Best places to mount switches

Hey everyone,
I have spent a lot of time trying to find the best places to mount switches for accessories as all three of my stock switch locations are full. Does anyone have any suggestions or can you share where you put them?

Thanks

I would recommend mounting switches in the same area that the switches are from the factory instead of overhead or on top of the dash board.
Different ideas for how to mount switches have been explored on this thread and others on the forum. If you want a stock looking switch panel, you can replace the ashtray with a second stock switch panel
tjsswitch.jpg

There may be a how to guide for this somewhere on the forum, but I couldn't find it. The one I found is from Stu Offroad

If you want to have more room for a lot of switches, I found a guide on making an aluminum switch panel that takes the place of the factory switch panel and the ash tray. I've attached the guide as a PDF, or if you want to have the same solution but in a stock look I have the blueprints to a 3D printable switch panel that would look and feel like it came from the factory, but it fits the larger standard size switches.

Attachments

• Switch Panel Modification.pdf
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 354
Hey everyone,
I have spent a lot of time trying to find the best places to mount switches for accessories as all three of my stock switch locations are full. Does anyone have any suggestions or can you share where you put them?

Thanks
You haven't yet completed your Profile, which tells us things like your model year and other important details about your Jeep. What model year do you have? That makes a difference in what locations are available for switches.

Posting a photo of your dash in that area would be useful too.

Those locations look pretty slick. I have a 1998 and I was considering the 04-06 switch panel that has 4 spots in it but I don't think it will fit in mine. Plus it is only one extra slot and I would like to have more than that. Ill go ahead and update my profile. I just added an updated picture for my profile.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have a 1998 Sport with the 2.5L engine (thanks for all the help when I was doing the engine swap btw). Here is what I have so far for my electrical
91D3AFCC-4794-4214-B9FC-9B1CDC2A5348.jpeg

I have 2 Daystar switches for lights and a USB charger for my phone as I always seem to lose my cigarette outlet charger (my family likes to steal them). My two aux switches run to my lights upfront.
0A37C168-FED5-40AB-A81F-88DA33F121BE.jpeg

I would like some extra spots to add some switches so I figured this would be the best place to ask!

Reactions: JMT
I have a 1998 Sport with the 2.5L engine (thanks for all the help when I was doing the engine swap btw). Here is what I have so far for my electrical
.View attachment 171675
I have 2 Daystar switches for lights and a USB charger for my phone as I always seem to lose my cigarette outlet charger (my family likes to steal them). My two aux switches run to my lights upfront.View attachment 171677
I would like some extra spots to add some switches so I figured this would be the best place to ask!

I'll sell you my switch panel from my '97 when I get around to making my switch panel. No promises on when it'll be done though!

You have already done some work to get couple switches in place but if you wanted to start over the panel that I made is always an option, I'm sure I can find the instructions. Mine fits OTRATTW Switches and has room for lots of stuff.

image1-1.JPG
image1-2.JPGimage1.JPG

You have already done some work to get couple switches in place but if you wanted to start over the panel that I made is always an option, I'm sure I can find the instructions. Mine fits OTRATTW Switches and has room for lots of stuff.

View attachment 171685View attachment 171686View attachment 171687
I like the look of that, and I saw some instructions for it. It looks like it might just be easier for me to buy another stock 3 slot switch panel and cut out my ashtray spot. Id hate to lose it though because it holds a lot of change.

Another thing to consider!
I would like to mount an air tank for airing up tires. The group of guys that I ride with are all chipping in for me to get one. I was looking at one that would be used for an air horn like what all the truck guys run. Any idea where the best place to mount it would be?

I put the instructions for that panel in my post. I'm planning on going that route. Any suggestions or tips for making it?

If you wanna spend a bunch of money, sPod and/or custom OTRATTW switches are nice

I installed the mod shown on the first post...replaced the ash tray with 3 switches and a dual USB port. You can find factory looking aftermarket switches which install in same manner on eBay, about $17 each. I also added a relay panel under the hood to control everything.

E7B74AE6-397F-46D2-8C10-36CDAC3D6E93.jpeg

Reactions: Nomaybes
I put the instructions for that panel in my post. I'm planning on going that route. Any suggestions or tips for making it?

Just be as precise as you can with your measurements. Fitting the OTRATTW switch block in there was a real tight fit seeing as that's not what it was designed for, but mine worked out really well I think. Not sure which instructions you have but if I remember correctly I think there was a measurement or two missing and you just had to kind of fill in the blanks.