Double DIN Android Head Unit (InsaneAudio TJ1001) Chinese Knock-Off Review

Just to give an update on the stereo, I have absolutely no complaints. The latest firmware update fixed the only bug I ever noticed and it runs like a champ. By far, this is the best stereo I have ever seen and am l very happy to own one. For the price, you can't beat it.

Reactions: Chris
Post the link to it again! Just so I can push it for everyone who asks.

If I could do it over again I'd order it straight from roadnav.com simply because that vendor has a really good forum with active moderators and even a few developers.

I got mine from:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/tradesolution07

He was really helpful in making sure I got the right unit for my 06 LJR. It even came with the plug and play harness. If you get it from roadnav.com I'm not sure that you'll get the harness. The eBay seller was awesome. He was initially sent the wrong unit and noticed the discrepancy and confirmed with me before sending it my way. He was on top of it. I'd recommend him for sure. I still use the roadnav.com forum even though I didn't buy it from them.

Reactions: Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
@badlieutenant

Does is have RCA out, or any USB in?

Yes it does. Two USB ports, one in the front and one in the back. I'm 99% sure it has RCA out as well. It has the ability to hook up several cameras to it. When I'm done dropping the browns off at the super bowl I'll go get the box and photograph the plethora of cables it same with for you.

I really can't stress enough how amazing this thing is. I'm not getting some sort of kick back for trying to get you guys to buy one - I'm just really that impressed with it.

You know how our Jeeps are pretty utilitarian and don't have all the fancy stuff new cars or even new Jeeps do? This head unit totally changes the entire feel of the inside of the cabin because it's so feature rich. It literally does everything you could possibly want it to.

Off roading on some trails you've never been on? No problem. Google Maps let's you download and save maps for if you don't have net access. Need a real time OBDII output? No problem! Get a Bluetooth OBDII reader, plug it in, and sync it up with the S160 stereo. Want movies for the kids? Throw some movies on your SDCARD and enjoy! Music? Same thing. I've got like 10,000 mp3's copied to the unit. Shit man, it has a digital TV antenna input so you can mount one of those leaf antennas somewhere inside the dash and watch digital tv anywhere you want!

I'm thinking about mounting small cameras on each side of the front and rear bumpers so when I go trail riding I can see exactly what I'm about to drive into.

I don't do as much off roading as you guys because I'm a big pussy and don't want to scratch my unicorn LJR... I mostly just drive around with the top off in my awesome little city and get thumbs up or the wave everywhere I go. I'm wanting to mount a nice little flatscreen that can fold up on right in the middle of the sound bar so my kiddos can watch tv while we trip around.

My next mod is going to be installing a 10" sub in the center console and mounting a little amplifier to power it under the dashboard, out of sight. I'll then replace my blown ass speakers with some newer bigger ones.

The S160 has turned the inside of my LJR into an epic media capable mean machine. At the last Jeep club meet, the couple people that saw it were blown away.

Oh yeah, it does AirPlay mirroring so I can mirror my iPhone output to the unit. How tits is that?!

and it looks completely stock.. so the likelihood of someone seeing glancing in and wanting to tear it out is pretty slim I'd hope... and even if they did, my google account is logged into it so as soon as they powered it on I'd get a gps hit and go kick their asses and take it back.

@DZ302 ok check it out, it came with all this stuff and more. This is the stuff it came with that I'm not using. The camera that it came with is not normally included but since there was a delay in shipment, tradesolution07, the eBay seller, threw it in for free. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work. I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to stereo/accessory installation so I was just thrilled that it came with a plug and play harness. No cutting/splicing/anything... I just connected the harness adapter to where the old stereo was plugged in and then plugged the other end of the harness into the stereo and it worked. I wish I could have figured out the rear backup camera. Anyway, it definitely has the RCA in/out. Here's the pics I promised. Also, note that the sticker on the box says Chrysler Grand Voyager. Apparently the Grand Voyager and the 2003-2006 TJ has the same exact DIN fitment and maybe even the same plug and play harness. Tradesolution07 on eBay knew exactly what I needed.

91a1f21bf1a7f11f01f5fe52522bfa54.jpg

0f7ffb61c3ea57f00992924f40a6f357.jpg

e95390fe8520bd32adc48a348ee17899.jpg

8bafa60df979133c5fb6019bccc0efbb.jpg

23291f72d018880da8cf3d964fa6a874.jpg

ffe055d42ce4fb710dc66dcc739c555f.jpg

3b0e6389688871ebb341b2e93cbdc20d.jpg

61be0337e573a2b8fbac87ae55866b75.jpg

7f125c2d875eaa7a75eb5c41e8ef1580.jpg

67498b65c6b3a06db5d5fcedfb774303.jpg

e563b7337d3c68530b9f553e6b51992d.jpg

ccab893bee8819135ca3f4d243a122f1.jpg

76e472a2bdb068af5d1b416427a1b34a.jpg

15505da65c99c5ad5b7e25e9f0da27c9.jpg

The picture of the bundle of wires that isn't in a bag is for the backup camera. The camera probably works I just wasn't sure how to wire it. The blue end plugs into the back of the S160, the yellow RCA plug plugged into the really long cable that plugged into the camera itself, the red cable labeled +12+ was spliced into the reverse light power cable, the ground wire was placed between some bolt and a metal frame up in the dash somewhere. I don't remember what I did with the wire that's labeled "back". The end of the cable that plugs into the camera also has a two wires, black and red... I wasn't sure what to do with those but I figured red was power and black was ground so I just spliced the red into some other hot cable and the ground was bolted against the body and the bolt that mounts the taillight assembly. When I'd put it in reverse I'd just get a black screen... like it could detect the camera but it wasn't giving any video. I really didn't know what I was doing but my buddy that was helping was confident the camera was faulty. I have my doubts and think it was user error but I don't know how to troubleshoot it.

The GPS antenna it came with is totally awesome and I just plugged it into the back of the unit and put it up in the dash. You can't see it or anything goofy like that. It also came with an external microphone (see pic) but it was completely unnecessary because there is a really nice microphone built into the unit itself. When I do hands free calling I have never had anyone say they can't hear me.

When I want to make a call I just say "Ok Google" and then use my voice to tell it to dial someone on my contacts list - 100% hands free.

Last edited:
Damn! I guess I'm gonna have to get one:emoji_thumbsup:
Maybe I can utilize my 2000 watt amp and 6x9s

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.