Best Replacement Water Pump?

Thank you so much!! That really helped clarify my confusion. I don't mind the higher price if I can get many years out of it. I'm very nervous on the choice as I plan to drive the Jeep off road in California mountains/desert and do not want to overheat. Thanks!

I have had one of those on the shelf a few years. Haven’t driven the Jeep much so I have not installed it, Aka I can’t speak to its quality/longevity. BUT it was for a sure a different part than the cheap old AF number I had been using. I compared one of those to a parts store and they were exactly the same. Been several talks on the other forums about that.

I have a hunch that Mopar saw the complaints about water pumps and how many people want to keep using genuine parts so they rereleased an OEM quality option again. So I’d for sure give that one a shot if you can stomach the $200.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I think I have the 04626054AF, which I put in about 10 years ago. Was super skeptical when I got it, the housing looked just like the cheaper auto parts store ones. House inlet wasn't machined smooth. I ended up running it though, no issues so far. If there's a newer version though that looks like the original I probably go with that though.

I think I have the 04626054AF, which I put in about 10 years ago. Was super skeptical when I got it, the housing looked just like the cheaper auto parts store ones. House inlet wasn't machined smooth. I ended up running it though, no issues so far. If there's a newer version though that looks like the original I probably go with that though.

Mine died in like a year. Could be misfortune I guess, but I was irritated. Ended up using a $30 Gates from Napa. It sucked also, it’s making a bearing noise by now but I’m not driving it so I haven’t messed with it. Definitely curious to see how the new part number goes for me once I install it and hit the road again.

My water pump just went out in my 98 TJ I bought a Flowkooler 1748 from Summit for $119 out the door will get it this week only thing it doesn't come with a gasket , check it out not too expensive , built to last , I'll be changing my thermostat to a 180-185 to keep my pride and joy running cool on or off road .

I put one in 7 years ago, no issues.
Unfortunately, I don't remember what brand.
I'd like to think I bought an oem one.

I'll be changing my thermostat to a 180-185 to keep my pride and joy running cool on or off road .
No, don't do that. The engine will not (!) run any cooler in warm or hot conditions with a lower temperature thermostat. A thermostat has just two jobs: 1) help the engine warm up faster and 2) set a minimum temperature in cold conditions. It cannot help an engine run cooler on warm or hot days. Stick with the factory specified 195 degree thermostat which the PCM was programmed around and the engine will be happier at the 210 degrees or close engine temp the correct 195 degree model thermostat will cause. Plus the engine runs more efficiently at that temperature. Not to mention an engine will only run cooler with a lower temperature thermostat in cold conditions.

No, don't do that. The engine will not (!) run any cooler in hot conditions with a lower temperature thermostat. A thermostat has just two jobs: 1) help the engine warm up faster and 2) set a minimum temperature in cold conditions. It cannot help an engine run cooler on warm or hot days. Stick with the factory specified 195 degree thermostat which the PCM was programmed around and the engine will be happier at the 210 degrees or close engine temp the correct 195 degree model thermostat will cause. Plus the engine runs more efficiently at that temperature.

Sorry about I meant 210 degrees sorry for my mis spell I usually run about 195 degrees yes with a 185 .

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Hi all,
I figured out that the mystery coolant leak I've been having is the water pump. After many failed NAPA replacement pumps, I'm looking for the best, most reliable brand of water pump that I can buy. What brand would be the best for replacing my water pump?

My jeep is a 2001 4.0.

Thanks!

I have a 98 TJ I heard noise in the front of my motor sound like than fan was ready to fly off it was my water pump I was going to buy a gates and another jeep guy told me to do my research on this FlowKooler it's built to the hilt . I ordered it from Summit

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I have a 98 TJ I heard noise in the front of my motor sound like than fan was ready to fly off it was my water pump I was going to buy a gates and another jeep guy told me to do my research on this FlowKooler it's built to the hilt . I ordered it from Summit

I don't know about FlowKooler, but don't fall for more is better advertising.
If the coolant flows through the radiator too fast it doesn't have time to actually dissipate its heat.
Or is that just a myth? :cautious:

I don't know about FlowKooler, but don't fall for more is better advertising.
If the coolant flows through the radiator too fast it doesn't have time to actually dissipate its heat.
Or is that just a myth? :cautious:

Myth. The delta (Temperature in minus temperature out) will be smaller but the actual BTU/h (or kW if you prefer) transferred will be greater.

However, that still doesn't mean there's any good reason to increase flow over stock. The same principle applies in the water jacket, with the potential of changing the relationship of cylinder head and block temp vs coolant temp, which isn't something we have an easy way to keep an eye on. But having the engine acting like the ect is 185 when it's actually 195 probably isn't any better than running the wrong thermostat.

I was about to order the OEM 68382489AA, but the dealer can't verify my VIN for fitment. I've had that issue in the past and if I try t search on moparfactoryparts.com with it I can't get results either.

My VIN is 1J4F459SX1P304875 and it's a 2002 Sahara 4.0 Right Hand drive in Thailand.. probably made in Malaysia. I guess the confusing thing is that it seems to be a 2002 VIN but says made in 2001?

It also says on moparfactoryparts.com 68382489AA wont fit a 2002 TJ, but 68382492AA instead? How do I figure out which one fits, if nobody can verify my VIN? Also sometimes there are right hand drive versions of things, which could be a show stopper.

I don't have any local Jeep mechanic I could ask.. since Jeeps are not sold in thailand, only imported..

I can only see that part below, since the part number is behind the pully which would mean a lot of disassembly...

IMG_20230207_201349.jpg

Last edited:
googled a picture of the older (68382489AA) and the newer one (68382492AA).. and just checked.. mine is all straight on the top side (68382492AA), while the old one has a curve (68382489AA)

can somebody confirm?

68382489AA.jpg

68382492AA.jpg