Best shocks for 2” lift?

Reactions: JMT
I would consider going one size longer and add some bump stop extension to bring the travel bias back closer to ~50/50.

Rancho RS55239
Rancho RS55241

BS extension would be about 1.5 on both ends.

thats what I needed to know-———-thanks again-——-what size tires are you running on your jeep? 99% of the time I just drive it around town so I don't need the 10 ply tires-——--what would you suggest?? in load rang C of course-————-

thats what I needed to know-———-thanks again-——-what size tires are you running on your jeep? 99% of the time I just drive it around town so I don't need the 10 ply tires-——--what would you suggest?? in load rang C of course-————-
For a 2" lift I'd go nothing taller than 32". A 32x11.50 like BFG's Mud Terrain KM2 performs well, is quieter than many offroad tires, wears well, and most people like their looks too.

Reactions: jjvw
Just go with 31x10.5’s and call it a day. They are plentiful and would look great, a good compromise at 2”

So, I have an OME 2 inch lift but got about 2-1/2 inches of lift with HD springs and a spacer in the front to level the rake out. I want to swap out the OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks for RS5000x’s.

I’m guessing the RS55239/RS55241 shocks would be what I want too, correct?

It looks to me that the next higher shocks are for 3+ inches.

So, I have an OME 2 inch lift but got about 2-1/2 inches of lift with HD springs and a spacer in the front to level the rake out. I want to swap out the OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks for RS5000x’s.

I’m guessing the RS55239/RS55241 shocks would be what I want too, correct?

It looks to me that the next higher shocks are for 3+ inches.
What tire size? How much bump stop? Do you have a body lift?

- 31x10.50-15,
- 2 inches each side up front (2 hockey pucks on each side)
- 2 inch OME bump stop spacers out back
- no body lift (I have a 1.25 JKS kit but it's not installed. I got it and the Brown Dog MML with the OME Ultimate kit in case I was to put 33's on down the road sometime)

The OME shocks are 60047 front, 60048 rear. I don't know what the compressed or extended lengths are. I didn't measure them before installing. Dirk, at DPG, said they would be the ones I need for that kit.

Just looking for a little softer ride than what the OME Nitro Sports offer. I've talked to a few people about them, just want to make sure I get the correct ones.

Last edited:
I did find this info online.

OME 60047 front
Extended Length: 22.24 In
Compressed Length: 13.14 In

Rancho 55239 front
Extended Length: 23.840 in
Compressed Length: 14.430 in

——-

OME 60048 Rear
Extended Length: 22 In
Compressed Length: 13.3 In

Rancho RS55241 Rear
Extended Length: 21.688 in
Compressed Length: 13.688 in

I'd like to share my 2 recent experiences on changing shocks.

I purchased a 2" RE budget boost lift from JMT, which has Bilstein 5100 shocks. Installed it on a 2002 TJ wrangler, which was all stock at 129k miles, and rode good but very plush. The Bilsteins firmed the front up, and rides very good. Can't really say that the rear axle is any more stiff with the Bilstein's than the stockers.

I compressed the Bilstein shocks by hand, and they are noticeably stiffer than the Rancho 5000x, and a lot stiffer than the stock Mopar shocks that they replaced. Overall I am still pleased with the Bilstein's.

Jeep #2 is my Mom's 2005 Rubicon TJ with 159k miles, all stock(or so I thought). Been driving the Rubicon off and on since February 2018, and it had a set of front white Gabreille shocks which looked weathered, the rears appeared new, blue in color, maybe AC delco. I have noticed that the Rubicon has a nasty hit in the rear and would rock side to side when crossing certain entrances to a parking lot from a highway. Small annoyances, but still there none the less. Mom said a few things about the ride as well, stating it only did it in certain places. The Rubicon drove and steered well, with no issues, other than the above stated ride quality.

So I bought her a set of Rancho 5000x, pn RS55128 and RS55240 for about $215 shipped. Upon installing them, I learned that her Rubicon has a 2"(measured it) spacer lift. I didn't drive it when it left my place, and she immediately texted me saying it rode completely different with the new 5000x shocks. This is a big deal because she is 81, and it made the Jeep that much more comfortable for her.

I finally drove the Rubicon today(2 weeks after install) and all the little hits and rocking jolts are gone. Drawing my comparisons from all the roads and routes that we both drive our own Jeeps on daily. I chose the Rancho 5000x shocks based solely on the many threads on this great forum.

