Best Generation of Wrangler?

NKlekas

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
It’s probably been talked about on here but my Jeep has been in the shop for over a week getting some mods installed and Im bored. With the JL’s having been out for a while now, there are plenty of new and old Jeeps on the road today. And was wondering…

(obviously the TJ is the best) But what’s everyone’s opinion on the generation of Jeep? Im probably like most people but I seem to like every other.

CJ’s are classics and great. (I know it’s not a Wrangler) I could care less for YJ’s (I don’t mind their interior) TJ’s are the GOAT. JK’s suck. Especially the 07-11. However, later models are fine with the 3.6. And I actually like the JL’s. And Gladiators for that matter. Not as much as the Wrangler but my father in-law has one. I’ve driven it a bunch and I’m impressed. Like I said. I like every other generation and after driving the JL model I could see myself driving one.

Anyway, I was curious to see what you other TJ Enthusiasts had to say about Wrangler Generations.

Reactions: AaronPaul
OP: Asks which Jeep is best on a TJ forum and expects a reasonable answer. LOL.

Jokes aside tho, IMHO there really is no best jeep, but there hasn't really been a "bad" generation of the Wrangler either (except maybe the 3.8L JKs). Every generation has its own benefits and drawbacks.

For best DD comfort and MPGs, a 2.0T JLU is hands down the winner.
If you wanna be the coolest guy on the trail, it doesn't get much better than a CJ.

My opinion? The best "not too hot, not too cold" for most people is the TJ/LJ and.... 3.6L JK. Your personal preferences and what you're used to driving will dictate whether TJ or JK. Anything before that, you gotta deal with carbs, leaf sprung ride and etc. Anything after is just too full of electronic nannies for my taste.

Disclaimer: Am currently the owner of a JKUR, and have a JLU and JTR in the family. But planning to dump the JK and get myself an LJR this year!

OP: Asks which Jeep is best on a TJ forum and expects a reasonable answer. LOL.

Jokes aside tho, IMHO there really is no best jeep, but there hasn't really been a "bad" generation of the Wrangler either (except maybe the 3.8L JKs). Every generation has its own benefits and drawbacks.

For best DD comfort and MPGs, a 2.0T JLU is hands down the winner.
If you wanna be the coolest guy on the trail, it doesn't get much better than a CJ.

My opinion? The best "not too hot, not too cold" for most people is the TJ/LJ and.... 3.6L JK. Your personal preferences and what you're used to driving will dictate whether TJ or JK. Anything before that, you gotta deal with carbs, leaf sprung ride and etc. Anything after is just too full of electronic nannies for my taste.

Disclaimer: Am currently the owner of a JKUR, and have a JLU and JTR in the family. But planning to dump the JK and get myself an LJR this year!

I knew what I was getting myself into lol 😂

How do you JLU? I loved the one I drove.

I knew what I was getting myself into lol 😂

How do you JLU? I loved the one I drove.

The one we have is a Sahara 4XE, so a plug-in hybrid (mom's car). What can I say, stitched leather seats and 470 lb-ft of torque in a Jeep sure is nice. :ROFLMAO:
Super comfy on-road and pretty peppy when you step on the gas while getting nearly 30 MPG in a Jeep. As a daily driver, it's probably the best car we have in the household. From an off-road standpoint, I wouldn't take it on anything more than a gravel trail. The pretty paint-matched fenders, low-hanging side steps, and the low-profile tires on the factory 20" wheels are pretty much the antithesis of everything a Jeep should be. It's also being leased... having a first generation hybrid vehicle from Chrysler for more than 5 years is pretty scary in itself lmao.

Reactions: macleanflood
The LJ is the best for wheeling. Though the newest JL with 0 miles on the odometer is going to be the best for DD. The hemi and the diesel are the best engines, even though neither is going to be made anymore. The plugin/hybrid models are going to appeal to some.

I recently bought a near stock 04 Sahara TJ for a DD. A new JL might drive nicer, but save a lot of money if you can find a TJ with low miles. It may eventually go to one of my kids. When it's time to get a new DD, I will consider whatever the newest Wrangler is at the time. Just never plan on getting rid of my LJ for wheeling.

The Goat? I'll take my YJ over the TJ any day. To much plastic foo foo crap and factory quirks. But they both do have a purpose. Unlike the TJ, the Yj has been 100% reliable which is great because its used for search and rescue.

Last edited:
The ride of the TJ gives it the win over a YJ. However if I build another rig it will be a linked YJ. Folding windshield is a must for me. Times have been changing for a while now and just too much crap built into the 2000+ years of wrangler.

Four door rigs should have never got the wrangler name either……..🤯

The word best is like quality - it is pretty subjective-

I’ll throw in my personal view and some other thoughts-

The CJ is not a Wrangler and ended an era of the basic, utilitarian design of the Jeep that began in 1941. Only those of us that owned them may understand how no frills they were. It was loud, wet, cold and fun. They were exciting to get to ride in. You were sometimes thrilled to get in, and thrilled to get out later too.

The YJ is pretty important. Why? Because Jeep was dying, Lee Iococca paid $600 million for it and the YJ meant production of something akin to the original continued….and with its better top and door system it was a big step toward more interior comfort - you could actually heat the interior.

