Best Load Range Tire for Those that Don't Daily Drive

Byhumba

I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
Supporting Member
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. If it has, please provide a link and we can delete this thread. I searched and all I can find is answers for those that do daily drive their Jeep, or the usual mud vs all terrain vs (others), brand X vs brand Y, etc.

Sacrificing onroad comfort (for people that don't daily drive their Jeeps), aren't LR E tires the best option for offroad, since you can run them at lower PSI and they decrease the likelihood of punctures?

Oh wow! I haven't dared running under 15 PSI on my 285/75/16 LR D BF Goodrich KOs.

I almost always air down to 8psi on the same size and load range tire.

The problem you face with a 16" wheel is that there are very few options for a LR C.

Reactions: Byhumba
I almost always air down to 8psi on the same size and load range tire.

The problem you face with a 16" wheel is that there are very few options for a LR C.
Great to know! Thanks for the answers. I was not aware of the limited load range options for the 16" wheels. Prior to my current LR D tires, I always ran LR E's and that's when I used to daily drive my Jeep. I never made an issue of the ride comfort, but that's because I didn't know any better. Lol.

Great to know! Thanks for the answers. I was not aware of the limited load range options for the 16" wheels. Prior to my current LR D tires, I always ran LR E's and that's when I used to daily drive my Jeep. I never made an issue of the ride comfort, but that's because I didn't know any better. Lol.

16" is an increasingly obsolete size. I intend to change to 15" on the next set. Tires are less expensive and the options are greater.

When that happens, I'll be very interested to see how the comfort changes between E and C.

16" is an increasingly obsolete size. I intend to change to 15" on the next set. Tires are less expensive and the options are greater.

When that happens, I'll be very interested to see how the comfort changes between E and C.
I'm starting to consider that option as well. My Jeep has the original Alcoa wheels (it's one of those special editions). I like the look of the Alcoas (probably in the minority) and the only reason why I hesitate to change to 15" wheels.

There's no reason to run load range E tires unless you absolutely can't fine a C rated tire in size / brand you want. Those are meant for heavy trucks that way significantly more than a TJ. Hence the reason they ride like crap.

.... Those are meant for heavy trucks that way significantly more than a TJ. Hence the reason they ride like crap.

Mine don't ride like crap. At the time, the new E Coopers Maxes were noticably stiffer than the old E Duratracs. Airing down to 8psi breaks down the sidewall over time and makes the tires more compliant.

I do expect a difference in ride with C's, but not anything as dramatic as the shock work I have done.