Best roll bar covers?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I was going to paint my roll bar covers. As they are sun damaged. I don't recall the aftermarket brand. But the zippers are pretty trashed from the salt air here. So I've decided to just replace them. Some of them I've looked at don't seem to run all the way down the bars.

What are the best options for roll bar covers?

Bestop? SMittybilt? Sub $100 would be nice. I saw one brand recommended recently for $70. Forgot which brand it was though.

I don't have the original foam pads. I think it's just soft foam under the roll bar covers that came with these aftermarket covers? Not sure every brand comes with new foam or if you have to use oem foam under them?

I took mine off and left them off.
20170519_073221.jpg

I took mine off and left them off.
View attachment 84761

That works too. lol. What did you paint your flares with? They look great.

I just got to the planning stages and figured out after taking them all apart, washing them, drying them, painting them and putting them back on. It would be alot easier and not to much more expensive to just replaced them. And I wasn't sure the zippers were gonna go back together either. So it might have been a complete waste of time and money.

Basically my Jeep was left out in the socal sun for years with the top off. And everything is sun faded. In the process of replacing just about everything in the interior. Seats, carpet, roll bar covers, door panels repainted etc. etc.

That works too. lol. What did you paint your flares with? They look great.

I just got to the planning stages and figured out after taking them all apart, washing them, drying them, painting them and putting them back on. It would be alot easier and not to much more expensive to just replaced them. And I wasn't sure the zippers were gonna go back together either. So it might have been a complete waste of time and money.

Basically my Jeep was left out in the socal sun for years with the top off. And everything is sun faded. In the process of replacing just about everything in the interior. Seats, carpet, roll bar covers, door panels repainted etc. etc.

That was the reason I took mine off. They were faded. I painted the flares with SEM trim black.

Reactions: MikekiM
Anybody got recommendations for new covers and padding? All the reviews on Amazon say everything sucks excpet $250 Bestop. I guess I'll repaint if I can't find a replacement that doesn't suck.

I have an 06 LJ and have been looking for covers everywhere. Everyone says they have em' to fit the unlimited, but they don't! I ordered one set from BestTop for $160 and they were super nice - except they didn't fit so I returned them. I ordered a set from Smittbilt for $138 with Molle webbing. Very nicely made and look like they would be awesome, except they don't fit either (returning them now). For the quality of the materials I think they are both pretty good. If anyone has a suggestion for an LJ I would love to hear it!

I have an 06 LJ and have been looking for covers everywhere. Everyone says they have em' to fit the unlimited, but they don't! I ordered one set from BestTop for $160 and they were super nice - except they didn't fit so I returned them. I ordered a set from Smittbilt for $138 with Molle webbing. Very nicely made and look like they would be awesome, except they don't fit either (returning them now). For the quality of the materials I think they are both pretty good. If anyone has a suggestion for an LJ I would love to hear it!
I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but Bestop is the OEM supplieer for the LJ top and the TJ top, it seems very odd to me that Bestop would market roll bar padding for an LJ and it not fit, they may be the OEM rollbar padding supplier (total guess with no evidence)... You claimed to have had the same problem with Smittybuilt. (I dont doubt that)

Any chance you worked with Bestop's customer service on this issue?

And do you have any pictures showing that the Bestop LJ roll bar padding doesnt fit on an LJ?

Last edited:
You know, this might sound silly, but I removed my roll bar covers a while ago and you know the biggest thing I noticed? I have a lot more vision looking out the side. Especially when you are on the road and going to change lanes and look over your shoulder out the side window. I usually have the hard top on most of the time. I have left the covers and padding on the bars beside my head though! The one that goes to the windscreen.

Did you ever find covers? I'm looking at Candy Covers LJ kit which looks pretty nice but I don't really want to spend $400 on roll bar covers.

Question for you: what part of the zipper was trashed? If the teeth are okay but the slider and pull tab are shot, you can replace those pretty easily.

I cut up my pads to make room for my roll cage. I needed to add a couple zippers to make up for some of the cuts. It worked out well and was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I was considering leaving the pads off until someone pointed out that my height might mean I’d smack my head against an unpadded bar during an unexpected bounce.

Last edited:
If it was me, i'd try to resurrect them first with the fabric paint before tossing them and buying new ones. What do you have to lose (besides a few bucks)?

I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but Bestop is the OEM supplieer for the LJ top and the TJ top, it seems very odd to me that Bestop would market roll bar padding for an LJ and it not fit, they may be the OEM rollbar padding supplier (total guess with no evidence)... You claimed to have had the same problem with Smittybuilt. (I dont doubt that)

Any chance you worked with Bestop's customer service on this issue?

And do you have any pictures showing that the Bestop LJ roll bar padding doesnt fit on an LJ?

I did talk to Bestop directly, and to three different websites that listed them as fitting the LJ (Quadratec being one). They don't make them for the LJ anymore. I ended up stitching up the couple minor tears and using black fabric / upholstery "paint" from advanced auto. It looked a lot better and has held up for a few months. If you have a TJ I would totally recommend their covers however as I was super impressed with the material, zippers, etc. Mastertop on Extreme Terrains says they have covers that fit - they don't. (also super nice though) Smittybilt molle replacement covers on 21 Auto - also don't fit.
57686062616__A5EC119B-05E4-4FD8-86C0-8FA7388CB571.JPG

I did talk to Bestop directly, and to three different websites that listed them as fitting the LJ (Quadratec being one). They don't make them for the LJ anymore. I ended up stitching up the couple minor tears and using black fabric / upholstery "paint" from advanced auto. It looked a lot better and has held up for a few months. If you have a TJ I would totally recommend their covers however as I was super impressed with the material, zippers, etc. Mastertop on Extreme Terrains says they have covers that fit - they don't. (also super nice though) Smittybilt molle replacement covers on 21 Auto - also don't fit. View attachment 101304
I should also mention - I don't blame the manufacturers, I think it was confusion with the retail websites. Many of them will lump the LJ's and TJ's together.

I'm taking mine off now. Prefer the naked bar look. 2006 Rubicon. Black. In good shape. I think PO must have always had a top on. I'm way up in NY by Saratoga. If anyone wants them cover shipping and they are yours. Have all the foam too. Although that will take up a pretty long box to ship. Either way, if someone wants them.😁

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I'm taking mine off now. Prefer the naked bar look. 2006 Rubicon. Black. In good shape. I think PO must have always had a top on. I'm way up in NY by Saratoga. If anyone wants them cover shipping and they are yours. Have all the foam too. Although that will take up a pretty long box to ship. Either way, if someone wants them.😁
That is awesome - one of the reasons I like this group! I am good for now, I bet somebody will hop on that offer!

Before getting rid of it, let me know. I might be interested in the foam padding too.