Best mud tires for snow

Bruce20

TJ Enthusiast
What are the best mud tires for snow. I know you will say to get an a/t, but I like the look of mud tires and have a lot of mud, but a lot of snow too and this is my DD. I like the STT pros. How are they in the snow? Looking for 33x12.5r15s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure but I can tell you my 33" BFG's A/T are all over the road hydroplaning when it rains here in Florida. Thing about mud tires is you will ware those out fast. Or if you don't ware them out fast, they will throw the knobs off when they get old.

The only mud tires I've ever heard anything positive about in the snow are the Goodyear Duratracs. But, no mud tires are going to be very good in the snow. I used to drive on snow every day of the year (roads were just packed down snow and sometimes ice) with my BFG KM2's. It was manageable, but you really have to watch what you're doing. I'd be engine braking very far in advance of a stop. Especially in a light, short wheelbase vehicle like a TJ, mud tires and snow are a bad combination.

Reactions: cjaama and Matt77
Not sure but I can tell you my 33" BFG's A/T are all over the road hydroplaning when it rains here in Florida. Thing about mud tires is you will ware those out fast. Or if you don't ware them out fast, they will throw the knobs off when they get old.

Yeah, the coopers are the only tires that really have a good treadlife. I believe it is like 60,000 miles.

Reactions: Matt77
The only mud tires I've ever heard anything positive about in the snow are the Goodyear Duratracs. But, no mud tires are going to be very good in the snow. I used to drive on snow every day of the year (roads were just packed down snow and sometimes ice) with my BFG KM2's. It was manageable, but you really have to watch what you're doing. I'd be engine braking very far in advance of a stop. Especially in a light, short wheelbase vehicle like a TJ, mud tires and snow are a bad combination.

I’ll have to look into the duratracs. I want an aggressive look, but don’t want to sacrifice performance in rain and snow.

No such thing as a M/T that’s good for driving in packed snow. An A/T tire such as a Duratrac does very well in packed snow driving conditions. I can testify to that first hand!

Reactions: Bruce20
Curious on the STT Pro's as well. They were my second choice. They were newer so I figured I'd wait for more reviews and miles driven before I jump in. I'd definitely stick with an A/T in PA if you are going to drive much on the roads during Winter, if not using a dedicated snow tire.

Here are the TR ratings for A/T:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

Here are the M/T ratings:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORMT

I would compare all categories that matter to you and your usage scenarios.

I just put on new BFG KO2's not too long ago and I drove them in the rain quite a bit over the past week or so (for the first time). It hadn't rained in a while, so there was also a lot of oil on the roads during the first day of rain. Mine did great and they didn't slide around on me at all. That said, I don't have anything to compare them with, other than my older Cooper Discovery A/T (30's) they replaced. I'm running 32x11.5xR15 with 27 PSI. Love them so far. Curious, are your tires new or older? KO or KO2? What size/PSI are you running? Hopefully they don't go downhill quick with age!

Reactions: Bruce20 and Matt77
Curious on the STT Pro's as well. They were my second choice. They were newer so I figured I'd wait for more reviews and miles driven before I jump in. I'd definitely stick with an A/T in PA if you are going to drive much on the roads during Winter, if not using a dedicated snow tire.

Here are the TR ratings for A/T:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

Here are the M/T ratings:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORMT

I would compare all categories that matter to you and your usage scenarios.

I just put on new BFG KO2's not too long ago and I drove them in the rain quite a bit over the past week or so (for the first time). It hadn't rained in a while, so there was also a lot of oil on the roads during the first day of rain. Mine did great and they didn't slide around on me at all. That said, I don't have anything to compare them with, other than my older Cooper Discovery A/T (30's) they replaced. I'm running 32x11.5xR15 with 27 PSI. Love them so far. Curious, are your tires new or older? KO or KO2? What size/PSI are you running? Hopefully they don't go downhill quick with age!
I have the ko's. They last a while but I over come the expense of new tires by buying 2 tires at a time. Your fronts will ware out twice as fast as the rears. (Bc of turning) So then you put the rears on the front and buy 2 new ones for the back. As far as psi I follow the manufacturer on the tire. I'm actually due for 2 new tires. I'll get the ko2's. Read they have a meatier sidewall than the ko. But my jeep doesn't get driven much bc I have DW and rotted jounst bumpers. Which I have learned a lot about both from chris, jjvw and jerry.