The TJ kept the classic look alive, which drew me in. The snag with the TJ is it is more complex, old enough to need all sorts of maintenance and you need to learn how it works and like to use tools if you can’t find or afford a knowledgeable shop. It is the first coil spring Wrangler and established that a better driving/riding and more comfortable Jeep would be better accepted. The TJ/LJ is the best for the guy that loved the CJ’s and wants to daily it or at least be comfortable all season. Of course it’s a proven warrior off road and the Rubicon model established that JEEP was still serious about off road capability. Selectable positive traction is awesome - and really my answer is the Rubicon is the best model, for any year Wrangler made. It has the best resale, is easier to sell, and potent off road even in stock trim. That said, any Wrangler can be transformed into what the owner wants, you guys are proof of that. If you don’t purchase/own a Rubicon, you can build the perfect beast with tons of aftermarket support.

Jump to 2012 and later- these are the best on the highway, can be formidable off road, but they are a bus (big) - and really need more power than a 3.6 to handle the tires they can run. They are handicapped by the engine like the TJ. The 2014-16 may be the best value and the later models just get nicer, more car like each year. SUV of the year for a decade speaks volumes. They may be the best for the non mechanically inclined and those that need the cargo and passenger space.

Last edited:
? :unsure:
YJ wide.jpg

The original that won WWII has to be the best, I mean…because!

CJ5 is the 2nd best, just the classic, and in my opinions the TJ is 3rd, and I own a TJ, and 08 JK and 81 CJ5 with a 78 304v8, and I love my TJ.
I’ve hunted Elk in Colorado all in YJ’s, they function great, great step, but the square (call me shallow) lights I just don't like.

Up until 2006 they were Jeeps, now they are massive Off Road SUV’s ha. Just anything before 2007 is a Jeep, after is a SUV blend

Last edited:
The word best is like quality - it is pretty subjective-

I’ll throw in my personal view and some other thoughts-

The CJ is not a Wrangler and ended an era of the basic, utilitarian design of the Jeep that began in 1941. Only those of us that owned them may understand how no frills they were. It was loud, wet, cold and fun. They were exciting to get to ride in. You were sometimes thrilled to get in, and thrilled to get out later too.

The YJ is pretty important. Why? Because Jeep was dying, Lee Iococca paid $600 million for it and the YJ meant production of something akin to the original continued….and with its better top and door system it was a big step toward more interior comfort - you could actually heat the interior.

The TJ kept the classic look alive, which drew me in. The snag with the TJ is it is more complex, old enough to need all sorts of maintenance and you need to learn how it works and like to use tools if you can’t find or afford a knowledgeable shop. It is the first coil spring Wrangler and established that a better driving/riding and more comfortable Jeep would be better accepted. The TJ/LJ is the best for the guy that loved the CJ’s and wants to daily it or at least be comfortable all season. Of course it’s a proven warrior off road and the Rubicon model established that JEEP was still serious about off road capability. Selectable positive traction is awesome - and really my answer is the Rubicon is the best model, for any year Wrangler made. It has the best resale, is easier to sell, and potent off road even in stock trim. That said, any Wrangler can be transformed into what the owner wants, you guys are proof of that. If you don’t purchase/own a Rubicon, you can build the perfect beast with tons of aftermarket support.

Jump to 2012 and later- these are the best on the highway, can be formidable off road, but they are a bus (big) - and really need more power than a 3.6 to handle the tires they can run. They are handicapped by the engine like the TJ. The 2014-16 may be the best value and the later models just get nicer, more car like each year. SUV of the year for a decade speaks volumes. They may be the best for the non mechanically inclined and those that need the cargo and passenger space.

Very true. I will give a hat tip to the YJ for the progress it made.

Reactions: AndyG
The ride of the TJ gives it the win over a YJ. However if I build another rig it will be a linked YJ. Folding windshield is a must for me. Times have been changing for a while now and just too much crap built into the 2000+ years of wrangler.

Four door rigs should have never got the wrangler name either……..🤯

If I ever were to win the lottery and could go all in on an insanely overbuilt crawler id use a YJ platform. Honestly just because lol

The Goat? I'll take my YJ over the TJ any day. To much plastic foo foo crap and factory quirks. But they both do have a purpose. Unlike the TJ, the Yj has been 100% reliable which is great because its used for search and rescue.

Damn, do you even like your TJ? lol. What year is your TJ? I've had 3 and all of them have been very reliable

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Damn, do you even like your TJ? lol. What year is your TJ? I've had 3 and all of them have been very reliable

The TJ engine and trans combo, U bet. The Yj has a 4 banger but it hauls my 250lb arse and S&R gear where It needs to go. Id take a carbed 327/NP435 or SM420 combo any day. KISS..keep it simple stupid is good.

Very true. I will give a hat tip to the YJ for the progress it made.

I had one and really liked it- And amazingly I ran into it about a year ago at an off-road shop.

It was an important step in the evolution of these.

I love my LJ, but if I could, I'd be very tempted to trade it for my old '83 Scrambler with the 4.2L and 5 speed manual (got totaled in '95). That Jeep was fun to drive. I have very little interest in anything newer than the TJ. The newer stuff is too complicated compared to TJ and earlier.