Best Quick Release Mirrors

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
What mirrors do you guys use when you take your doors off? And do you like them? Why or why not?

I bought the relocation bracket and the cheaper quadratec mirrors. I did not like the thumb screw that came with the mirrors because they were a PIA to get tight enough to keep the mirrors from folding in on the highway, so I went to lowe's and purchased two bolts to replace them. I then sprayed the bolts with rustoleum to put a cheap coat on them and then tightened them down. Works great and have not moved except when a tree hit it on the trail (very tight trail and I should have taken the mirrors off before heading down it).

I use a bicycle mirror with a nut at the bottom, it only used to be legal, can't see much out of it lol.

mirror.jpg

Timely thread, was recently thinking about pulling my doors.
There are at least three other threads on this forum about doorless mirrors. I read them all but no one had any wonderful solutions, except the motorcycle mirrors. Every design had problems, rattling in the hinges, unable to see passenger side, doors opening when re-installed and hitting the relocation brackets. The American Outlaws Mirrors mentioned by @VirtualRussel look problem free, if, as he said, you can stomach the $125. I'm thinking of stopping by the local motorcycle shop or designing some myself to solve these problems and save some green. Still looking for a simple, cost-effective mirror. I'd be willing to spend $60-70 for such a set...

The Quadratec ones I linked to are only $50 and have been excellent. As long as you tighten the screws on the mounting arm and get the nuts tight on the hinge they don't rattle at all. Well, any more than the stock ones do on the door due to this being a Jeep and all ;-)

The Quadratec ones I linked to are only $50 and have been excellent. As long as you tighten the screws on the mounting arm and get the nuts tight on the hinge they don't rattle at all. Well, any more than the stock ones do on the door due to this being a Jeep and all ;-)
That's good to know because on the Quadratec website they have a review of a guy who gave them one star and was whining and moaning about them. Said they were crap!

I saw that review when I went to find the link to share. It took all of my self control to answer back that the guy needs to man up and learn how to tighten a few screws.

I will admit, when I first put them on they did tend to move when I was at highway speeds but you just tighten down the three screws on the back at the ball hinge mount and you're good to go. I have no idea what whistle he's talking about because none of them (2 pairs) do it on either of my LJs.

Reactions: TomP and JMT
I run these...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TDV3JK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The bracket mounts to existing holes on the windshield pillar. I only run a driver side mirror since our state law only requires 2 rear view mirrors total. Yes, you have to remove the mirror to put your hard doors back on, but the brackets can stay as long as you use your door stop straps. It's one wing nut and a bolt guys. Keep a cheap pair of pliers in the rig to cinch up the wing nut. It stays put on the interstate at 75mph no prob.
20170425_124954.jpg

20170425_125003.jpg

Reactions: VirtualRussel
I'm reading the laws in TX and all we have to have is one mirror which you can see behind you up to 200 feet. So the interior rearview mirror should be fine! Still, thanks for all the suggestions. Helpful, and if I ever get out of TX doorless (a difficult thing to do since it's 6-8 hours no matter which way I go), I will have some on hand...And might be a good idea anyway. Driving doorless for the first time today was totally awesome! Weather is perfect, breeze, the quiet. No other driving experience compares!

Reactions: RussTJ and KCsTJ
I'm reading the laws in TX and all we have to have is one mirror which you can see behind you up to 200 feet. So the interior rearview mirror should be fine! Still, thanks for all the suggestions. Helpful, and if I ever get out of TX doorless (a difficult thing to do since it's 6-8 hours no matter which way I go), I will have some on hand...And might be a good idea anyway. Driving doorless for the first time today was totally awesome! Weather is perfect, breeze, the quiet. No other driving experience compares!

Have you ridden a motorcycle? :emoji_motorcycle:

I'm reading the laws in TX and all we have to have is one mirror which you can see behind you up to 200 feet.

I checked the the laws in Michigan a number of years ago because I was tired of so-called experts who heard it from someone that had a friend that heard it from a law enforcement officer they were 3rd cousins with telling everyone else what the rule was. In Michigan, interestingly enough, we only have to have a driver side mirror. We don't have to have a center mount mirror which is typically the prevailing thought around here from the aforementioned crowd.

For that one time I do get pulled over I keep a note in my glove box reminding me to refer to Michigan Vehicle Code, Act 300 of 1949, 257.708 Mirrors, Sec. 708.

Reactions: Mikester86
Wanted to bring this back around... I'm looking to purchase some of the quadratec one (https://www.quadratec.com/products/13111_0410_14.htm) and wondering if anyone else has these, or a different style like these, with a quick release, and how you like them?

It really depends on the day whether or not the doors are on or off, so I'd like something that is a quick release style... and although we don't need mirrors I prefer to have them, safety and all.

I don't think any of them are very good, but that's me, they shake, they blow in the wind, they move out of adjustment. I gave up and just use my brains. Topless and doorless you can see everywhere as long as you take your time. I live in a small town too, so it may not be the same if you live in a big city.

Reactions: Cole
I got the Quadratec mirrors that go into the hinge as I did not want to mess with any other screws or have brackets remaining on with doors on. It has been a little cool for doors off lately so not much more than a trip around the block yet but the quality is better than the cheap ones I returned to Amazon.

YJFgVMR7Q36P7Udg97jbNw.jpg

I got the Quadratec mirrors that go into the hinge as I did not want to mess with any other screws or have brackets remaining on with doors on. It has been a little cool for doors off lately so not much more than a trip around the block yet but the quality is better than the cheap ones I returned to Amazon.

View attachment 84720
Do those stay put pretty well?

Do those stay put pretty well?

I have not driven much with them on. I will say though, Quadratec includes rubber washers to protect the top and bottom surfaces of the door hinge. I used the rubber washers and after tightening the nuts pretty well I could still move the mirror shaft in the door hinge. If I have trouble with them folding in I will just remove the rubber washers, I'm quite sure they will remain in place then. The ball joint in the back of the mirror is very tight so no worries there.