Best Replacement Water Pump?

jodomcfrodo

Antagonist and Dick
Supporting Member
Hi all,
I figured out that the mystery coolant leak I've been having is the water pump. After many failed NAPA replacement pumps, I'm looking for the best, most reliable brand of water pump that I can buy. What brand would be the best for replacing my water pump?

My jeep is a 2001 4.0.

Thanks!

How long did your factory Mopar water pump last?

16 years. But as far as I understand, the current mopar ones I can buy are rebuilt units. Going to the dealer and getting a pump would certainly be the easiest route and was my plan unless any better options were raised.

I had issues with mopar fuel pumps, even though my factory pump laster 15 years. That lead me to believe that current mopar quality isn't the same as it was in 2001.

I bought my Mopar pump off of eBay last year. It was a brand new unit.

Go Mopar and you can certainly easily find them cheaper than from the dealer who charges full price. Sites like www.wermopar.com offer discounted Mopar parts. Mopar 5012366AA is what you want. Understand that searching that p/n is also going to produce cheap aftermarket water pumps.

Go Mopar and you can certainly easily find them cheaper than from the dealer who charges full price. Sites like www.wermopar.com offer discounted Mopar parts. Mopar 5012366AA is what you want. Understand that searching that p/n is also going to produce cheap aftermarket water pumps.

I'm ordering of mymoparparts.com so I can get the pump here tomorrow from a dealer 20 miles away. The part number I found is 68382492AA. Is there a difference between 68382492AA and 5012366AA?

Could not find a mopar original OE pump for my 1998 TJ, I don't think they exist any more. Tried the above Moparfactoryparts.com . Is the AC Delco Gold waterpump from Rock Auto any good?

The OEM 99 and older pump is 04626054. Over the years they updated it multiple times to a final 04626054AF which is a flaming pile of parts store garbage, thrown into a Mopar box/bag. A few years ago Mopar released 68382489AA which is a newer version and seems to be better. It’s close to $200 so it certainly should be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The OEM 99 and older pump is 04626054. Over the years they updated it multiple times to a final 04626054AF which is a flaming pile of parts store garbage. A few years ago Mopar released 68382489AA which is a newer version and seems to be better. It’s close to $200 so it certainly should be better.

Thank you so much!! That really helped clarify my confusion. I don't mind the higher price if I can get many years out of it. I'm very nervous on the choice as I plan to drive the Jeep off road in California mountains/desert and do not want to overheat. Thanks!

Reactions: machoheadgames