To the OP, do get some load range C tires, this really matters on Jeeps, due to the lack of weight, E which is 10 ply is for 1 ton trucks, C is 6 ply, and affects the ride quality more than springs and shocks combined. Next is tire pressure, you need to be at 26-28psi cold, no more than 30 psi.

I would like to try a set of OME nitrochargers, have not drove on a set of those, would be nice to compare all three.

As for tires, I would get a set of 31x10.50-15 and be done with it, that's what I'm currently running and they are working good for now.

Reactions: JMT
...So I bought her a set of Rancho 5000x, pn RS55128 and RS55240...Upon installing them, I learned that her Rubicon has a 2"(measured it) spacer lift...
If the springs are healthy, and the spacers were not removed, those models are too short.

I'd like to share my 2 recent experiences on changing shocks.

I purchased a 2" RE budget boost lift from JMT, which has Bilstein 5100 shocks. Installed it on a 2002 TJ wrangler, which was all stock at 129k miles, and rode good but very plush. The Bilsteins firmed the front up, and rides very good. Can't really say that the rear axle is any more stiff with the Bilstein's than the stockers.

I compressed the Bilstein shocks by hand, and they are noticeably stiffer than the Rancho 5000x, and a lot stiffer than the stock Mopar shocks that they replaced. Overall I am still pleased with the Bilstein's.

Jeep #2 is my Mom's 2005 Rubicon TJ with 159k miles, all stock(or so I thought). Been driving the Rubicon off and on since February 2018, and it had a set of front white Gabreille shocks which looked weathered, the rears appeared new, blue in color, maybe AC delco. I have noticed that the Rubicon has a nasty hit in the rear and would rock side to side when crossing certain entrances to a parking lot from a highway. Small annoyances, but still there none the less. Mom said a few things about the ride as well, stating it only did it in certain places. The Rubicon drove and steered well, with no issues, other than the above stated ride quality.

So I bought her a set of Rancho 5000x, pn RS55128 and RS55240 for about $215 shipped. Upon installing them, I learned that her Rubicon has a 2"(measured it) spacer lift. I didn't drive it when it left my place, and she immediately texted me saying it rode completely different with the new 5000x shocks. This is a big deal because she is 81, and it made the Jeep that much more comfortable for her.

I finally drove the Rubicon today(2 weeks after install) and all the little hits and rocking jolts are gone. Drawing my comparisons from all the roads and routes that we both drive our own Jeeps on daily. I chose the Rancho 5000x shocks based solely on the many threads on this great forum.

To the OP, do get some load range C tires, this really matters on Jeeps, due to the lack of weight, E which is 10 ply is for 1 ton trucks, C is 6 ply, and affects the ride quality more than springs and shocks combined. Next is tire pressure, you need to be at 26-28psi cold, no more than 30 psi.

I would like to try a set of OME nitrochargers, have not drove on a set of those, would be nice to compare all three.

As for tires, I would get a set of 31x10.50-15 and be done with it, that's what I'm currently running and they are working good for now.

Sweet baby Jesus please tell me your 81 year old mom wheels the shit out of her Rubicon

Reactions: zebra12
If the springs are healthy, and the spacers were not removed, those models are too short.

I agree with you. But I had no clue that the Rubicon had a spacer lift, and 4WP(2m_distributing on eBay) stated that those part #'s were good for 0-1.5" lift. I suspect the springs are worn and sagging, and am considering a set of H&R 1" springs to go with the shocks, and remove the spacer lift. The part that bother me the most is whoever installed the spacer lift did not add any bump stop.

Sweet baby Jesus please tell me your 81 year old mom wheels the shit out of her Rubicon

Funny you say that. Her previous car was a 2007 Cobalt, her first new car. She rolled it at 35 mph. At first she objected to the Jeep, but soon found out that the back opened up easy, and you could remove the rear seat. Then we took it for a couple runs on our 500 acre farm, climbing stuff and going thru washouts and canyons. I got the front left about 4 feet in the air with her in it, and it just crawled right out. She was unaware that such vehicles existed. I did wire the lockers switches to function in 4 high at any speed.

She tore the hell out of that Cobalt at the farm, crossing the creek and picking pecans, she got limbs hung up in the undercarriage multiple times. She would call me, and would have to come find her and cut the limb out. We also grew tired of working on the Cobalt; I don't have to jack the Rubicon up to do an oil change.

The irony in all of this is when she brought her Jeep home, I was told that no lift kits allowed on it. So 10 months later she finds out her Jeep is already lifted and she's been driving it......

Reactions: JMT and Thunderhead