Best low profile diff cover for Dana 44 front?

AMS417

"The Ayatollah of rock and rolla"
Supporting Member
Had a good time adventuring with a group on Mark Twain National Forrest lands this weekend. Has no idea the trail system was so large and diverse. Found some pretty challenging climbs and ledge rock. Lots of deep water crossings due to the rain. Need to check my fluids asap.

Also managed to bounce my face off the steering wheel when I overestimated my diff clearance and smack a rock , brought me to a rapid and complete stop. Dented my front diff cover enough I want to upgrade. Not touching the ring gear, but another impact may put it into contact or cause a leak.

What's your favorite no marketing gimmick front cover for a Dana 44? Want low profile and strong.

142836481_171065428123599_6727803978020251003_n.jpg

Barnes, also sold directly by Currie and Savvy Offroad. Built onto the OE factory Dana 44 cover, it maintains the upper dimensions so as to not cause problems for the steering system, while giving a beefed up lower-half that is also tapered so it can slide up & over obstacles. To me it's the very best of the best of aftermarket covers.

Barnes-Currie Diff Cover.JPG

Edit: Hold on, I'm not sure if these are even still available any more. I tried both Barnes and Currie but don't see it on their website at this time.

Barnes, also sold directly by Currie. Built onto the OE factory Dana 44 cover, it maintains the upper dimensions so as to not cause problems for the steering system, while giving a beefed up lower-half that is also tapered so it can slide up & over obstacles. To me it's the very best of the best of aftermarket covers.

View attachment 222431
Looked on Barnes and Currie site. Don't see this one listed.

Looked on Barnes and Currie site. Don't see this one listed.
Yeah sorry that's what I just found too. I went back to find a link to one for you but I don't see it on either of their sites right now. It seems to come and go here and there. I think it may be too labor intensive (it is welded together) to make this one as compared to one that is just stamped or cast.

Reactions: AMS417
Oh wait, here it is back on the old T&J website who first made it and where I bought my first one. I don't know if it's really in stock but... https://tandjperformance.com/product/part-bp-dt044/

And I've seen both the Barnes and Barnett names associated with this cover, I dunno if one of those is just a typo that propagated or not.

Jerry, that's a good looking cover! haven't seen that before.
AMS417 for what it's worth I am happy with the Rancho cover on on my Dana 30.
it has a small pipe plug to check fluid levels at the correct depth. Rancho likely
makes a Dana 44 version. No steering contact issue's, ( at least on a Dana 30).

Yeah sorry that's what I just found too. I went back to find a link to one for you but I don't see it on either of their sites right now. It seems to come and go here and there. I think it may be too labor intensive (it is welded together) to make this one as compared to one that is just stamped or cast.
Research is leading me towards a thicker OE 44 cover from a Ram 1500. That and to pay more attention to what I am driving over.

Saw one on someone’s rig the other day and went looking for one but couldn’t find one.

But I was looking for a Dana 30 cover so that could have been my problem.

Is something like that available for a Dana 30?

Will give them a call and see if they still carry it Monday. If not, shopping for the thicker OE cover. Might hit up the Pick and Pull this week and grab a couple. It took a good bashing many times before denting, sure the thicker one would be sufficient.
Be wary of running a thick front cover, they often come in contact when your steering system, especially during turns.

That's why the T&J/Barnett/Barnes cover has no added thickness on top.

Be wary of running a thick front cover, they often come in contact when your steering system, especially during turns.

That's why the T&J/Barnett/Barnes cover has no added thickness on top.
If I understand the thicker stamped steel cover off a Ram 1500 is just slightly thicker material and has a slightly higher fill hole. Like 3/16 on the Ram vs 1/8 on the TJ. Not looking at ARB covers or anything like that.

If I understand the thicker stamped steel cover off a Ram 1500 is just slightly thicker material and has a slightly higher fill hole. Like 3/16 on the Ram vs 1/8 on the TJ. Not looking at ARB covers or anything like that.
I think you're overthinking this unless you plan on using your front axle as a battering ram.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I think you're overthinking this unless you plan on using your front axle as a battering ram.
I think maybe you misunderstood. The cover off the Ram trucks is dimensionally the same as the OE Jeep cover, aside from being slightly thicker metal. Its still an OEM Dana cover, just a little thicker gauge.

Yes, I will probably continue to use it as a battering ram on occasion. Still plan to follow up on the Barnett cover, I like the added protection and the ramp at the bottom may help me go over some rocks instead of stopping me dead.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Saw one on someone’s rig the other day and went looking for one but couldn’t find one.

But I was looking for a Dana 30 cover so that could have been my problem.

Is something like that available for a Dana 30?
They made them for the Dana 30 too, not sure if they still do. Give 'em a call.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
For moderate wheeling the Warn one works well, after harder wheeling it becomes smashed all up in there, deforming the factory cover. I ran one for a while, worked well enough. The Barnes one works well too, up to a point, regarding the aforementioned battering ram technique. . I tried on on my 60, it only lasted a few months until I couldn't access the bolts very well.

I have a Ballistic one on my 60, it's one of the lowest clearance ones I could find. Still thick steel, so there may be interference issues with the TJ, but pretty stout. I've only slightly dented mine.

https://www.ballisticfabrication.co...ducts/jeep-rubicon-dana-44-differential-cover

Reactions: Wildman and AMS417