Best Diesel Swap?

CB72

I have a 2002 tj with the manual 5 speed and I am interested in diesel swapping it. I have very limited knowledge on what is the best swap for daily driving and would love some help on figuring it out. I have been looking at the VW 2.0 TDI swap, but I am open to anything that is going to be better/easier to work with for a daily driver.

I have been wanting to do an 0M606, or maybe a 617, but I’m partial to the 606, seems better than the VW options to me if maybe a touch more expensive.

I have been wanting to do an 0M606, or maybe a 617, but I’m partial to the 606, seems better than the VW options to me if maybe a touch more expensive.

from what I've found it seems like the TDI isn't the best diesel systems. I will have to look into the 0M606. I don't plan on doing anything extreme in the jeep which is why I considered the TDI in the first place. I already have the 4.0 inline six so it might be better to try to squeeze more power out of that.

from what I've found it seems like the TDI isn't the best diesel systems. I will have to look into the 0M606. I don't plan on doing anything extreme in the jeep which is why I considered the TDI in the first place. I already have the 4.0 inline six so it might be better to try to squeeze more power out of that.

I like the 606 cause it has a similar footprint to the 4.0, weighs less, has proven reliability and simplicity, similar redline, the exhaust and intake are on the correct side for the jeep chassis, fuel economy is good, if not excellent. Did I mention its all mechanical, so there's no making another ECU play nice with the jeep PCM. The list goes on and on and with a mild build they are more than capable of putting out more power than the jeep could ever want. Just my opinion I would much rather have an engine lazily making 400 horse and 500 lb-ft than I would build out a TDI that stresses expensive components just to make similar numbers. Just my 2 cents though. you can look at diesel pump UK for some interesting videos, wrong side of the pond for us though :(

From what I've heard - and from what I can see on mine for that matter - an OM617 swap is possible - but a real bitch due to the oil pan layout. *shrug* Dunno about a 606...