Best placement for USB

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
My 12 volt outlets behind the manual shift lever in my 03 just aren't that practical with cables coming down....please post pics of usb placement you guys enjoy.

Thanks in advance.
AndyG

I replaced the powerpoint with a switched USB port
DSCN0822[1].jpg

Doesn't really address your shifter interference issues though

Reactions: AndyG
Where might depend on what it's for.
In a previos jeep, I added a 12v power outlet and light inside my center console.

I think to optimally place the USB outlet, you need to think about where the other end of the cord will be. That way you can see what will interfere with what...

My 12 volt outlets behind the manual shift lever in my 03 just aren't that practical with cables coming down....please post pics of usb placement you guys enjoy.

Thanks in advance.
AndyG
I’d pic, but I’m in bed.
Mine is plugged into the outlet near the shifter on the dash, but runs immediately behind the center dash panel and up and out the top of the dash where my phone has a magnetic mount. I plug it in there. Hardly noticeable. Completely out of the way.

Reactions: Neal
I’d pic, but I’m in bed.
Mine is plugged into the outlet near the shifter on the dash, but runs immediately behind the center dash panel and up and out the top of the dash where my phone has a magnetic mount. I plug it in there. Hardly noticeable. Completely out of the way.
Do you know the brand.

I installed a 700W inverter on the passenger's side of my console. It's currently connected to the power port on the dashboard (red wire). I plan to hardwire it and run it through an original style switch that I will insert in the one blank that I have. The inverter has 2 12V ports and I inserted a double USB plug in one of them.

20-11-25 5.JPG

Fits Jeep TJ Wrangler INVERTER Rocker ONOFF Rubicon Sport S Limited 1997-2006 | eBay

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I mounted mine in the same location as others.

8FC544B5-7AD3-411F-B7F5-29E32C5C3EF5.jpeg

After this pic was taken I routed the cable between my console and the dash bezel.
The cable was then routed to the top of the dash where my GPS is located.

I installed a 700W inverter on the passenger's side of my console. It's currently connected to the power port on the dashboard (red wire). I plan to hardwire it and run it through an original style switch that I will insert in the one blank that I have. The inverter has 2 12V ports and I inserted a double USB plug in one of them.

Fits Jeep TJ Wrangler INVERTER Rocker ONOFF Rubicon Sport S Limited 1997-2006 | eBay
Mind if I ask what you use the inverter (120v) for?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Yeah; anything bigger, like power tools, would need a larger inverter hooked directly to the battery.
On my older jeep, I toyed with the idea of having a 120v outlet right on the dash.

Yeah; anything bigger, like power tools, would need a larger inverter hooked directly to the battery.
On my older jeep, I toyed with the idea of having a 120v outlet right on the dash.
I put one in mine - I had inherited a 400w inverter from my late father, so I thought "why not?". Its great for running a "real" hand vacuum to clean things up, or a soldering iron when I working on wiring in the Jeep, etc.

I put two power ports in the panel I built for my winch and locker controls. The lower one is a dual USB port while the upper one is a standard lighter receptacle. Like @JMT I ran a USB cable inside the center stack cover to the top of the dash to charge my phone or GPS without having the cord going all over the place getting caught on stuff. I still have one dedicated USB port on the lower unit and I can always put a dual adapter in the upper unit if I really want to have cords going all over the place getting caught on stuff.

362.JPG

Last edited:
I put two power ports in the panel I built for my winch and locker controls. The lower one is a dual USB port while the upper one is a standard lighter receptacle. Like @JMT I ran a USB cable inside the center stack cover to the top of the dash to charge my phone or GPS without having the cord going all over the place getting caught on stuff. I still have one dedicated USB port on the lower unit and I can always put a dual adapter in the upper unit if I really want to have cords going all over the place getting caught on stuff.

View attachment 205994
Have you posted any more details on the panel before on the forum? It looks very neat and tidy.