Best shocks for a smooth ride?

EROCK

TJ Enthusiast
Hi, I have a 4in lift with 33s. Getting rid of the Previous Owners "Rough Country" shocks. What's the best Smooth ride shock?

That depends on your budget. If the sky's the limit then custom valved Fox shocks are great. But if your budget is more limited like mine is, it's REAL hard to beat Rancho's newer RS5000x which is gas-charged. Don't let anyone get confused and sell you the older hydraulic RS5000 which would make your Jeep ride like a buckboard wagon. :)

Rancho rs500xl RS55256 & RS55255

I have ran bilstein 5100, OME nitro sport, and Ranchos. The ranchos are by far the best riding. Also make sure your tire pressure is around 25-27psi.

If money is no object then outboard the rear, extend the front, and add 11/12 inch fox shocks with reservoirs with a custom tune for your jeep.

You are going to get all sorts of answers to this question. Really it is going to be a preference, and also how you use your jeep the most.

I am a fan of the monotube shocks myself for offroading. (OME, Billstiens) but they tend to be more expensive, and not really necessary for a daily driver that doesn't go off-road. For a cheaper good shock the Rancho 5000X are popular, but they are a dual tube shock. I am actually running those myself right now, but plan on upgrading soon enough, but I have not complaints for them as a daily driver.

I would say the Rancho 5000X will be the most popular solution, because they offer a good ride at a decent price.

I can't tell you the best smooth ride because yours and mines definition might be different. I ran the OME (Old Man Emu) Nitro sports with my 2 inch lift, and absolutely loved them, but when I went to my 4 inch lift I ran with the Ranchos because of the cost. Although, I don't have a loving relationship with them as I did with my OME, they are pretty nice.

That is my two cents worth

Reactions: EROCK
I've got the new Rancho RS5000X's on the jeep and they are fantastic! Didn't realize how much better the ride could be. I only got to drive about 2 miles or so because of a busy schedule but they are nice. Pretty easy install and very affordable.

Reactions: Alex01
That depends on your budget. If the sky's the limit then custom valved Fox shocks are great. But if your budget is more limited like mine is, it's REAL hard to beat Rancho's newer RS5000x which is gas-charged. Don't let anyone get confused and sell you the older hydraulic RS5000 which would make your Jeep ride like a buckboard wagon. :)
Jerry ,I know this is an older thread but something is going on ...

My 03 has rancho shocks that are white with red boots , I ordered 5000x , and KO2 tires ..my 05 has a plain white shock , no boots on them , and Cooper SST mud tires...the 05 rides significantly better...as in people that ride in both notice immediately .

My 03 shocks have 20,000 fairly easy miles , same low psi in all tires.

Thanks , any idea what shock may be on the 05, or if I don't have what I think on my 03?

Andy

If you're certain you actually received RS5000x for your '03, it's time to look at the KO2 tire Load Rating and air pressure values. Load Rating C, D, or E? And what air pressure is inside them and what size tires are they. Then compare that to the Load Rating and the air pressure inside the '05 tires, and what size are they.

Reactions: Goatman
The Rancho RS5000x is plain white with a sticker, so maybe someone removed the sticker. You can choose to use or not use the boots that come with any shock. I have the RS5000x, and while I left the sticker alone, I didn't use the boots. The bodys between the 5000 and 5000x are probably identical.

Reactions: AndyG
I only put "C" on my TJs , and try to stay at 26 psi.

I hope I recieved what I ordered , but at the time I doubt I would have known the difference . The invoice says RS 5000x .

I will get the air pressure gauge out and see what happens , and try to get an image of the different shocks to compare .

Thanks for taking time Jerry,
Andy

the 5000x are gas charged and the 5000 are not. Did the shocks extend on their own when you installed them?

They were lashed like gas charged should be ...and these are labeled 5000 x .

If there wasn't much difference in the two vehicles I wouldn't even post this but it is quite a difference.

Aren't the shock bodies stamped with their specific model number?

I'm on the 03 right now , these are 5000x. Labeled, came lashed , gas.

Will check the 05.