Best Jerry can holders?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I know everyone is against carrying gas in extra jerry cans. But I live in LA. And am constantly reminded of how easy it would be to get evacuated in a natural disaster. So I want to be able to carry at least two jerry cans of gas. (And two jerry cans of water.) In the event we're stuck on an interstate fleeing the city. Gas and/or water may not be available. And my Jeep like so many others is a GAS HOG. And it can be a long haul to get out of LA on the freeways in bad traffic.

I have a Smittybilt (I know "Shittybilt".) tubular SRC rear bumper with tire carrier sitting in my garage. That I know you can add jerry can holders too. (But it's known to be a little jinky when it comes to a rattling tire carrier latch. Mine is a little loose. I'm going to attempt to fix it. The only thing - beyond looks - that I like about the Smittybilt SRC is it's tow rated to level III at 5000lbs. Otherwise I would have opted for the Redrock or Rugged Ridge bumpers. Which are the only other two tubular designs I've found.)

Here's the Smittybilt SRC rear bumper with tire carrier for $468. I got it for $100 used which is why I'm willing to try to fix it's latch rattle. The matching front bumper is also only $200. SO if I made it work. It would be a $300 front and rear bumper with tire carrier set up. Minus the cost of jerry can holders:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybilt-src-rear-bumper-tj-yj-76621.html
I'd like to add two jerry gas cans to the tire carrier. And perhaps two jerry cans of water on the outside too. To free up as much cab space as possible. I'd be carrying 3 people and three backpacks. Not to mention the rear seat.

I need new offroad tires worse than this bumper set up. So I'm trying to make this Shittybilt bumper system work.

1) My question is - what is the best "gas" metal jerry can holder that will work with this tire carrier? And how do they attach? I've seen the Smittybilt jerry can holders. But it doesn't say whether they fit the SRC tire carrier and/or how they fit. Are there other brands of jerry can holders that will work better? Anyone ever use the EU jerry cans with holders? The holders often times come free. Just wondering if those will fit this tire carrier?

2) What's the best way to attach two additional "water" jerry cans to the outside (talking the plastic USGI ones - meant for water)? Front quarter panels? Roof rack (not that I want to do this)? Additional holders on the tire carrier? Just say screw it and put them in the back (not sure they'll fit with 3 people, rear seat and three backpacks)?

3) Start over with a completely different set of bumpers and tire carrier? I am partial to the tubular design. I could be talked into Dirtworx. But I really don't have the money for it. And again, I'm partial to the tubular design vs the squared bumpers. And it would be a price difference of less than $400 vs near a grand.

4) Lastly, this tire carrier holds the tire fairly high up. Obscuring your rear view. So another option I am considering is just using the rear bumper without the tire carrier and getting something like the OR FAB(?) tailgate tire carrier. But I'm not sure you can carry jerry cans on that one too. This would be my last option. As it's fairly expensive.

J15153.jpg

sb-76721-2_2608.jpg

I use Rock Hard 4x4 can brackets. They might fit your Smittybilt tire carrier. They come pre-drilled for Rotopax hardware and with slots for hold down straps. They will hold NATO style cans, Blitz style cans, Spector MFC;s and MWC's, and Rotopax containers.

Rear of Jeep.jpg

P.S. - not "everyone" is against using jerry cans although one jerry certainly is. Everyone has different needs.

I use Rock Hard 4x4 can brackets. They might fit your Smittybilt tire carrier. They come pre-drilled for Rotopax hardware and with slots for hold down straps. They will hold NATO style cans, Blitz style cans, Spector MFC;s and MWC's, and Rotopax containers.

View attachment 119546

P.S. - not "everyone" is against using jerry cans although one jerry certainly is. Everyone has different needs.

Thank you! You're even carrying a hi lift. Your a rebel! ;) Who made your bumper and tire carrier?

I’m quite sure you’ve seen this product
http://www.morryde.com/products/127-jeep-tj-side-mount
They offer a few possibilities.

I’ve never worked with a TJ and I seldom have the rear seat in my LJ but I’m going to throw a couple ideas your way to at least get you thinking.

I use this holder for both 2 1/2 and 5 gallon MWC. I show mine secured to my cargo baseboard that you may have seen.

25F723C8-1B85-4D45-AC65-58061A35B7EC.jpeg

4B443305-F0CF-4A70-BAFB-00B6221B992B.jpeg

Would something like my carrier work in one of the rear foot wells and still let you have one passenger in the rear seat?
A mounting plate for this secured to the rear front seat mounting bolts?
If that much water is a priority could you get a 2 1/2 MWC behind the rear seat using a holder like mine secured to the rear seat mounting bolts or even the M8 child seat retainer bolts ?

Just throwing out ideas in case $ is tight.

If you are considering a bug out situation leaving LA you might go with a hitch mount carrier and cheap plastic cans for water and gas. Even a $45 craptastic HF cargo rack can easily carry 150lbs of water and gas for that. If you don't have a hitch it's great to have anyway.

Everybody isn't against gas cans on a rack, just a vocal few.

If your rear view is blocked pretend you are driving a semi and use those mirrors.

Your orange text might be a little difficult to read.

Air is pretty good out here today, yesterday afternoon sucked. Hope everybody you know did okay with all this mess.

Reactions: TFrano
I’m quite sure you’ve seen this product
http://www.morryde.com/products/127-jeep-tj-side-mount
They offer a few possibilities.

I’ve never worked with a TJ and I seldom have the rear seat in my LJ but I’m going to throw a couple ideas your way to at least get you thinking.

I use this holder for both 2 1/2 and 5 gallon MWC. I show mine secured to my cargo baseboard that you may have seen.

View attachment 119567

View attachment 119568

Would something like my carrier work in one of the rear foot wells and still let you have one passenger in the rear seat?
A mounting plate for this secured to the rear front seat mounting bolts?
If that much water is a priority could you get a 2 1/2 MWC behind the rear seat using a holder like mine secured to the rear seat mounting bolts or even the M8 child seat retainer bolts ?

Just throwing out ideas in case $ is tight.

Gives me some things to think about. But room in the interior is at just a premium. I think I'd want to keep as many of the cans on the outside as I could.

If you are considering a bug out situation leaving LA you might go with a hitch mount carrier and cheap plastic cans for water and gas. Even a $45 craptastic HF cargo rack can easily carry 150lbs of water and gas for that. If you don't have a hitch it's great to have anyway.

Everybody isn't against gas cans on a rack, just a vocal few.

If your rear view is blocked pretend you are driving a semi and use those mirrors.

Your orange text might be a little difficult to read.

Air is pretty good out here today, yesterday afternoon sucked. Hope everybody you know did okay with all this mess.

I'll probably end up with one of those HF racks too. Just to carry food and what not. Probably a cooler. And anything else that didn't fit inside. This has certainly convinced me that I need an HD OME lift rather than the regular one. lol.

Everyone I know is ok from the fires. I'm down here by LAX so nothing happening here. Except you can smell the smoke pretty good.

Reactions: pagrey

View attachment 119546

I also have these.
If you use a Super Siphon, you can drain the cans in 60 seconds without ever removing the cans from the bumper. Saves a lot of time and effort. Lower can mounts might not be able to that