Best M/T tires for a rock crawler in 2021

BFG A/T- Not a mud tire, but fantastic street manners, very quiet, they balance nicely too.... horrible tire for what I use them for. Rocks chew them apart. I was having them chunk at 4-5k miles. There was plenty of tread left where it had not chunked. Ruined tire in 4-5k miles. I would actually recommend for a weekend warrior, but not heavy off road use.
View attachment 276903
I'm glad you posted this. I had a set of BFG A/Ts that were fantastic on the road, but every time I wheeled with them I'd come back with large chunks of rubber missing. I had people I knew also running them, who kept telling me I must be doing something wrong. My argument was that they weren't wheeling their Jeeps hard enough. This confirms my theory! ;)

I know they had a 35" equivalent. I've wheeled with a few folks who had them and the 35" part is what my buddy who hates me now bought.
They did a 315x75x16 and 35x12.5x17. I have never seen a 35x12.5x15 duratrac listed in their catalog or anywhere else.

I also inquires with GY a couple of years ago. A customer with a K5 Blazer wanted a set. The rep told me..... GY doesn't make that size in the duratrac and suggested the M/T/R.

When I was shopping for new MTs recently I always interpreted long lasting tires as being too hard for rock crawling. I know you mentioned this also. For a non fleet you basically want the softest treads that are just hard to enough survive regular road use.

I also ended on Baja Bosses. They seem to be doing the job I ask of them 3 times a week road duty and at least one hard wheeling day a month. No chunking so far but I don't think PNW terrain causes a lot of chunks. My Patagonia had minimal chunking as well.

Here you can see the chunks I'd torn out of the tread on that Toyo M/T.

IMGP1084.JPG

As you can see they were sipped and we'd just gotten done being in the Rimrock area for a week.

Reactions: Irun
I’ve been running the Maxxis Razr’s for about a year, and although I have been happy with them, they are not holding up well to abuse. After the last couple of wheelin’ trips they have several cuts through the outer layer of the sidewalls, and some nasty chunks there as well. Now I do run them hard, but my previous Krawlers lasted 10 years under the same abuse.

Im running 35” mickey baja boss and like them, id run another set.

you said the BFGs

look into the 37x12.5R17 Baja Boss X
its there stickey mickey and fairly cheap compared to the other “competition” sticky tires out there

Reactions: suicideking
Im running 35” mickey baja boss and like them, id run another set.

you said the BFGs

look into the 37x12.5R17 Baja Boss X
its there stickey mickey and fairly cheap compared to the other “competition” sticky tires out there
You ain't any smarter than the last guy who recommended sticky tires for the street.

• Haha
Reactions: srimes
A trailer isn't an option at this point, nowhere to park it (HOA).

Plus many of the runs I do start in one place, end somewhere else.

So definitely want tires that can be used on the highway.

Possibly getting a set of slightly used Cooper STT pro. I'll see if that works out. I've noticed in pictures they even look very similar to the Baja Boss.

A trailer isn't an option at this point, nowhere to park it (HOA).

Plus many of the runs I do start in one place, end somewhere else.

So definitely want tires that can be used on the highway.

Possibly getting a set of slightly used Cooper STT pro. I'll see if that works out. I've noticed in pictures they even look very similar to the Baja Boss.
How many highway miles do you average per wheeling trip?

After lots of calling around, I may have found the last set of Nitto TG in the country. A tire store rep gave me the speech about how he talked to the Nitto rep, national back order, etc. Said they aren't even allowing pre-orders anymore because they have sold all that will be available in the next batch.

Then I had him pull up tires in 37 X 12.5 X 17, and he noticed 4 sitting at a store in Alabama. Snapped those up and found a 5th about 45 minutes away. I expected a call from the tire shop saying that they got canceled, wrong tire, or something similar. To my surprise, they arrived the other day. Bought the certs for them. Got them mounted today.

Of course, forgot to tell them to inflate to 26 or so. On the way home, I was trying to gauge how overfilled they were. They were right around 40psi. No shocker there.

20211011_121336.jpg

20211011_121345.jpg

20211011_122549.jpg

20211011_121350.jpg

After lots of calling around, I may have found the last set of Nitto TG in the country. A tire store rep gave me the speech about how he talked to the Nitto rep, national back order, etc. Said they aren't even allowing pre-orders anymore because they have sold all that will be available in the next batch.

Then I had him pull up tires in 37 X 12.5 X 17, and he noticed 4 sitting at a store in Alabama. Snapped those up and found a 5th about 45 minutes away. I expected a call from the tire shop saying that they got canceled, wrong tire, or something similar. To my surprise, they arrived the other day. Bought the certs for them. Got them mounted today.

Of course, forgot to tell them to inflate to 26 or so. On the way home, I was trying to gauge how overfilled they were. They were right around 40psi. No shocker there.

View attachment 282923

View attachment 282924

View attachment 282927

View attachment 282926
Nice! I like the hitch support, clever.

Reactions: suicideking

View attachment 282923

View attachment 282924

View attachment 282927

View attachment 282926
I have these and I hate them purely based off the weight. They’re something like 20 lbs heavier per tire than the same size MT/R.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have these and I hate them purely based off the weight. They’re something like 20 lbs heavier per tire than the same size MT/R.

The Nitto are 9 lbs heavier.

I would've gone with the MTR if I could've found a set. Found the Nitto first and have been wanting to try them. I've heard they last longer and aren't as much trouble to balance or keep balanced.