Best method for painting bare bumper?

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
I will be painting a new bumper soon & haven't done anything bare before. I have a couple questions.

1- I know I'll need to clean it well but is there any other prep that would be useful? When I did the frame I sprayed it with some kind of POR product that etches, is there something like that I should do?

2- Does anyone know what color will match the factory bumpers? I always thought it was flat but when I sprayed my rear bumper in a couple spots with flat it's clearly different.

3 - not so much paint related, but does anyone know what these bolts are on the front of the frame on both sides? They don't seem to be doing anything & if that's the case I'm thinking about pulling them out:

Bumper bolts.jpg

Reactions: TJTJ04
I believe those bolts are for the stock sway bar and don’t do anything otherwise.

Have you considered having the bumper powdercoated? The finish would be thicker and more durable than a lot of paints

Reactions: Twopoint
Lightly sand, and clean the bare metal with mineral spirits. That will get rid of any grease (packing or hands)

Reactions: Alex01
I believe those bolts are for the stock sway bar and don’t do anything otherwise.

Have you considered having the bumper powdercoated? The finish would be thicker and more durable than a lot of paints

Ha, I feel like an idiot now, I actually removed those bolts before when I yanked my stock sway bar a couple years ago, had forgotten all about that. When I saw them this morning I couldn't for the life of me figure it out :LOL:

I have considered powder coating it but thought it would be easier to fix if it was painted, just a shot here & a shot there... My current front bumper was only ever painted & I haven't had any trouble with it

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01
I have considered powder coating it but thought it would be easier to fix if it was painted, just a shot here & a shot there... My current front bumper was only ever painted & I haven't had any trouble with it

I'm with you. My bumpers, slider, and skids are all ace hardware brand satin black. I keep a few cans in the garage so I can touch things up time to time.

Reactions: pagrey and matkal
Powder coat will be almost impossible to match if you get a ding. The vast majority of responses to my same inquiry said to paint it and be done. To your original question - use self-etching primer as the first paint coat(s). Worked for me.

just checked, don't have any. Is there any chance denatured alcohol would also work, have a gallon of that?
I'd pick up a small container of acetone, should be pretty cheap and will do a better job than alcohol. For the bare steel, use either self etching or epoxy primer.

I'd pick up a small container of acetone, should be pretty cheap and will do a better job than alcohol. For the bare steel, use either self etching or epoxy primer.
I go through acetone by the gallon. Super useful to remove grease and dissolve stuff and not very expensive. It’s not even all that toxic either

Reactions: derekmac and Alex01
To answer #2 : I have used trim black spray paint (some call it bumper and trim) and I have been happy with it I have a stock rear bumper to paint and this is what I plan on using. I know you can get Napa brand and eastwood but there are others too

Reactions: Rollin20z
I just re-birthed all the black stuff on my 98 TJ. I washed, sanded, wiped clean and used Rustoleum Semi-flat black rattle can. I did like 3 coats. I am not concerned with having a show stopper jeep. I ride trails and get her dirty as well as DD. So I don't see the need, for me, to powder coat, professional paint etc. If it gets chipped or scrtach so be it. I'll touch it up.

Last edited:
I have stock bumpers, no winch. When I was doing the internal frame cleaning and prep. I took them off and painted them inside and out. I cleaned the surfaces, primed with Rust Oleum Rusty Metal Primer and then Rust Oleum semi gloss black. They look good enough for me. If I ever have to touch up or remove the bumpers it is easy enough to do. I will probably be doing an internal frame clean and touch up on a yearly basis now that my undercarriage and inner frame cavities have been taken care of so it will be no big deal.

DSCN1550.JPG

DSCN1553.JPG

Reactions: TJ Starting
I just re-birthed all the black stuff on my 98 TJ. I washed, sanded, wiped clean and used Rustoleum Semi-flat black rattle can. I did like 3 coats. I am not concerned with having a show stopper jeep. I ride rails and get her dirty as well as DD. So I don't see the need, for me, to powder coat, professional paint etc. If it gets chipped or scrtach so be it. I'll touch it up.

Exactly. There a satin/semi flat black. grab a couple cans from wally world wash,scuff,degrease,tape and shoot. The trim/bumper paint is called that for a reason. It pretty much matches most of what came that color factory. Chances are what any bumper or trim almost 20yrs old is faded anyhow so just refresh it all and make it look new. The rustoleum T&B from again wally world for like $5/6 bucks a can works just as good as the $15 a can stuff. Not trying to sound cheap but why waste the extra money on unnecessary stuff to get same result. Especially on something like a bumper which unless all it does is sit in garage is gonna get stone chipped/scratched. And on the bare bumper just make sure its clean and put a coat of sealing primer on it and that's all you need to do. And if you get a scratch or chip on it later, hit it with a scotchbrite pad to break surface and re-shoot/touch-up. Done

$15-20 and couple hours time later = new looking bumpers.

Good paint requires hardner and a spray gun, anything else is just a rattle can and probably a waste of time. I won’t powder coat anymore, I have had it peel because most shops are too lazy to do proper cleaning.

Reactions: derekmac
Good paint requires hardner and a spray gun, anything else is just a rattle can and probably a waste of time. I won’t powder coat anymore, I have had it peel because most shops are too lazy to do proper cleaning.

True to a point. But you left out 2 sometimes 1 very important components. A competent person to prepare the parts to receive paint and 1 that has the skills to properly use materials to apply said color in correct way, since most good painters don't do their own prep. I have seen work done and had work done only to have them redo it by some of the so called professionals till it was done in an acceptable manner that a rattle can job done by Billy Bob in his garage looked better and lasted longer. Not saying correctly done it is more appropriate way to do it and also a lot more expensive. But for some fender flares and tag surround on a jeep that will probably get beat on I mean really?? I've seen a lot of "Good" paint faded,checked up and peeling in no time without someone knowing what there doing laying it down.

And as far a powder coat goes pretty much the same, crapshoot. I've done some of my own powder in my garage in an old kitchen oven that was more durable and outlasted some I paid a professional shop so to speak to do. Only because it wouldn't fit in my oven.