I have the ko's. They last a while but I over come the expense of new tires by buying 2 tires at a time. Your fronts will ware out twice as fast as the rears. (Bc of turning) So then you put the rears on the front and buy 2 new ones for the back. As far as psi I follow the manufacturer on the tire. I'm actually due for 2 new tires. I'll get the ko2's. Read they have a meatier sidewall than the ko. But my jeep doesn't get driven much bc I have DW and rotted jounst bumpers. Which I have learned a lot about both from chris, jjvw and jerry.

I'm no tire expert, but I feel like rotating your tires every couple oil changes is a much better strategy than replacing two tires at a time. I have BFG KM2's, which aren't exactly known to wear evenly. Every one of my tires has exactly the same tread depth because I rotate them every 2 oil changes.

I would also say that if your front tires are wearing out twice as fast as the rears, you should check your alignment asap...

Reactions: cjaama
I'm no tire expert, but I feel like rotating your tires every couple oil changes is a much better strategy than replacing two tires at a time. I have BFG KM2's, which aren't exactly known to wear evenly. Every one of my tires has exactly the same tread depth because I rotate them every 2 oil changes.

I would also say that if your front tires are wearing out twice as fast as the rears, you should check your alignment asap...
Not to be rude, I would say thank you for your opinion but I have never been a fan of rotating tires and my alignment is perfect. Not sure you what your talking about. Then you buy 4 tires at a time your way. You do it your way and I'll buy 2 tires at a time. :)

Thanks. Ok, I believe I can actually help you now. You should never run the PSI on the side of the tire for any vehicle. The is the maximum cold tire pressure for the maximum load (vehicle weight) that could potentially use the tire. Our Jeeps are much lighter and don't require near that pressure. This will cause piss poor performance and poor wear, plus it will rattle your teeth loose like Chris says, LOL.

Always
use the tire pressure on the door jamb of your vehicle. Inside doorjamb for our TJ's. The larger the tire (if going larger), the less pressure that is needed due to the increased volume.

For reference:
For on-road conditions (cold tire pressure in the shade after you haven't driven for a few hours)

By tire diameter:
30's - 29 PSI (stock per Jeep, see your doorjamb)
31's - 28 PSI
32's - 27 PSI
33's - 26 PSI

P.S. I'll be using a 5 tire rotation every 3-5k, so this should help prevent excessive wear as well.

Last edited:
Thanks. Ok, I believe I can actually help you now. You should never run the PSI on the side of the tire for any vehicle. The is the maximum cold tire pressure for the maximum load (vehicle weight) that could potentially use the tire. Our Jeeps are much lighter and don't require near that pressure. This will cause piss poor performance and poor wear, plus it will rattle your teeth loose like Chris says, LOL.

Always
use the tire pressure on the door jamb of your vehicle. Inside doorjamb for our TJ's. The larger the tire (if going larger), the less pressure that is needed due to the increased volume.

For reference:
For on-road condition (cold tire pressure in the shade after you haven't driven for a few hours)

By tire diameter:
30's - 29 PSI (stock per Jeep, see your doorjamb)
31's - 28 PSI
32's - 27 PSI
33's - 26 PSI

P.S. I'll be using a 5 tire rotation every 3-5k, so this should help prevent excessive wear as well.

Hey Matt, I didn't see a reply...looks like you may have accidentally lost your text.

Good info on the psi @mots . I agree with you and @jodomcfrodo about rotating tires. I just don't do that. Because I'd rather buy 2 tires and spend $4-500 rather than 4 tires at $8-1000. Alot of tight wads do this. Lol

Good info on the psi @mots . I agree with you and @jodomcfrodo about rotating tires. I just don't do that. Because I'd rather buy 2 tires and spend $4-500 rather than 4 tires at $8-1000. Alot of tight wads do this. Lol

Cool, give that PSI a go and let us know how she rides. It should be a world of difference, especially if you are riding on rough city roads like me. I hear you, tires are expensive. Hope this helps with the wear. Over-inflated tires will wear like this:
overInflated.jpg

Reactions: Matt77
Winter tires are the best tires for snow...
I have the cooper stt (not the pro) sure they look cool but I don’t feel cool doing the aqua slide and abs failing on wet roads. They were ok in the snow this year as long as I didn’t drive like a complete idiot but I just know most other tires would be a far more sensible choice.

You do realize that buying two tires every two tires is the same as buying 4 tires every 4 years, right? You don't actually save any money, and having different diameter tires (unevenly worn) is very hard on a part time 4wd system.

You do realize that buying two tires every two tires is the same as buying 4 tires every 4 years, right? You don't actually save any money, and having different diameter tires (unevenly worn) is very hard on a part time 4wd system.
Your absolutely right Bobby! But like I said I only fork out 500 at time instead of 1000.00. :)