Best / easiest engine swap for 97 TJ 2.5

I'm in South Carolina, but I hope you post your progress here so I can link it on the stock SE thread in my signature line.

Hi. Looking for someone in northern cal to
complete engine and tranny swap in my sons 97’ tj. 2.5; T15. Both have been pulled already
Thanks

It's possible, it will require fab-work and money, not sure it's cheaper to sell and buy a new one with prices the way they are right now but it's worth taking stock of how much work you are willing to put into it and how much downtime you are willing to deal with.

I came across the same issue, I bought my 2.5 for very cheap with a shot motor and couldn't say no. I read up on the fact the 4 cyl uses a slightly different chassis with control arms/motor mounts integrated and how it would require moving the motor mounts and welding if I wanted to do otherwise. I decided to fix the 4 that was in it since it was my first jeep and I didn't even know if I wanted to own one long-term, so deferred my swap dreams until I had a lot more money in the bank, time, and decided whether I wanted to keep my tj.

Reactions: tr21triton
You’re better off selling it and buying a TJ with a 4.0 if you’re looking for more power.
best put a 5.9 cummins in it ! cheapest put another 2.5 in it ! smartest do what chris said and buy a 4.0 unless you have really deeeep pockets !!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Not sure on CA legalities, but if you care about the factory gauges I think a Magnum swap is the go to for people with I6s. I don't know what complications you would run into going from a 4 popper. Regardless, I'm sure you already know you'll need new engine mounts welded on to the frame regardless of the motor you choose.

How about a 230ci 4 cylinder?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-elusive-224-3-7-mercruiser-banger.256713/
Big Block 4.JPG

http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php?threads/133685/
Depending on your location once the Jeep has been transfered into your name it will be smog exempt and not need another smog check.

Last edited:
Cheapest? new/reman 2.5. Best? Haha

Everybody is basically right, if you are looking for just a little more hp, use the money you would for a swap, sell the 2.5 jeep, and go buy a 4.0 Jeep.

I've been researching options for a while now, as my high mileage 2.5 and ax5 probably aren't long for this world. Once you make the decision to swap, then deciding on what is a PITA. Easiest seems to be the Magnum V8s (5.2, 5.9) since the electronics can talk. Once you get past that, though, world opens up. The mid 00s is when the hp really started taking off. Chrysler Hemis are a nice option. Chevy/GM gen3 and gen4 V8s are super easy to find. Somebody somewhere has attempted just about everything. It's only time and money at that point though (ask me how I got off in a ditch looking at Mercedes diesels, ha). Keep in mind though, at this point, you gotta start looking at the rest of drivetrain. Gonna need new mounts, new shafts, etc... My early pricing seems to be around $5-6k if you can do the work yourself, $10k+ if you're paying someone else.

Emissions will be something to keep in mind too, as noted earlier. My state generally requires you to go "newer" for the swap, and you're still held to the standards the vehicle was originally released under until your 25 years old. I've got a few years left, myself. But CA is probably a lot stricter.

Either way, good luck and definitely post up what you do, I'm interested!