Best midsize truck?

I like my ZR2 a lot. Im curious about long term reliability, it’s got a couple of very small rattles and things but no real issues so far.

The diesel is really really nice to drive, I can get about 500 miles on a tank and I think it’s paired very nicely with the transmission for how I drive. It’s not a sports car so if you drive more aggressively you’ll probably be disappointed, but the cruise does really well - one of the best of vehicles I’ve had for up/down hills - often it sort of transmission breaks coming down hill so it doesn’t “runaway”. It’s comfortable to drive too, I’ve put nearly 4K miles on mine so far.

I think this is the biggest difference between the Tacoma and the ZR2. Drivability the ZR2 just wins, the engine/transmission pairing is a lot better, it has more even braking, and it’s more comfortable. There are other arguably better quality qualities in the Tacoma (safety features and whatnot) and the gear hunting didn’t annoy me as much as it does for some people.

It was between this and a Taco in my book, I got a great deal on a used one which was enough to convince me. it would have been 10-15k more to get a similarly equipped taco.

pics:
4321D0A1-E65E-44EC-8430-6D99D9C9DE6B.jpeg766E6FA6-736B-4F54-9B1E-A4CA604F613C.jpeg0CA4428F-9F12-4ABF-89B2-3EEAD1418E34.jpegA39766ED-7002-421D-B959-90C465778652.jpeg68E47C35-2201-408C-94F1-9235867E5AAE.jpeg3DECED1E-CEFF-4F8A-8C6C-AD87EE04D704.jpeg

I have zero experience with any of the three but I'd buy a ZR2 bison if I had the cash.

Frontier. I owned an 09 and 12 Tacoma and both had issues. My Frontier has been rock solid. Not fancy at all, more like the TJ of mid-sized trucks. You can get a P4X for a lot less than the TRD or the GM twins. Oh yeah- it doesn't have a minivan engine either. I haven't driven the Ranger yet, but there are chips for it that really wake it up, which makes it interesting.

Reactions: chad and Chris
A couple years ago I wanted a ZR2 so bad it wasn't funny. The wife said there's no way we are spending that kind of money on a truck. That really frustrated me, even somewhat when she said we should be looking for a Jeep. I ended up with my Rubicon and may never be frustrated again. I also wonder how much I'd be taking that ZR2 off road, I bet not nearly as much as the Rubicon.

Reactions: Chris
I’m 6.4 and I’ve had 4 Taco’s over the years 2015 being the last. Every time they redesign it it gets cheaper made. I had several problems with it and I decided to give Canyon Denali a try and I love it. Way more leg room and overall Comfort almost as much room as a full size truck. As far as reliability goes Nissan is currently probably the best but 17 mpg kinda hurts it. Toyota is living off the reputation of the bullet proof 22R in the 90’s. I have a good friend that works a Toyota motor and transmission plant. He says that 10 years ago if you dropped any motor part it went straight in the recycling bin. 2 years ago they sad use it no matter what. He’s currently doing motor testing and it’s kinda the same thing. Years ago when they tested them if they had any vibration it would be rejected now they do they have a Computer program to determine if it will make it past warranty . Not saying Taco’s aren’t good they’re just not as good as they used to be. You might as well buy one from a American brand.

Having owned many Toyota P/U's, my 2014 Tacoma TRD/OR with the 6-speed manual was just a dog.
1st gear was too high and 5th & 6th were overdrives. And way too many nanny buttons. So I couldn't have fun while driving it. I only had it for 2 years before it got traded in.
I'd like to find a late 60's or early 70's Chevy/GMC for a project truck.

I’m 6.4 and I’ve had 4 Taco’s over the years 2015 being the last. Every time they redesign it it gets cheaper made. I had several problems with it and I decided to give Canyon Denali a try and I love it. Way more leg room and overall Comfort almost as much room as a full size truck. As far as reliability goes Nissan is currently probably the best but 17 mpg kinda hurts it. Toyota is living off the reputation of the bullet proof 22R in the 90’s. I have a good friend that works a Toyota motor and transmission plant. He says that 10 years ago if you dropped any motor part it went straight in the recycling bin. 2 years ago they sad use it no matter what. He’s currently doing motor testing and it’s kinda the same thing. Years ago when they tested them if they had any vibration it would be rejected now they do they have a Computer program to determine if it will make it past warranty . Not saying Taco’s aren’t good they’re just not as good as they used to be. You might as well buy one from a American brand.

I was a Toyota Master Diagnostic Tech in a former career and saw first hand the erosion of quality over the late 90’s to early 2000s. Sad to say, but in my observation it was directly correlated with them bringing their production stateside. There was a marked difference in problems between vehicles whose VINs started with a J and those that started with a 2. The Silverado I have now is doing just as well as my last Tundra (which is to say perfectly average).

I had a 2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab/Long bed that I loved. I'd still have it if I didn't need to upgrade to a full size 1-ton. It was comfortable, had plenty of power, fit and finish better than the Chevy version, and I had zero issues with it for 3 years.

But really this question needs more specifics... as in, what would be the primary use of the truck? Work? Play? Towing? Offroad? These things change the answer to 'which is the best'...

Last edited:
Reactions: chad
I was a Toyota Master Diagnostic Tech in a former career and saw first hand the erosion of quality over the late 90’s to early 2000s. Sad to say, but in my observation it was directly correlated with them bringing their production stateside. There was a marked difference in problems between vehicles whose VINs started with a J and those that started with a 2. The Silverado I have now is doing just as well as my last Tundra (which is to say perfectly average).
This is why current 4Runners hold up so well- made in Japan. Not to say that American auto workers are the problem- I think they can build some of the best quality cars, but the standards are just different.

I almost picked up a ZR2 with Duramax a year or 2. I would probably go one of the off-road oriented Tacomas now. I like the idea of the Jeep trucks like the Gladiator, but I don't like the price and the look. I talked with the wife and she wanted a gladiator until she saw a few. I think I like the JKUs that are converted into trucks. I tried to tempt her into an older JKU with the 3.8 and then swapping in a R2.8 once she realized what a dog the 3.8 was. She didn't bite though, so we're sticking to the 4 Jeeps, couple trucks, couple cars and motorcycle I've already got sitting around.

This is why current 4Runners hold up so well- made in Japan. Not to say that American auto workers are the problem- I think they can build some of the best quality cars, but the standards are just different.

I think you're right, that's why the wife stays in a Lexus. The GX has an absurd amount of reliability.