Best GRMS Radio?

I just installed a Midland TX275 in TJR. Very simple radio. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Used the same and did a hidden mount and removable mic connector. Hope it helps to keep it from begin stolen when not in use

GMRS1.jpg

GMRS2.jpg

GMRS7.jpg

GMRS6.jpg

Just adding this one to the mix. I randomly found the early (ham) version of this radio and programed it for GMRS. Not the most powerful or even easiest to mess with through the handset, but the form factor is great and features (if you can figure out how to access them) are extensive. It's like a Chinese version of the Midland MXT-275 but the display doesn't suck. I installed is in my wife's van and it's very unobtrusive.

That's the one I just got for my tj and love it. Easy to program and works great. My only issue, and it's a small one, is its kind of a pain to adjust the volume with one hand. It's really a first world problem, bc it's not hard to do, just tedious.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
MIDLAND MXT500 or WOUXUN KG-1000G PLUS

I don't need the full capability of either one, but I live a "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" philosophy.

For someone who talked so much shit about Midland, NotaRubicon sure did get his pockets greased from Midland with his MXT500 review. He's even wearing a Midland shirt.

Maybe someday in the future I will use it more often than not.

Other radios I'm looking at Wouxun KG-XS20G plus, Radioddity DB25-G. Obviously cheaper radios but still has lots of functionality. These get good praise from NotaRubicon.

I want a base I can mount and hardwire and forget about it. Easy to use and I won't have to worry about quality or if it's going to work right or not.

Reactions: Zorba
Other radios I'm looking at Wouxun KG-XS20G plus, Radioddity DB25-G. Obviously cheaper radios but still has lots of functionality. These get good praise from NotaRubicon.

I want a base I can mount and hardwire and forget about it. Easy to use and I won't have to worry about quality or if it's going to work right or not.

I have the Radioddity DB20-G (no idea what the difference is) but so far I like it. Sound has been crisp and clear and the volume works really well that I can hear it on the highway. My only complaint is the handheld mike, I tend to change channels accidentally when putting it back on the mount after talking. Maybe that can be resolved by changing the way I hold it though...

The Arizona Rocky Road Mount works really well and keeps the radio high, which points the speaker down to you. I like it because it helps with hearing it in my opinion. The ARR mount though is no longer available (or the website is down?), though something similar can be made very easily and/or cheaply.

20220312_155945.jpg

IMG_4341.JPG

Reactions: R3ID05TJ
MIDLAND MXT500 or WOUXUN KG-1000G PLUS

I don't need the full capability of either one, but I live a "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" philosophy.

For someone who talked so much shit about Midland, NotaRubicon sure did get his pockets greased from Midland with his MXT500 review. He's even wearing a Midland shirt.

Maybe someday in the future I will use it more often than not.

KG1000 is for sure a better radio with more features and is easier to use. Not sure the cost difference between the two. Don't get stuck on 50w radios though. Especially for your purposes, one of the cheaper 20/25w ones would do you just fine for cheaper.

Reactions: R3ID05TJ
Yea I noticed the ARR website no longer exists. I have the antenna mount. I don't even know what the radio mount looks like.

The Radioddity db20-g looks like a good mixture of functionality price and simplicity. I don't need or want to monitor 4 channels like the db25-g features. I'd have to get a different mic tho, I can't stand mic's full of buttons.

Reactions: tworley
It’s very frustrating to be sitting at the trailhead waiting to take off while someone is flipping through the manual trying to figure out the most basic of functions on a radio. So, my advice is to save yourself the frustration of having a super-duper 100w high quality but less common radio and look around at what your wheeling buddies or club members are using and get that one. While they are not overly complicated, you will have the advantage of group knowledge of how to best install, program, troubleshoot, and use the radio.

Without going into detail, I have extensive radio experience through work with Harris and Motorola APX8500 and XTS5000 and XTL5000 and newer type radios with repeaters but on much higher freqs etc etc... Just never used consumer grade ones for personal use off roading yet.

I agree on not having ALL the whizbangs. There is a line. Not sure where it is yet. I don't find myself trying to figure out the radio at the trailhead. The Tucson Jeep club uses everything imaginable. Everybody seems to have the mentality of exclusivity that they need the coolest newest gadget they can brag about because nobody else has it yet. I don't wheel with that crowd often but have before.

I'll probably get a couple handhelds as well. Wheeled the other day with just one other Jeep way up deep into the mountains and neither one of us had a radio. His fully Blaine built Jeep would leave me in the dust all the time and I had to figure out which Y in the trail he took. Or which line to avoid.

Reactions: RINC
Yea I noticed the ARR website no longer exists. I have the antenna mount. I don't even know what the radio mount looks like.

I've seen someone use unistrut channel and simply attach it to the windshield support bars using u bolts. Works just as well as my ARR mount.

I've seen someone use unistrut channel and simply attach it to the windshield support bars using u bolts. Works just as well as my ARR mount.

Possibilities are endless. Imagine the amount of RAM ball mounts you can put on something like that.

I love the detachable faceplate of the KG-1000G.

• Haha
Reactions: tworley
Made a unistrut rail mount. | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon,  Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

670719_10157536758081819_4728599842838203157_o-jpg.jpg

This is another option for a mount but if I end up getting a super cheap CB radio as well just to have and take up space and collect dust I'll want everything in the same place. Up high out of the way.

CFE%20CB%20Mounting%20Bracket_04_TJ_96080%20200.jpg

I went with the Midland MXT500. 6db gain antenna, external speaker and ARR mount. ARR mount is available. I contacted him through his email [email protected] . I pulled a muscle in my lower back and have not been able to install the radio yet. I will be using the 6db gain antenna with the magnetic mount until I figure out a permanent placement.

Reactions: RINC and R3ID05TJ