot on with the maps provided Good luck!

Last edited:
Which Samsung Tab A devices would be a good fit for this? And what mount?

It seems like Gias or however you spell it. Is the go to app. Although none are perfect. I used to be way into gps. Developing trackers and having them built overseas. But today I want to go plug and play as much as possible. I have a Garmin Etrex 20. And the screen size is ridiculous. I also have an old Samsung tablet that I've played with before. But am not up on the current models. Or better yet one from a year or two ago. That would work great for this application. Something in the sub $100 range. And a good mount that is solid. Is an essential. Any advice greatly appreciated.

The worst issue I have with my Garmin Montana is that every action is via touch screen. This isn't so bad in a car, but it is tough on a motorcycle. Garmin address this if you go upscale to their 276CX model. These have a 5" screen and buttons on the side to operate the GPS. The screen on the 276 models does NOT washout in sunlight. I expect that by the time you buy a @76, a mount, and maps, you will have spend near $800. It's a great GPS. https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/Ca...9G_lyExmeIgeTGDTA4vqKUp_ezYXJuuEaAhSaEALw_wcB

I installed a 120gb SD card with my phone specifically to support maps for BackCountry Navigator Pro. I've got most of Eastern NC downloaded onto my phone in about 8 different formats depending on what I'm doing that particular day.

I haven't figured out how to get the compass to display proper heading yet but my phone is an old s7 edge so I assume the problem is internal and not software. I've got a backup GPS and paper maps/handheld compass if I really need it anyway so it's never been a concern of mine.

Most of the local club I go wheeling with uses the same software and getting trails from them made it worth it for me.

Reactions: MikeM
I use OsmAnd for Android. It is free and by default uses open street maps. You can download entire states for use offline. The maps can be checked online here to see if the trails you want are available in the basic sets:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/

You can edit and add things to open street maps so others can use your trail maps. You don't have to beg some stupid corporation to update their maps. For example, somebody local to me mapped out the high tension lines, don't know why but it's fun to see where they go.

If you hike or backpack there is a topo plugin that uses usgs data. If you download using F-Droid or the free open source software library that is free as well.

OsmAnd also supports allot of different internet mapping services using tiles or vector data so you can use multiple transparent layers to show things like the real USGS maps if you want. They are free too. You can also save anything you view for use offline.

It supports GPX files so you can download a huge route like the Old Mojave Road and navigate with it or just about any other collection of waypoints or routes.

It is really powerful but it isn't tap tap easy to learn. You can't just hop in a jet and takeoff right?

Reactions: andy29847 and MikeM