Best spray paint for plastic fender pieces?

Exactly what pieces are you talking about? But likely, Krylon Fusion aerosol satin black. Fusion is made for flexible plastics like vinyls.

For plastic, I'm a second vote for Krylon. Just make sure you really get into it during the clean/prep/wax/grease/oil removal stage.

SEM also makes a good product, but I’ve never used their "trim" paint.

Third vote for Krylon. Like @BlueC said. Prep Prep Prep. Wash them well make sure grease, wax, oil (even hand oil) are off them.

I really like the spray handle you can clip the spray can into. Makes it into a handle you squeeze instead of pushing down on the spray nozzle.

Reactions: BlueC
This was leftover two-part urethane catalyzed paint from what was in my mixing cup. Seems pretty flexible.

I think they sell the stuff in aerosol cans too where you push the pin and it mixes the two parts. Matte black in a can would be perfect for that job.

23858545-A154-44C5-9DA0-927379C10816.jpeg

Let me know!

I have had great results with Sem ultra trim matte black:

SEM Trim Black Ultra Automotive Spray Paint - 14.5 Ounce Can https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSYT6SK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It’s been 1.5 years since I applied it with no flaking or fading (the Jeep is always outside)

With that being said, the biggest factor isn’t the paint but the prep. Here are my suggestions:

1. Scotchbrite the hell out of whatever you are painting. You want to work off as much faded plastic material as possible. Rinsing with soap and water as you go helps. Roughing it up also helps tremendously with the surface tension and promotes “wetting” when the paint is applied.

2. Do not use solvents! Things like acetone, mineral spirits, paint thinner, etc. break down the plastic and will likely cause adhesion problems. Instead use a strong detergent like dawn dishsoap or simple green. Rinse with water thoroughly before actually painting and analyze the wet surface as you are rinsing. If it looks wet like the water is sort of soaking into it you are good to paint. If it is beading up then it needs more work first.

Good luck!

Reactions: 707kevin
Why wouldn't you do, and suggest, exactly what SEM says to do? They are very good at what they do and know exactly how to get the best results. There is no reason to guess.
https://www.semproducts.com/public/content/techsheets/TDS_trim_black_ultra.pdf

Like I said, I have had ideal long-ish term results with my method. And it wasn’t a guess, it came from working somewhere for years that paints plastic surfaces every day.
With plastic you have to know how to read your surface energy and get it high enough to get the plastic to cling to it and there are different ways to do that. I personally prefer abrading it over using adhesion promoters.
And there is nothing special about the SEM ultra tech sheet. It is fairly generic painting advice that tries to get you to buy more SEM products.

two-stage urethane - color matched to Rocky Mountain Edition - PAINT CODE ZDR - used Klean-strip BULLDOG adhesion promoter and abrasive prep/scrub

61eV6oOFB3S._SY500_.jpg

Perfect match to other 3 - took it down to bare plastic as this one was damaged by previous owner of rig the fenders were removed from. Can see damage on the right fender way at back.

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

Last edited: