Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Best GRMS Radio?

SvtLdr

Search Engine Certified Mechanic
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've had good luck with the Baofeng UV-5R. It's decent quality for a handheld radio. If you shop around you can find them for $30.

Reactions: red02tj

tworley

garagequeen
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
The UV-5R was a good unit to use to get introduced to GRMS. However, I couldn't hear the thing and having to charge it was a pain. I went with a hardwired radioddity--though I dont have enough use with it yet to know if I like it or not.

Reactions: rasband

delikutflour

Supporting Member
I also just did a Midland MXT275. Mounted the bracket/guts down along the passenger side of the center console near the footwell. I also put a Nagoya UT-72G mag mount antenna on the drivers side hood/cowl area and ran the wire back through the firewall and reterminated the coax at the radio (had to cut the coax to get through the firewall).
Currently just using the cigarette lighter adapter to see how it works. So far so good, so will grab 12V somewhere under the dash and hardwire when I get a chance.
Also would like a better, more permanent surface mount of the antenna. Still thinking about options for that—not many flat less-instructed metal surfaces suitable for mounting in the TJ.
I still need to check the SWR of this setup. I was missing an adapter to check that but it just showed up this week.

Overall this setup worked well on a first test wheeling in a very hilly and woodsy area, communicating with a few Midland handhelds.

Reactions: DavidBT

DavidBT

Supporting Member
I also just did a Midland MXT275. Mounted the bracket/guts down along the passenger side of the center console near the footwell. I also put a Nagoya UT-72G mag mount antenna on the drivers side hood/cowl area and ran the wire back through the firewall and reterminated the coax at the radio (had to cut the coax to get through the firewall).
Currently just using the cigarette lighter adapter to see how it works. So far so good, so will grab 12V somewhere under the dash and hardwire when I get a chance.
Also would like a better, more permanent surface mount of the antenna. Still thinking about options for that—not many flat less-instructed metal surfaces suitable for mounting in the TJ.
I still need to check the SWR of this setup. I was missing an adapter to check that but it just showed up this week.

Overall this setup worked well on a first test wheeling in a very hilly and woodsy area, communicating with a few Midland handhelds.

I put mine on the driver side of the center console. I'm just going to use the original antenna for now and like you, I will be researching a better antenna and mounting.

Reactions: delikutflour

Superjay5

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I just recently got a rugged radio handheld. Before that I had a CB. It was fairly priced, think like 90 bucks shipped.

I got the handheld so I could have it in my tow rig when we have a few guys in a convoy for longer trips. Didn’t want a mounted radio in my truck.

Welp, liked it so much and its so much clearer than a CB that it made its way into the jeep also. We were at Windrock for a week and I never touched my CB.

The one pro I really like about a handheld is I can walk a trail if need be and give info back to the group.

The one negative is a few times after banging around on trails I thought I lost it, but found it floating around my jeep in some random place. Need to get a holder for it…

I don’t have a lot of experience with it, but that’s my take so far

RINC

Hell Yeah Brother! I Loves Me Some Arizona.
Supporting Member
A Sunny Place For Shady People. Laveen, AZ
I just recently got a rugged radio handheld. Before that I had a CB. It was fairly priced, think like 90 bucks shipped.

I got the handheld so I could have it in my tow rig when we have a few guys in a convoy for longer trips. Didn’t want a mounted radio in my truck.

Welp, liked it so much and its so much clearer than a CB that it made its way into the jeep also. We were at Windrock for a week and I never touched my CB.

The one pro I really like about a handheld is I can walk a trail if need be and give info back to the group.

The one negative is a few times after banging around on trails I thought I lost it, but found it floating around my jeep in some random place. Need to get a holder for it…

I don’t have a lot of experience with it, but that’s my take so far

10-fo driver. You got a full grown in the comedian at the 242 looking your way.

freedom_in_4low

Welcome to the Echo Chamber
Supporting Member
I'd like to do the mounted thing, even though I can understand the benefits of handhelds. My beef with handhelds is I lose them until right before a trip and end up having to buy another pair, and then I find the old ones later.

Apparition

TJFest June Edition 2023
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
FWIW, I have a "mounted" GMRS radio - and a couple of cheapie FRS walkie-talkies in the Jeep with it. Wife can go on walk about and stay in touch, spotters can use them, whatever. Best of both worlds.

I have a mounted rugged radio and two rugged handhelds that have worked well as loaners at TJFest. I don’t know what the best is.