Best Bikini / Safari Top?

I too have the clamp on header ans never a any issues with it. The only problem I had withthe Safair top I have is the plastic buckles in the tensioning straps on the back. The first time I used it one snapped. Not sure if it's Rugged ridge or Smitty, just hated that hey used plastic buckles.

I have a Bestop bolt on OEM style header safari top for my Unlimited. I found that the trick to installing it on the header easily is to loosely install the entire top where it goes (roll bar straps and the long strap that goes around the sound bar and footmans loop but leave the velcro straps near the windhield/rool bar area unhooked until everything else is done). If you get the tension right on that long strap through the footmans loop, you can pull that welting on the front edge of the top and hook it in the header bar easily without it wanting to fall out. After it's in place and centered where you want it, tighten all the other straps up and then hook the velcro straps up. I've used it for 3 summers/falls (This year will be the 4th) and it's never come loose from the header. This is if you're using the door surrounds, which I do. If you don't, the Bestop kit had a flap that wraps around the whole roll bar over the door.

I do like that the drill style can stay on even under a soft or hard top like @Jerry Bransford stated. That would be a big plus.

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

I haven't had windows on the soft top in over a year (windows & doors are in a different state).

I realized that I prefer my soft-top up more than only a sunshade (so I removed it).

There's less water intrusion when I drive in the rain, more protection from the AZ sun, and I can drop the top if I want to see the stars at night. I didn't plan this ahead of time, but I've been pretty happy.

Will the clamp on header for a soft top work for the bikini top?

My soft top is trash but I could use the header for a new bikini top if it fit and save some $$.

I really like the Trektop NX for this reason.... I know it's not what you folks are talking about, it's a full top, but I love running it windowless with the ability to pop the windows on real quick if the weather gets nasty.

view

Also run the Trektop NX with Spider webshade underneath so I can open up the sun rider or pop the whole top off if desired.

1685019254852.jpeg

Will the clamp on header for a soft top work for the bikini top?

My soft top is trash but I could use the header for a new bikini top if it fit and save some $$.

No. The header for the bolt on bikini/safari top has a channel on it that a piece of plastic on the leading edge of the fabric top slides into.

The clamp on ones don’t have that channel. At least none I’ve ever seen.

I’ve always wondered why Bestop didn’t make a clamp on header with the channel for the fabric instead on the bolt in version. Maybe the clamp on one wouldn’t be as tight and secure with just a bikini/safari top? 🤷🏻‍♂️