Best product to reduce heat from transmission tunnel?

It's a cheesy website. But this stuff is used across the hotrod industry. Read the specs. It's cheap and light. And blocks 97% of heat transfer. I'm putting it down over sound deadener.

I would avoid the Home Depot stuff. It's very thin. And known to off gas. As well as bleed if the car gets to hot. If you want sound deadener go with Noico. Or Second Skin if you can get the "B" quality stuff on sale.

But even just this stuff below will sound deaden and block heat transfer. You could use it by itself with great results.

http://www.carinsulation.com/buycarinsulation.html

Peel & Seal is sold at Lowe's and Home Depot, and works great. In fact, that's what I just did this weekend on my wife's Mazda before installing the new carpet. Took two rolls of it, and cost about $30. I've used it in the past, and recommend it. Same stuff Jerry is referring to, I believe.
View attachment 42691

Dang that is A LOT cheaper! The mat Chris shows above is 80 mil. Do you know how thick this is?

Dang that is A LOT cheaper! The mat Chris shows above is 80 mil. Do you know how thick this is?
Peel & Seal is .045" thick. I know folks have voiced their concerns about outgassing/odor and whatnot, but I have done two cars with it, and experienced no ill affects whatsoever. If you can afford something better, then by all means, go for it. But for those of us on a tighter budget, this stuff is fantastic, and I still have no problem recommending it. :)

Reactions: Willys LJ
Peel & Seal is .045" thick. I know folks have voiced their concerns about outgassing/odor and whatnot, but I have done two cars with it, and experienced no ill affects whatsoever. If you can afford something better, then by all means, go for it. But for those of us on a tighter budget, this stuff is fantastic, and I still have no problem recommending it. :)

Thanks, I always have a budget as well. So the odor is low? I'm sensitive to crap like that, my daughter used to bathe in a certain perfume and I had to open the windows in our house for hours to get rid of it.

Thanks, I always have a budget as well. So the odor is low? I'm sensitive to crap like that, my daughter used to bathe in a certain perfume and I had to open the windows in our house for hours to get rid of it.
My wife is sensitive to odors, as well (damn those bean burritos, anyways!), and she never commented on either of the cars emitting any sort of noxious fumes in the interior. You could buy a small roll of it and just keep it around for a while, paying attention to whether or not you notice any odor. You know, open the packaging, unroll it a bit, and just leave it in the Jeep on a hot, sunny day. A relatively cheap experiment...

Reactions: mgroeger
I realize this stuff says "sound deadening", but it also reduces noise (obviously), as well as heat:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URUIKAK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The reviews are telling, so check them out. I plan on using this stuff myself.

Looks good and I would use this as well. I have to crack up at the accompanying video although it is very well done. It makes it sound like you are ready to embark on an exciting adventure.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Rather than pay big $$$ for foil backed insulation made for automotive use, check out the foil backed roofing insulation sold in your local Home Depot. Pretty much the same thing if you can find what I saw.

Yeah but does it have the exciting accompanying Noico video that makes it sound like you are about to embark on a unique adventure? The video, although well done, just cracks me up.

I'm a flip flop guy and the first thing I do is kick them off when I get in. I have never noticed the floor being anything close to hot, just slightly warm. Do you have the waffle aluminum heat shield? Mine looks factory and blocks nearly all of the heat.

I'm a flip flop guy and the first thing I do is kick them off when I get in. I have never noticed the floor being anything close to hot, just slightly warm. Do you have the waffle aluminum heat shield? Mine looks factory and blocks nearly all of the heat.
Waffle aluminum heat shield? Sounds like a previous owner installed a heat shield. The only factory installed heat shield in a stock TJ is a small sheet metal shield over the top of the catalytic converter.

I used the Eastwood equivalent to noico 80 plus the noico 170 and me and my passengers feet no longer sweat profusely when on the trail.

X2 for the noico. Has really made a huge difference in sound and thermal transmission

DDA01658-0D66-4EE7-88F7-C42F8D1751C7.jpeg

PO put bedliner in the tub. No carpet. Would any of the things mentioned stick to it?

I would think you'd be ok as long as you get it cleaned really good. Run to Home Depot and buy a cheap roll of this stuff, it's in the roofing section and do a little test spot on your Jeep to see how well and how long it sticks. Personally I think I will be going the roofing material route as it's a fraction of the cost and only a little thinner. Others have done this as well.

I would think you'd be ok as long as you get it cleaned really good. Run to Home Depot and buy a cheap roll of this stuff, it's in the roofing section and do a little test spot on your Jeep to see how well and how long it sticks. Personally I think I will be going the roofing material route as it's a fraction of the cost and only a little thinner. Others have done this as well.

Noico is cheap. It works well.