Best route for rusted windshield frame (replace or repair?)

TJ-Joe

So my windshield frame has rusted to sh*t on the bottom as it commonly does on the TJ. It’s gotten bad to the point I think it needs replacing soon.

What is the best route to go? Replace or fix?

Replace- look at junkyards and online for parted jeeps. Preferably also flame red to replace entire frame

Repair- buy the repair kit below and have body shop weld in & paint

I’m not sure what is the better way to go. I’m leaning towards the repair route because I won’t have to worry about the outside of the windshield frame matching the rest of the body. I can just have the shop paint only the inside where the patch is welded.

Is the patch fix stable and going to last? Has anyone done something similar to this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=303665285240

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I did it. If you search I'm sure you can find the thread I documented it in.

The outcome is if you can find a clean one in the right color with good glass, that'll be your cheapest, best, and easiest option.

I have found that color matching isn't really an issue when buying used parts. So long as the paint is in good shape anyway and not rusted or flaking from heat/sun.

There is a good chance the rust damage is not limited to that one side of the windshield frame. I would look for a used one in the right color but even that does not guarantee against hidden rust.

If you are adventurous, maybe the best solution is the use the money that you would pay the body shop for the structural repair and buy a welder and learn on a part of the Jeep that is neither real noticeable nor dangerous if done poorly?

I'm in the rust belt and it's amazing how many shops won't fix rust, just collision damage. Of the ones that will fix rust, most of them are not the best at what they do and if it does end up looking good that's still not a guarantee it will look that way beyond some minor warranty.

Following Stinkbug's adventurous suggestion is probably the best route to take IF you can't find a decent replacement and have some spare time.

Replace it with one from a 97-02. Whatever they changed from 03 and up, they all seem to rot out.

This is what I would do and what I did. Try to find one the same color, if not, you'll have to have it painted. If it's rusted inside it'll be rusted on the bottom and I guarantee it's working its way thru to the front. That's what mine did.

This is what I would do and what I did. Try to find one the same color, if not, you'll have to have it painted. If it's rusted inside it'll be rusted on the bottom and I guarantee it's working its way thru to the front. That's what mine did.
There was no metal left on the bottom of my 05's. Picked one up from an 02 that was in great shape!

Reactions: hardtailpan